Compact truck shown to dealers

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

We had the answer earlier, F-50. Rename the Ranger as F-100, then all 4 models can be counted as "F-series" sales,,,,,

HRG

While I support the idea of a small, FWD unibody PU... would you want such a vehicle to bear the F-Series designation?

It may do perfectly fine for whatever limited capability it would be designed for, it's just so much less capable and different than the bigger trucks that I wonder if it might upset truck purists.

3 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

We had the answer earlier, F-50. Rename the Ranger as F-100, then all 4 models can be counted as "F-series" sales,,,,,

HRG

I wonder how that would play in conjunction with the F-53 Class A Motorhome and F-59 Commercial stripped chassis?

"So, how come I can get a 7.3 gasser in the F-53, but not in the F-50?" :lol2:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I was under the impression why the E-150 went away was it was stuck in the no mans land when it came to CAFE due to its footprint. 

E150/E250 and the "van" versions of the E350/E450 were dropped because they did not meet, at the time, future crash standards.  Transit was scheduled for a major freshening at that time so the decision was to do only one of them.  (Few people know this, but EU could not figure out how to meet US crash standards.  A team from the US was sent over to show them "how to do it", but the new version was at least 1 year late from the original plan.)  IMHO, it was a major mistake to let EU make all of the decisions. 

• No "Titanium" edition for the US passenger van and the 2-passenger seat will only fit 2 occupants is they weigh less than 50 kg (110 lbs).  (Still no "Quad Captain's Chair" version like on the old Club Wagon Chateau.)
  • The rear air conditioning intrudes into the luggage area.  (Not available on cargo van versions.)
  • Tire size/selection is limited by the wheel openings. (Heavily loaded T350 vans experience short tire life.)
  • 4600 lbs tow limit on the passenger van is very low.
  • No integrated trailer brake control.
  • I never understood why it took so long to make AWD available in the US.  (Anyone thinking of "off roading" a Transit should look at how low the rear shock mounts are !)
  • How many customers have had their driveline flex joint ("giubo") replaced MORE THAN ONCE !

A lot of these could be excused for the first year or so.  Adding factory AWD is the only one they "fixed".  (Did they finally go to a proper "Hooke's joint" in 2020 ?) And where is the diesel option !

21 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I've been looking for one of those.  Love how those look.

A buddy of mine has a '56 F-100. He installed the drivetrain from a late '80s Crown Vic (fuel injected 5.0L, AOD and 8.8 rear axle) along with a Mustang II IFS. Super reliable. We drove it to the Good Guys show in York, PA last summer which was about 350 miles from his home in OH. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

• No "Titanium" edition for the US passenger van and the 2-passenger seat will only fit 2 occupants is they weigh less than 50 kg (110 lbs).  (Still no "Quad Captain's Chair" version like on the old Club Wagon Chateau.)
  • The rear air conditioning intrudes into the luggage area.  (Not available on cargo van versions.)

How much demand is there for a full size van to be used as a passenger vehicle? Its been 40+ years since vans where cool last. 

22 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

How much demand is there for a full size van to be used as a passenger vehicle? Its been 40+ years since vans where cool last. 

um...we sell a $hitload of Transit passenger vans....and now theres AWD....

4 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

E150/E250 and the "van" versions of the E350/E450 were dropped because they did not meet, at the time, future crash standards.  Transit was scheduled for a major freshening at that time so the decision was to do only one of them.  (Few people know this, but EU could not figure out how to meet US crash standards.  A team from the US was sent over to show them "how to do it", but the new version was at least 1 year late from the original plan.)  IMHO, it was a major mistake to let EU make all of the decisions. 

• Tire size/selection is limited by the wheel openings. (Heavily loaded T350 vans experience short tire life.)
  • 4600 lbs tow limit on the passenger van is very low.
  • No integrated trailer brake control.
  • I never understood why it took so long to make AWD available in the US.  (Anyone thinking of "off roading" a Transit should look at how low the rear shock mounts are !)
  • How many customers have had their driveline flex joint ("giubo") replaced MORE THAN ONCE !

A lot of these could be excused for the first year or so.  Adding factory AWD is the only one they "fixed".  (Did they finally go to a proper "Hooke's joint" in 2020 ?) And where is the diesel option !

IMO theres way too many variants full stop. Including the passenger variants last year there was 172 different configurations...and since then they have added AWD ( and its not aimed at off roaders...go spend 14k at Quigley if you want that, and deal with a higher COG, its for inclement weather purposes  )and also added were numerous seating variants...its absolutely asinine how many options there are avail. …. and there is a Trailer brake controller avail...as for the a/c are you referring to the extra a/c unit in  the back of the vans?...havent noticed any  large intrusions in the luggage area, but even if so, its a hell of a lot better than Sprinters rooftop alternative. The flex joint IS a quandry...and that "puck" is US only so may be to do with American drivetrains?...don't rightfully know, but the Puck is a perfect example of a fundamentally flawed design...and right now theres a commodity issue with Medium and High roof verisons...sheesh!

7 minutes ago, Deanh said:

um...we sell a $hitload of Transit passenger vans....and now theres AWD....

I think he means in the sense of a 4 captains chairs luxurious version.

The regular passenger models are sold to transport companies and whatnot.

34 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I've looked very seriously at a Transit PV or CV as a future vehicle. I'm more interested in practicality than being "cool".

Not sure where to buy shag carpeting nowadays,,,,,,

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I think he means in the sense of a 4 captains chairs luxurious version.

The regular passenger models are sold to transport companies and whatnot.

MEH, there was a miniscule market when that was avail. And no, a majority of retail sales pass vans are for familes. Theres also a huge fleet market for what you describe, but the retail market is alive and kicking...also seeing more and more converted vans...the Winnebago is outstanding...

Edited by Deanh

2 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I've looked very seriously at a Transit PV as a future vehicle. I'm more interested in practicality than being "cool".

Not sure where to buy shag carpeting nowadays,,,,,,

HRG

or mood lighting with Disco balls...

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

MEH, there was a miniscule market when that was avail. And no, a majority of retail sales pass vans are for familes. Theres also a huge fleet market for what you describe, but the retail market is alive and kicking...also seeing more and more converted vans...the Winnebago is outstanding...

RMC hit my point-its not like people are buying these things for the most part as minivan/SUV replacements. I get there is a need for passenger vans, but theoldwizards requests seem more like a luxury type vehicle to travel long distances in. 

Where I work we have a few Budget passenger vans for commuters-and they are far superior to any econoline passenger van I was ever in. 

The Camper conversions are pretty cool, but not really really a Ford product since they add in extra gear for AC and whatever that a passenger van that wizard wouldn't have. 

7 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

RMC hit my point-its not like people are buying these things for the most part as minivan/SUV replacements. I get there is a need for passenger vans, but theoldwizards requests seem more like a luxury type vehicle to travel long distances in. 

Where I work we have a few Budget passenger vans for commuters-and they are far superior to any econoline passenger van I was ever in. 

The Camper conversions are pretty cool, but not really really a Ford product since they add in extra gear for AC and whatever that a passenger van that wizard wouldn't have. 

Families love them, they have better packaging than anything else on the market...WAYYYYY superior to say an SUV with a third row. You got a family of 5  or six and go on holiday with a couple of the kids friends in tow and their luggage...theres really nothing better...The Winnebago we had in service was awesome...shower/ toilet the works ...

40 minutes ago, 630land said:

It will be interesting to see if uni-body pickup sells to Millennials or ends up like Scion xD's and Honda Element, favorite for elder drivers.

I don't care what anyone says...cheap WILL sell...some of the current line up are basically unattainable for a HUGE chunk of potential buyers...

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MGolden said:

Here is our family of 8 hauler. We had an Expedition and an E350 quigley. I agree the van is superior to the suv, at least for our family. The 3.5 ecoboost is ridiculously fast and fun in the transit.

20200312_164917.jpg

awesome...and Quigleys not cheap

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:30 PM, SoonerLS said:

I keep hearing that argument about names, but it doesn’t really make any sense to me. What they call a product that they don’t sell here doesn’t really have any impact on what they choose to call a product that they will sell here. 

If they do intend to make it a global product, it wouldn’t be the first time that Ford sold a vehicle with one name in the US and another elsewhere (*cough*Fusion*cough*Mondeo*cough*). 

Really, though, they ought to call this one Courier so they can save Ranchero for the next entry in the Mustang lineup...

:stirpot:

Fusion/Mondeo, Escape/Kuga, and Ka/Figo are different cases since those were about merging similar cars together.

This is an all-new market. Ford will only use one name.

10 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

So, today, what is the difference between a Transit Courier and a Transit Connect ?

The current US Transit Connect (why don't they just call it it a Connect ?) could use a few more inches in track and wheel base !

Transit Courier is a Fiesta based utility van and passenger van made in Turkey made by Ford Otosan. The plant was Ford Otosan's 3rd plant when it opened a few year's ago. 

Transit Connect is Focus based utility and passenger van made Ford in Valencia, Spain.

On 3/11/2020 at 6:47 PM, probowler said:

While I support the idea of a small, FWD unibody PU... would you want such a vehicle to bear the F-Series designation?

It may do perfectly fine for whatever limited capability it would be designed for, it's just so much less capable and different than the bigger trucks that I wonder if it might upset truck purists.

If we can have a Bronco and a Bronco Sport, why not a Ranger and Ranger Sport? It sort of follows the trend in naming and size.

4 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

If we can have a Bronco and a Bronco Sport, why not a Ranger and Ranger Sport? It sort of follows the trend in naming and size.

No, I kind of agree. I just think there might be a crowd of people who scoff at the idea of calling such a truck an F-series. They already won't like it because it's FWD and Unibody.
It will be interesting to see the reception to the Bronco sport... at first people were definitely concerned when they first head of it, but so far I haven't read any serious hate besides a couple trolls, and once people realized the Sport wasn't the Bronco it became much more accepted. Perhaps then it would be fine calling it an F-50.

Edited by probowler