Compact truck shown to dealers

17 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

You didn't like the Bronco and Bronco II in the 80s/90s?

How about the Ford Taunus family in Europe earlier than that?

How about the Transit family that consists of 4 vehicles now?

In my opinion; when you change a vehicle name to a brand, it dilutes the name. 

Case in point; Mustang. When I hear someone say they own a Mustang, I envision a sporty 2 door coupe or fastback. That is no longer the case with that new 4 door, crossover, electric "Mustang" thing.

Archaic as I may be, this is my opinion, and I don't seem to think it will change anytime soon. I've still not forgiven Chysler for the injustice they commited against the Charger name.

2 minutes ago, 351cid said:

In my opinion; when you change a vehicle name to a brand, it dilutes the name. 

Case in point; Mustang. When I hear someone say they own a Mustang, I envision a sporty 2 door coupe or fastback. That is no longer the case with that new 4 door, crossover, electric "Mustang" thing.

Archaic as I may be, this is my opinion, and I don't seem to think it will change anytime soon. I've still not forgiven Chysler for the injustice they commited against the Charger name.

Except nobody will call it a Mustang, they'll call it a Mach-E.  Bronco is a little different in that it's the same type of vehicle just a different size.

7 minutes ago, 351cid said:

Probably feel the same about the 4-door Thunderbird?

HRG

20547_Interior_Web.jpg

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

Except nobody will call it a Mustang, they'll call it a Mach-E.  Bronco is a little different in that it's the same type of vehicle just a different size.

I have no issue with the Bronco and agree that it's the same type of vehicle except for size. Same for the Transit van series. Had the Mach-E been an electric two door fastback coupe, I'd been ok with that too. I take issue with it being a 4 door crossover. Another name would have been better received by those of us that are traditionalist.

12 minutes ago, 351cid said:

I have no issue with the Bronco and agree that it's the same type of vehicle except for size. Same for the Transit van series. Had the Mach-E been an electric two door fastback coupe, I'd been ok with that too. I take issue with it being a 4 door crossover. Another name would have been better received by those of us that are traditionalist.

So the name of a vehicle the "traditionalists" won't ever buy offends the handful of "traditionalists" who are fans of the mustang coupe which is unchanged and still available.   Meanwhile millions of potential buyers are drawn to Mach-E because of the Mustang name, styling cues and performance.    Got it.

I mean, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, it just doesn't make sense to me unless they were actually changing the mustang coupe.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, akirby said:

So the name of a vehicle the "traditionalists" won't ever buy offends the handful of "traditionalists" who are fans of the mustang coupe which is unchanged and still available.   Meanwhile millions of potential buyers are drawn to Mach-E because of the Mustang name, styling cues and performance.    Got it.

I mean, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, it just doesn't make sense to me unless they were actually changing the mustang coupe.

:)

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

For the record; I've not talked with anyone who thinks the Mach E name was a good idea. Most people say something along the lines of "That's not a Mustang, it's a crossover".

Of course it could be because of the knuckle dragging, toothless hillbilly circle I run with.

44 minutes ago, 351cid said:

For the record; I've not talked with anyone who thinks the Mach E name was a good idea. Most people say something along the lines of "That's not a Mustang, it's a crossover".

Of course it could be because of the knuckle dragging, toothless hillbilly circle I run with.

I wouldn't go that far.  :)   But I think it's safe to say those people are not the demographic who would be looking to buy the vehicle regardless of name.  

I also think you're underestimating the brand recognition that Ford gets from having it associated with Mustang as opposed to some random new name.  From a marketing perspective that's hard to ignore.

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Using the same invalid argument over and over won't suddenly make it valid. Even if it's true that some won't buy the new cars, some still will... rendering this argument moot.  At least throw in a "most" or "some"