Compact truck shown to dealers

42 minutes ago, probowler said:

Using the same invalid argument over and over won't suddenly make it valid. Even if it's true that some won't buy the new cars, some still will... rendering this argument moot.  At least throw in a "most" or "some"

99.99%

52 minutes ago, probowler said:

I wish cars nowadays came with those kind of goodies.... I wonder if the New Bronco might offer something similar?

Hah-if they did it would be offered when you opted for ..."Eddie Bauer Blue/ Gold Clearcoat ....@ $2195.  And to Ifeg's comment..for sure ..no need to back it out of the garage, you could do a u-turn IN the garage!   We did like it-but not as much as we liked the 1990 Explorer that replaced it!

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Somebody who loves Mustangs and is upset that they put the Mustang name on a BEV crossover probably doesn't like crossovers or BEVs in the first place.

Oh now i see you specifically meant the mach-e. Yeah id probably agree with that assumption

On 3/18/2020 at 11:04 AM, 351cid said:

In my opinion; when you change a vehicle name to a brand, it dilutes the name. 

Case in point; Mustang. When I hear someone say they own a Mustang, I envision a sporty 2 door coupe or fastback. That is no longer the case with that new 4 door, crossover, electric "Mustang" thing.

Archaic as I may be, this is my opinion, and I don't seem to think it will change anytime soon. I've still not forgiven Chysler for the injustice they commited against the Charger name.

Chrysler bastardized the Charger nameplate years before the sedan.

Did you forget this FWD piece of crap?

1920px-Dodge_Charger_(1538984607).jpg

The current Charger are much more in keeping with the 1960s/1970s Chargers.

24 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

They also slapped the Challenger name on a Mitsubishi coupe that wasn't any better.

The Charger was also briefly a slow selling Cordoba clone that got a new nose and a new name(Magnum) in the late 70s. The Magnum sold much better.

Edited by AGR

1 hour ago, AGR said:

They also slapped the Challenger name on a Mitsubishi coupe that wasn't any better.

The Charger was also briefly a slow selling Cordoba clone that got a new nose and a new name(Magnum) in the late 70s. The Magnum sold much better. The Cordoba was also nice. The "small Chrysler".

The Magnums of that era were really nice. Those were the days when Chrysler was still building nice cars.

Edited by MKX1960
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 9:11 PM, ausrutherford said:

That's the one I've never forgiven them for. I don't like tbe four door,  but oh well. 

12 hours ago, twintornados said:

Agree with @351cid on this one...if it weren't for the Mustang II and the sales success it enjoyed, we could have lost the entire Mustang line in the 70's.

Fortunate timing with 490 lbs lighter and smaller, just as OPEC tripled the price of crude in '73.

I removed seeing the Cobra Mustang on Charlie's Angels, three spoke wheels from memory?

Edited by jpd80

25 minutes ago, AGR said:

The Mustang II is as much a real Mustang as the bloated 1971-73 models, IMO.

Agree. It is not the most attractive looking car, but it still looks like a Mustang with the design cues. I really don't think it is ugly either. I think if it had a proper V8 and horsepower, It wouldn't have such a bad rap. The energy crisis was to blame for it coming out that way, but it was the correct choice as it did sell well enough to keep the Mustang alive for it to flourish today and not be another AMC Javelin.

19 minutes ago, AGR said:

The Mustang II is as much a real Mustang as the bloated 1971-73 models, IMO.

Agreed.  Too big and too heavy.   Ugly too (to me).  Even Iacocca disliked it.  As he explained that model's poor sales, "The Mustang market never left us, we left it."

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

Agreed.  Too big and too heavy.   Ugly too (to me).  Even Iacocca disliked it.  As he explained that model's poor sales, "The Mustang market never left us, we left it."

Bunkie Knudsen coming from GM had a different take on what Mustang needed to be 

in order to compete with Camaro and Firebird but even though I like them, they were

getting big and moving away from what Mustang was supposed to be. 351/429 Boss

were still great vehicles and epitomised Bunkie's desire to stick it to GM for passing

him over as president of GM. I think he tried to make Mustang into a Camaro and 

a lot of buyers didn't like that as much as sticking to Mustang's roots.

Mustang II was an over correction for sure but proved fortuitous given  OPEC '73.

Thankfully Ford rediscovered the formula a few years later.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

351/429 Boss

were still great vehicles 

Yep, ‘71 BOSS 351 was one of (If not) the fastest 1/4 mile Mustangs from ‘65-‘73 model years.  That almost horizontal back window is something to behold when sitting in the drivers seat.  I tend to like the style.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

My issue is not the Mustang II itself, but a guised-up "luxury version" with a canvas top.

Ahhh, the 1970's were an interesting time style wise....vinyl tops, half tops, Ghia editions, loads of chrome, hood ornaments etc etc etc were all the rage....I was a young teen growing up in the 70's and I loved it....all personal preferences I suppose.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Ahhh, the 1970's were an interesting time style wise....vinyl tops, half tops, Ghia editions, loads of chrome, hood ornaments etc etc etc were all the rage....I was a young teen growing up in the 70's and I loved it....all personal preferences I suppose.

Flares and platform shoes.

• Haha 1