Bronco Sport Completely Uncovered

2 minutes ago, Kranger84 said:

Yeah,  I am shocked Ford didnt go with 2.0L eb standard and 2.3eb as higher end option. I have a 2018 escape 4x4 with the 1.5l and it kinda sucks. To put this in a "off-road" vehicle is a mistake.  Plus I hope they put in a permanent way to disable auto-stop start. Hopefully more information is coming out soon.

The better half has a 2018 Escape with a 1.5L Ecoboost....she loves it. Granted, its not as quick as my 2017 MKC with the 2.3L Ecoboost, but her Escape steps out well enough for her needs. As for auto start/stop...she doesn't mind it at all (she had to get used to it at first) and I wish I had it on my 2017 Lincoln....but there are companies that make "disablers" for it.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2017-ford-escape-autostop-eliminator

Yeah, its not a terrible engine,  however for something with the Bronco name I would hope Ford would distinguish it with higher performing engines and performance. I just don't want Ford to play it too conservative even with the smaller Bronco.  As for the Auto/Stop start its just an annoyance, it would be easy to add into your Sync system a permanent off instead of a button every time you drive, just a personal gripe though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kranger84 said:

.  As for the Auto/Stop start its just an annoyance, it would be easy to add into your Sync system a permanent off instead of a button every time you drive

It’s perfectly fine if you stop obsessing about it and just get used to it.  And they can’t let you shut it off permanently because it won’t count towards EPA fuel economy and CAFE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

The better half has a 2018 Escape with a 1.5L Ecoboost.

2020 version is different than the 218 version. For one, the new one is a 3 cylinder, and so far reviews haven't exactly been kind to it. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

2020 version is different than the 218 version. For one, the new one is a 3 cylinder, and so far reviews haven't exactly been kind to it. 

Fully aware of that, his complaint was of his 2018 Escape 15L EB that in his words were "it kinda sucks"...I am just saying that he may think "it kinda sucks" but for its intended audience, most will not give it a second thought....I believe that the same will be true of the 2020 variant with its 3 cylinder EB motor...enthusiasts will not be kind to it, but the intended audience will never give it a second thought. The enthusiast will simply side-step it and get the 2.0L EB motor instead if the 2020 Escape is their final choice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Fully aware of that, his complaint was of his 2018 Escape 15L EB that in his words were "it kinda sucks"...I am just saying that he may think "it kinda sucks" but for its intended audience, most will not give it a second thought....I believe that the same will be true of the 2020 variant with its 3 cylinder EB motor...enthusiasts will not be kind to it, but the intended audience will never give it a second thought. The enthusiast will simply side-step it and get the 2.0L EB motor instead if the 2020 Escape is their final choice.

You mean like the original V6 mustangs of the 60s? 

Ranger offers one engine and people bitch.  BS offers two and people bitch.  Can’t win.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ranger offers one engine and people bitch.  BS offers two and people bitch.  Can’t win.

I assume you mean V8. The Ranger has an excellent engine. I agree that people complaining about it are just bitching. The 1.5 engine by all accounts isn’t refined enough for the Escape/BS. Making the 2.0 standard with the 2.3 and/or the 2.5 hybrid would seem much better choices, especially if the BS is premium pricing compared to Escape.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

AS/S can be disabled through forscan permanently or through a tuner or through the OBDII device that you can buy for $100.  So there are options out there to disable it.  Mine is disabled permanently in my 20 Explorer ST.

I believe if your AC is on max, it won’t activate. There are a few other conditions that it won’t turn on for either, I just don’t remember what they are.

23 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I believe if your AC is on max, it won’t activate. There are a few other conditions that it won’t turn on for either, I just don’t remember what they are.

Sport mode, regulate your foot pressure on the brake are 2 more.

Edited by blwnsmoke

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The Jeep Compass and Subaru XV Crosstrek both are off road oriented small SUVs/crossovers that have powertrains reviewers regularly trash, but the buying public doesn't really seem to care. They are both in the top 10 in their market and combined sell over 200,000 per year. Relatively low price and some capability beyond other SUVs seems to  have a solid market that Ford wants to compete in with this Bronco. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

The Jeep Compass and Subaru XV Crosstrek both are off road oriented small SUVs/crossovers that have powertrains reviewers regularly trash, but the buying public doesn't really seem to care. They are both in the top 10 in their market and combined sell over 200,000 per year. Relatively low price and some capability beyond other SUVs seems to  have a solid market that Ford wants to compete in with this Bronco. 

THIS!!!

There are two types of buyers - those that just want the look (lots of 18-29 yr old females in that group) and those that want capability.  I think it’s smart since the factory won’t be anywhere near capacity for awhile.  As long as they do the high end versions right it’s not an issue.  And I still see a 2.3 PHEV down the road.

40 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

Both of those vehicles start at 22k. The escape starts at almost $25k. I’d imagine the bronco sport will start around $27k. If the BS started at 22k I’d expect it to have a smaller engine.

Edited by T-dubz

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Re-reading your post akirby, maybe you meant I6 not v6.

I just meant 6 cylinder.  Point being having a lesser base engine is common and has never been a big issue.

Does anybody really buy 3.3L f150s?  

Now what would be bad is if they did stripped fleet specials with the 1.5, but I don’t see that happening.

2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't get the hate for the 1.5L Ecoboost...the reviewers seem to like it (outside of some minor NVH/sound issues) and the performance numbers are better then the last gen Escape. 

Maybe drive it first, before shitting on it?

I had a rental escape with it and I didn’t care for it one bit. It was loud with lots of vibration. Even the nicest vehicle will feel inferior with a loud engine. Just on refinement alone, there’s a night and day difference between my 2017 escape with a 2.0 and the 2020 with 1.5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't get the hate for the 1.5L Ecoboost...the reviewers seem to like it (outside of some minor NVH/sound issues) and the performance numbers are better then the last gen Escape. 

Maybe drive it first, before shitting on it?

Silvrsvt, how much time have YOU spent behind the wheel of a 2020 Escape with the 3-cylinder 1.5?  We had one for 3 weeks, while our '18 1.5 4-cylinder was getting a new short block, and as others have stated, it's a disappointment.

HRG

• Like 1

After reading the last several posts, I’m not sure what people are expecting the BS to be.  To me it seems like it’s competition will be the Compass, Crosstrek, etc, as previously mentioned.  This isn’t meant to be a serious off-roader, it merely has to handle some light off-roading to get your mountain bikes to the trailhead. Most of that will consist of some gravel or dirt roads, and some wet grass.  Frankly, just about any vehicle can handle that. 

Concerning price, we don’t even know what that will be yet, so it’s hard to be concerned about at this point.  If they want this to be competitive with the aforementioned vehicles, then I can’t imagine they will price it out of the market. 

Although I don’t care for some of the details that have come to light regarding the BS, I would never choose those as options anyway, so it doesn’t really matter.  However, those low end options will allow A more affordable opportunity to those trying to get in on the pseudo off-road game with a storied name badge behind it.  

After all, it is a company trying to sell vehicles to make money, which provides opportunities for them to build the performance vehicles that I actually like to buy. Those base models help pay for those performance options. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

some minor NVH/sound issues

NVH issues on the Ford 1.5L 3-cylinder engine aren't minor. That engine's obnoxious, grating noise and vibration especially at lower speeds is bad enough to be a dealbreaker.

People like HotRunr, T-Dubz, rperez817, and professional reviewers who have experienced that engine in other Fords can vouch for that. Consumer Reports, in its review of 2020 Ford Escape with that engine goes as far as to say, "We would choose the 2.0-liter engine or the hybrid because the noise and vibration that occurs at low revs on the standard 1.5-liter engine is too annoying to live with."

5 hours ago, twintornados said:

I had a 2019 Escape with the 1.5 as a rental for most of the summer last year while my Fusion was getting it's transmission rebuilt and I actually really liked it, it's a great motor. I consider myself an enthusiast. I'm very curious to drive the new 3cyl version. 

5 hours ago, akirby said:

People also expected the Ranger to be way more than it is at a much lower price (as if)

Those that know the truth know it is what it is and the home run shot comes in 2-3 years when the new comes out. 

I should add what we have now is still a pretty damn good truck as it is in spite of whatever flaws it may have. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, tbone said:

After reading the last several posts, I’m not sure what people are expecting the BS to be.  To me it seems like it’s competition will be the Compass, Crosstrek, etc, as previously mentioned.  This isn’t meant to be a serious off-roader, it merely has to handle some light off-roading to get your mountain bikes to the trailhead. Most of that will consist of some gravel or dirt roads, and some wet grass.  Frankly, just about any vehicle can handle that. 

Concerning price, we don’t even know what that will be yet, so it’s hard to be concerned about at this point.  If they want this to be competitive with the aforementioned vehicles, then I can’t imagine they will price it out of the market. 

Although I don’t care for some of the details that have come to light regarding the BS, I would never choose those as options anyway, so it doesn’t really matter.  However, those low end options will allow A more affordable opportunity to those trying to get in on the pseudo off-road game with a storied name badge behind it.  

After all, it is a company trying to sell vehicles to make money, which provides opportunities for them to build the performance vehicles that I actually like to buy. Those base models help pay for those performance options. 

tenor.gif

9 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

NVH issues on the Ford 1.5L 3-cylinder engine aren't minor. That engine's obnoxious, grating noise and vibration especially at lower speeds is bad enough to be a dealbreaker.

People like HotRunr, T-Dubz, rperez817, and professional reviewers who have experienced that engine in other Fords can vouch for that. Consumer Reports, in its review of 2020 Ford Escape with that engine goes as far as to say, "We would choose the 2.0-liter engine or the hybrid because the noise and vibration that occurs at low revs on the standard 1.5-liter engine is too annoying to live with."

No, you didn't really just refer to yourself in the third person ???

• Haha 1