Bronco Sport Completely Uncovered

31 minutes ago, tbone said:

After reading the last several posts, I’m not sure what people are expecting the BS to be.  To me it seems like it’s competition will be the Compass, Crosstrek, etc, as previously mentioned.  This isn’t meant to be a serious off-roader, it merely has to handle some light off-roading to get your mountain bikes to the trailhead. Most of that will consist of some gravel or dirt roads, and some wet grass.  Frankly, just about any vehicle can handle that. 

Concerning price, we don’t even know what that will be yet, so it’s hard to be concerned about at this point.  If they want this to be competitive with the aforementioned vehicles, then I can’t imagine they will price it out of the market. 

Although I don’t care for some of the details that have come to light regarding the BS, I would never choose those as options anyway, so it doesn’t really matter.  However, those low end options will allow A more affordable opportunity to those trying to get in on the pseudo off-road game with a storied name badge behind it.  

After all, it is a company trying to sell vehicles to make money, which provides opportunities for them to build the performance vehicles that I actually like to buy. Those base models help pay for those performance options. 

I’d say half the problem is people don’t understand what this vehicle is competing with. You had mentioned the Jeep Compass and Subaru cross trek. Another one you hear all the time is the Jeep renegade. Since the BS is sharing a platform with the escape, I’d assume it will be larger than any of those and it’s more likely that it’s a Jeep cherokee competitor. 

then there is price. You are right, we have no idea what the price is. But there’s been speculation that it will sell at a premium over the escape for a while now. Here’s the starting prices of its competitors:

escape - $24,885

cherokee - $25,934

Rav4 - $25,950

crv - $25,050

Cx5 - $25,190

I believe it needs to start around this range to be competitive.

I also think naming it Bronco is part of the problem too. Now it has to live up to the bronco name. I’d say that’s a tough thing to do in this market. If it was called Maverick and was never mentioned in the same name as bronco, you probably wouldn’t see the same reactions.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, tbone said:

After reading the last several posts, I’m not sure what people are expecting the BS to be.  To me it seems like it’s competition will be the Compass, Crosstrek, etc, as previously mentioned.  This isn’t meant to be a serious off-roader, it merely has to handle some light off-roading to get your mountain bikes to the trailhead. Most of that will consist of some gravel or dirt roads, and some wet grass.  Frankly, just about any vehicle can handle that.

Perhaps this is the source of the confusion?

10.jpg

If the Sport is as you say not meant to be a "serious off-roader", and is simply a tougher looking version of "just about any vehicle" then it has no business wearing the Bronco name on its grill.

Edited by probowler
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, probowler said:

10.jpg

If the Sport is as you say not meant to be a "serious off-roader", and is simply a tougher looking version of "just about any vehicle" then it has no business wearing the Bronco name on its grill.

Well to be fair, it is the “Bronco Sport” and not just straight “Bronco,” and the chart does say rugged utility and not serious off-roader. 

5 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I also think naming it Bronco is part of the problem too. Now it has to live up to the bronco name. I’d say that’s a tough thing to do in this market. If it was called Maverick and was never mentioned in the same name as bronco, you probably wouldn’t see the same reactions.

Now your just gate keeping-Look at Jeeps line up and some of the products they offer-they aren't as capable as the Wrangler...the BrS will actually be able to handle some  offroading much better then say a Jeep Renegade and will be equal to//better then other unibody FWD products on the market

Oh can we call the Bronco Sport the BrS and not BS....BS is short for bullshit.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Now your just gate keeping-Look at Jeeps line up and some of the products they offer-they aren't as capable as the Wrangler...the BrS will actually be able to handle some  offroading much better then say a Jeep Renegade and will be equal to//better then other unibody FWD products on the market

Oh can we call the Bronco Sport the BrS and not BS....BS is short for bullshit.  

you are kind of proving my point though. The Jeep renegade is perfectly acceptable being a “cute ute” based off of a fiat because it has its own name. If it was named wrangler sport, it would have had much higher standards to live up to. 

27 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

you are kind of proving my point though. The Jeep renegade is perfectly acceptable being a “cute ute” based off of a fiat because it has its own name. If it was named wrangler sport, it would have had much higher standards to live up to. 

The new Cherokee had the same issue living up to the old Cherokee and nobody lost their mind over it.  And I think BSport will be just as capable as Cherokee, maybe more.  And more than just wet grass.  But it’s not a rock crawler.  Then again neither is a factory Wrangler or base Bronco.

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Well to be fair, it is the “Bronco Sport” and not just straight “Bronco,” and the chart does say rugged utility and not serious off-roader. 

True, but look at the hardcore overlap. Even if the BS is using the Escape platform, the BS is not only closer to the bronco than it is the Escape, but it overlaps the Bronco on this chart. Obviously the Bronco will be substantially better so I believe this chart creates false expectations for some.

Again as Fuzzy or someone said, the Escape is perfectly capable of driving over dirt and gravel to a public campground, and if that is indeed the Bronco Sports target then they need to move the sport all the way left next to Escape and away from the Bronco.

Maybe even rename it to something else if it's not going to be a hardcore 4x4.  I don't like the idea of using the Bronco name to sell a cheap mom-suv that only looks tough ?

2 hours ago, probowler said:

True, but look at the hardcore overlap. Even if the BS is using the Escape platform, the BS is not only closer to the bronco than it is the Escape, but it overlaps the Bronco on this chart. Obviously the Bronco will be substantially better so I believe this chart creates false expectations for some.

Again as Fuzzy or someone said, the Escape is perfectly capable of driving over dirt and gravel to a public campground, and if that is indeed the Bronco Sports target then they need to move the sport all the way left next to Escape and away from the Bronco.

Maybe even rename it to something else if it's not going to be a hardcore 4x4.  I don't like the idea of using the Bronco name to sell a cheap mom-suv that only looks tough ?

I totally understand where you are coming from, but like aKirby said, let’s wait and see.  I was likely minimizing its capabilities, and I expect some versions to be more capable, but I’m not expecting it to be more capable than the Bronco.  The 235 tires available on the BrS are nearly 30 inches in diameter and the same size of tire I had on my Ranger 4x4 back in the day. I would have liked to have seen 31’s available, but this isn’t bad.  Also keep in mind there were many 4 cylinder Jeep Wranglers that certainly wouldn’t be called powerful, yet they were competent enough 4x4s. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this is all conjecture at this point. Personally I really like options so while I'm not necessarily against having the 3cyl in the lineup, it is kind of sad that we will get something like that in the Bronco Sport but may not see a V8 in the regular Bronco. My expectations are just high and I really want Ford to deliver, and hopefully exceed them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, probowler said:

10.jpg

What is this other "ON-ROAD PERFORMANCE" vehicle shown on here? Is that the Fusion replacement?

35 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

What is this other "ON-ROAD PERFORMANCE" vehicle shown on here? Is that the Fusion replacement?

This chart is weird...it reads out from the center (Edge ST <-Edge New Escape<-EcoSport)...it might be a Shelby or something based on the MME?

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

This chart is weird...it reads out from the center (Edge ST <-Edge New Escape<-EcoSport)...it might be a Shelby or something based on the MME?

Correct. It's meant to show that ST is more Urban and things like FX4 as more rugged or off road oriented

There are no other sports model, it's just showing which way the trims gravitate.

I recon they were going to sell the rugged compact as a Maverick and just like MME, it got a name change

because I suspect Ford's research showed that people wouldn't pay premium prices for a maverick

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, NLPRacing said:

it’s probably the Mach e gt. All of the vehicles that have the orange line are connected to the same vehicle but different trim.

Edited by T-dubz

14 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

it’s probably the Mach e gt. All of the vehicles that have the orange line are connected to the same vehicle but different trim.

I thought the same thing, but doesn't that one look smaller than the Mach-E?