Bronco Sport Completely Uncovered

25 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

I agree, this should have been the 2013 Escape. And I had a 2013 Escape and loved it.

Agree. I think the two pronged approach is a good move. There are people that want the ho hum nondescript CUV that can have AWD. This is contrast to people wanting that feeling that they can go off road (ok dirt road) and potentially option it out to have a little off road chops. Not sure what took Ford so long for this strategy.

I have a buddy that has an 2011 Escape. He loves it but it's starting to get the miles on it. Nearly trouble free. He's kept long enough to put 130k on it but hated the Escape since 2013. I sent him the autoblog post and he said he liked it. This could be his new vehicle.

40 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I like everything about this baby Bronco except for the name. Sport is so generic of a name.

And as a former Escape  Mk1 owner, this is all I see... a modern version of OG Escape.  

I loved my 03 Escape XLT Sport. The roof rack that flipped onto the tailgate was awesome. This looks great. 

However, I’m concerned this is more a Compass/Patriot setup than a Renegade/Cherokee setup. People keep saying this is a Renegade competitor, but the Renegade is smaller and (likely) cheaper, right?

i think there could be a lot of confusion in where it sits in the portfolio relative to the Escape. 

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Agree. I think the two pronged approach is a good move. There are people that want the ho hum nondescript CUV that can have AWD. This is contrast to people wanting that feeling that they can go off road (ok dirt road) and potentially option it out to have a little off road chops. Not sure what took Ford so long for this strategy.

I have a buddy that has an 2011 Escape. He loves it but it's starting to get the miles on it. Nearly trouble free. He's kept long enough to put 130k on it but hated the Escape since 2013. I sent him the autoblog post and he said he liked it. This could be his new vehicle.

I don’t know, I still think having the bronco sport alone would have been better. It looks exactly liked you’d expect a newer version of the 2012 escape to look like. If anything, I think it will steal sales away from the escape. An off-road package (bronco sport raptor) added to it should have been enough to go after the off-road market.

4 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I loved my 03 Escape XLT Sport. The roof rack that flipped onto the tailgate was awesome. This looks great. 

However, I’m concerned this is more a Compass/Patriot setup than a Renegade/Cherokee setup. People keep saying this is a Renegade competitor, but the Renegade is smaller and (likely) cheaper, right?

i think there could be a lot of confusion in where it sits in the portfolio relative to the Escape. 

I think it is more in line with the Jeep Cherokee.  The 2020 Escape vs 2020 Cherokee dimensions are fairly close . . . according to a quick google search . . . 

Escape - 181″ L x 74″ W x 66″ H

Cherokee - 182″ L x 73-75″ W x 66-68″ H

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I like everything except the huge white Bronco Sport on the back. All it needs is the Ford Oval in one corner. Maybe it can be de-badged on the back.

the white color really makes it stand out, and not in a good way. Changing the color to black would help out a lot. It’s also too many letters for that small space. It should just say SPORT on the tailgate, just like the grille only says BRONCO.

2 hours ago, probowler said:

It occurs to me that they couldn't be bothered to install hood stuts. They kinda cheaped out on that part.  I wonder if this has the hands-free lift-gate opening?

Yeah, they've been leaving those out lately, and I hate it.

9 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, they've been leaving those out lately, and I hate it.

reality check...how many times here does anyone actually, literally raise the hood of their car......6-8times in the time they own the car....lol...funny  how things so trivial cop flak sometimes...Id rather have a rod truth be told...they DONT break and need replacing...

1 minute ago, akirby said:

This.  And I change my own oil.  Never Understood the hate for such a simple and effective design.

well, I don't need to tell you my friend, but I fear sometimes we replace simplicity with over complicated alternatives.....kind of the German Cupholder mentality....lol..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Deanh said:

reality check...how many times here does anyone actually, literally raise the hood of their car......6-8times in the time they own the car....lol...funny  how things so trivial cop flak sometimes...Id rather have a rod truth be told...they DONT break and need replacing...

You're right.  I know the gas struts on the Flex are starting to go - they'll stay up when moved to an open position, but it won't pop open like it used to.  And with Bronco on the horizon, I'm not looking into replacing them.

I know I (and customers) would much rather have their power liftgate instead.

Personally, I open the hood every time I wash the car, but I'm not an average buyer.

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

You're right.  I know the gas struts on the Flex are starting to go - they'll stay up when moved to an open position, but it won't pop open like it used to.  And with Bronco on the horizon, I'm not looking into replacing them.

Personally, I open the hood every time I wash the car, but I'm not an average buyer.

I for one even question why a rear liftgate needs to be powered...then again I could be a case study for old school...

5 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I for one even question why a rear liftgate needs to be powered...then again I could be a case study for old school...

Wait, you mean you've never had multiple bags of groceries in one hand and a screaming 4 year old who decided to throw a tantrum in the grocery store parking lot draped over your shoulder when your keys are buried in your jeans pocket. I must be the only one. It's these little conveniences that can make a bad situation from turning into a terrible one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Wait, you mean you've never had multiple bags of groceries in one hand and a screaming 4 year old who decided to throw a tantrum in the grocery store parking lot draped over your shoulder when your keys are buried in your jeans pocket. I must be the only one. It's these little conveniences that can make a bad situation from turning into a terrible one. 

makes me wonder how I survived all these years pre power liftgate...wait....I did....its a convenience yes, which I completely understand...necessity?...not so sure...I could quite easily do without it...Anyone here had one break/ fail?...would probably be pretty costly..

31 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I pop my hood EVERY time I fill up. Trucker's mentality....fuel the truck, check the oil & coolant, & look at the belts & hoses.

Just now, 351cid said:

I pop my hood EVERY time I fill up. Trucker's mentality....fuel the truck, check the oil & coolant, & look at the belts & hoses.

cudos...but a rarity....and Im not sure if you had a rod Im quite sure you wouldn't mind...

48 minutes ago, Deanh said:

The rod is so much better when its really cold as well, nothing worse than trying to put washer solvent in when it is -15 out and the hood keep falling shut and you're trying to balance the hood, gallon of solvent and holding the flip cap from flopping around so you don't spill solvent all over your hands.

4 minutes ago, Deanh said:

cudos...but a rarity....and Im not sure if you had a rod Im quite sure you wouldn't mind...

Well....I ordered the retro-fit strut kit for my 'Stang and adapted that kit to fit the wife's Fusion. Didn't care for the rod on either. But I'm kinda OCD (which can be an expensive phycological disorder ;) ).

• Like 1