Bronco Sport Completely Uncovered

8 hours ago, Deanh said:

reality check...how many times here does anyone actually, literally raise the hood of their car......6-8times in the time they own the car....lol...funny  how things so trivial cop flak sometimes...Id rather have a rod truth be told...they DONT break and need replacing...

I've had my Edge nearly a year and haven't opened the hood at all.

I’m late to the game here, but I think this looks really good.  The only thing that I don’t like is the sport logo on the tailgate. As mentioned by someone else, it doesn’t look like there is enough room for it, and looks like it is squished in there. 

I’ll be in the market for another vehicle for the family soon and this could fill that need. It’s likely between this, pending on how much the top can open up, the new Bronco, and the Wrangler.  I obviously want to buy a Ford, so we will see how it goes. 

On a side note, I saw a new Escape on a trip to Louisville, and it does look a lot better in person. I have seen the low trim models on the lot, which leave a little to be desired but this one was a mid range model and had better road presence than I expected. I’ll be interested to see the year end sales numbers on these.  

I was behind a 2020 Escape on the way home today, it looked just fine. If they offer one with a sport suspension and the 2.0/auto with paddle shifters(and a chrome free exterior), I would be tempted. The Bronco Sport looks good, but squared off lines are not my cup of tea.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I also see a lot of early Land Rover Freelander in Bronco Sport,

I suspect that’s no accident, Ford trying to reinvent itself

as a more premium brand?

Ford has been stealing styling from Land Rover since they sold them starting with the 2010 Explorer LOL

The Aviator is Lincoln's take on RR styling :)

49 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford has been stealing styling from Land Rover since they sold them starting with the 2010 Explorer LOL

Exactly.  Several times I've seen a vehicle in a parking lot and could not tell if it was a LR or an Explorer.   And that's a good thing.

Oof.  Clearly the A-Team was working on the Bronco while the interns got this project.  

This vehicle really needed to be something special to justify needing to have an entirely different model and man I’m not seeing it.  

I think Ford would have been far better served blending this with the new Escape and having one vehicle. They would have sold every single one they could build.  And fix that damn badging!  White looks awful.  Black or a dark grey would have been a much better choice (as would have a different name). 

Im sure they will sell though.  Seems anything that looks like an SUV these days sells without issue.  Just not my cup of tea.  

Anyone know what pricing will be on these? So far, just hanging out with friends last night two have expressed interest in the Sport. One that has a 2011 Escape that in the next 1-2 years is looking for a replacement. The other a Suburu owner that is also looking to get a replacement in 1-2 years (if it holds up that long). Both are working professionals, one that has Weimaraner that he crates around with him and the other a mountain biker. Both thought the new Escape was not their cup of tea.  Looking forward to the roll out of more information.

16 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

AFAIK the FORD grille will also be offered.

The direction taken by the new Escape should make *much* more sense now.

Hm, interesting.

12 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Yup. I believe it's a catalog accessory but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in an appearance package as well.

Ah, that makes more sense.

11 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Funny thing--the first thing I thought when I saw it was "oh, look, a Flex on stilts with a shortened caboose." 

Eh, I don't really see it.

9 hours ago, AGR said:

I was behind a 2020 Escape on the way home today, it looked just fine. If they offer one with a sport suspension and the 2.0/auto with paddle shifters(and a chrome free exterior), I would be tempted. The Bronco Sport looks good, but squared off lines are not my cup of tea.

That's what Ford is counting on - this appeals to the buyer that doesn't like Escape's more curvy design, and vice versa.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Exactly.  Several times I've seen a vehicle in a parking lot and could not tell if it was a LR or an Explorer.   And that's a good thing.

I went with my brother to take my mom's new ST to the car wash, and after it went through and they came to call us, the lady was like "white Range Rover?  White Range Rover?"  We knew it was the Explorer, but she didn't until we walked out and she finally looked and was like ....ohhhh "Ford Explorer"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Anyone know what pricing will be on these? So far, just hanging out with friends last night two have expressed interest in the Sport. One that has a 2011 Escape that in the next 1-2 years is looking for a replacement. The other a Suburu owner that is also looking to get a replacement in 1-2 years (if it holds up that long). Both are working professionals, one that has Weimaraner that he crates around with him and the other a mountain biker. Both thought the new Escape was not their cup of tea.  Looking forward to the roll out of more information.

I have no clue, but I’d say the escape needs to drop in price by a few thousand and then this should slot in where the escape is priced now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I have no clue, but I’d say the escape needs to drop in price by a few thousand and then this should slot in where the escape is priced now. 

Actually if anything the Bronco Sport will be about $2500 higher then the Escape. There is no reason to drop Escape pricing-they where already struggling to keep the margins higher with the last gen. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot again? 

7 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Escape and Bronco Sport were priced about the same.

That would be an epic fail IMO on Ford's part.  The whole point of having something unique and different is so you don't have to compete pricewise with the other commodity compact CUVs.

I agree with Silvrsvt - $2500 higher to start, but I expect some higher end packages to push it way higher than Escape when fully loaded.

16 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Actually if anything the Bronco Sport will be about $2500 higher then the Escape. There is no reason to drop Escape pricing-they where already struggling to keep the margins higher with the last gen. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot again? 

Considering the escape has $4000 in rebates, I’d say it’s  priced too high. If the bronco sport costs a significant amount more than the escape, it will be a failure. When people look at it, they see what the new escape should have been. They will expect it to be priced similarly.

Edit: if the sport comes standard with 4wd, it would justify a higher price over the escape, however I’m not sure it would be a good idea to only offer it in 4x4.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Exactly, they can slot the EcoSport replacement in below Escape price wise.

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

That would be an epic fail IMO on Ford's part.  The whole point of having something unique and different is so you don't have to compete pricewise with the other commodity compact CUVs.

I agree with Silvrsvt - $2500 higher to start, but I expect some higher end packages to push it way higher than Escape when fully loaded.

What I mean is that when similarly equipped, they should be close in price. The Escape will be available at a lower base price because I anticipate the the Bronco Sport will have more standard features (4WD, more powerful engine, etc.) that will drive up its base price. But a fully loaded Escape & fully loaded Bronco Sport will probably be close to the same MSRP.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Considering the escape has $4000 in rebates, I’d say it’s  priced too high. If the bronco sport costs a significant amount more than the escape, it will be a failure. When people look at it, they see what the new escape should have been. They will expect it to be priced similarly.

Edit: if the sport comes standard with 4wd, it would justify a higher price over the escape, however I’m not sure it would be a good idea to only offer it in 4x4.

Anything with the "Bronco" name on it should be 4WD only.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

What I mean is that when similarly equipped, they should be close in price. The Escape will be available at a lower base price because I anticipate the the Bronco Sport will have more standard features (4WD, more powerful engine, etc.) that will drive up its base price. But a fully loaded Escape & fully loaded Bronco Sport will probably be close to the same MSRP.  

But why?  Don't you think people who love the Bronco Sport will be willing to pay a higher price for it compared to Escape?  I certainly would.

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

But why?  Don't you think people who love the Bronco Sport will be willing to pay a higher price for it compared to Escape?  I certainly would.

I think it will cost more to get into a base Bronco Sport versus a base Escape.  But I still think a similarly equipped Escape will about the same, maybe a little lower, than a Bronco Sport. And the Bronco Sport probably won't need incentives like the Escape either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

I think it will cost more to get into a base Bronco Sport versus a base Escape.  But I still think a similarly equipped Escape will about the same, maybe a little lower, than a Bronco Sport. And the Bronco Sport probably won't need incentives like the Escape either.

Hopefully, they won't put the 1.5L EB 3-cylinder in the Bronco Sport, so there's additional $$$ right there.

HRG

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

Escape is already priced the same or higher than other compact cuvs (before rebates). If the bronco sport is just a re-skin of the escape and you want to charge even more then the escape, then customers will have a hard time justifying the price difference. If however the sport comes with additional features that the escape doesn’t have that offset that price, then I could see people paying more. Those additional features and price could also limit the pool of customers though. 

i think ford got the escape and bronco sport reversed here. The bronco sport should have been the mass market vehicle. It should have bare bones base models and come standard in 4x2 with options and trims that make it off-road capable. The escape should be the lower volume model only offered in sel and titanium to cover the more luxurious end of the compact cuv market. 

• Like 1