Bronco Sport Completely Uncovered

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:30 PM, jpd80 said:

As deans said it could be buyers just drying up regardless of incentives.

Heads are on issues other than buying the second biggest investment. Ive had several literally saying they will be holding off until things ease up...just look at the stock market...theres some SERIOUS fluctuation right now and the DOW was down almost 5000 points....if I was looking at purchasing a car I too would hold off until everything stabilizes

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Deanh said:

Meh...Id lay the onus on the sales numbers and stock pricing  on a lot more than the car itself....theres a certain Virus panicking people and the Stock market right now, and an oil war between the Saudis and Russia...

Well the past few weeks have been a shitshow and I expect chaos for another two months or so. The Escape isn't bad-just overall its not a huge improvement over the older model outside of the Hybrid. 

I saw that Jeep is starting to pull the Friends and Family Sales deal out to keep sales up.

Figure by June everything should be on the mend with the economy wise

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deanh said:

Heads on on issues other than buying the second biggest investment. Ive had several literally saying they will be holding off until things ease up...just look at the stock market...theres some SERIOUS fluctuation right now and the DOW was down almost 5000 points....if I was looking at purchasing a car I too would hold off until everything stabilizes

That is certainly true now, but not in February. JPD mentioned a “rumor” that Escape sales were down 16% in February. That apparently came from a Ford executive’s comments. He also mentioned that Ford’s overall sales were up 2.4% in February and SUV retail sales were up 11%, Lincoln was up 27%, Ford trucks had their best February since 2004 and vans their best Feb. since 1979. Other than cars, everything else saw sales increases except Escape. I don’t see Escape doing as well once Bronco Sport is on dealer lots. Lots of damning with faint praise - “it looks better in person”, it’s not that bad, it’s just not class leading”. I think Ford will struggle keeping two shifts running at Louisville without big rebates. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

That is certainly true now, but not in February. JPD mentioned a “rumor” that Escape sales were down 16% in February. That apparently came from a Ford executive’s comments. He also mentioned that Ford’s overall sales were up 2.4% in February and SUV retail sales were up 11%, Lincoln was up 27%, Ford trucks had their best February since 2004 and vans their best Feb. since 1979. Other than cars, everything else saw sales increases except Escape. I don’t see Escape doing as well once Bronco Sport is on dealer lots. Lots of damning with faint praise - “it looks better in person”, it’s not that bad, it’s just not class leading”. I think Ford will struggle keeping two shifts running at Louisville without big rebates. 

Geez why do you hate Escape so much?

Edited by akirby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

My salesman told me the Escape was moving a bit slow and Ford is actually pushing lease deals on them. My Sister tried both a 19 & a 20 and liked the 19 better. She particularly didn't care for the dial shifter and liked the higher position of the 19. She ended up buying a silver Titainium.

It's actually good that Ford is responding to slower than expected sales with incentives,

I'd be more worried if it was not supporting Escape with some financial incentives.

At least, prices are more competitive and buyers think they have Ford over a barrel.

7 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

My wife LOVES the new Escape!  She had an '03, now a '14, and loves the look of the new one.  I think it looks very upscale myself.  If we were in the market, it would be high on the list. 

I'm glad to hear that. I'm seeing more of them on the roads around here, and they still look very "meh" to me--but I'm pretty sure I'm not in the Escape's target demo, anyway.

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

I'm glad to hear that. I'm seeing more of them on the roads around here, and they still look very "meh" to me--but I'm pretty sure I'm not in the Escape's target demo, anyway.

Wait - are you saying that you can respect a vehicle even though it's not your cup of tea personally without calling it a complete failure?

Who knew?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

How bad Ford bungled the new Explorer.  The fact you can get a lease for the same price as the new Escape (which isn’t doing well) is eye opening.  

I've never leased, but isn't one of the determining factors the anticipated value at the end of the lease?  Maybe the actuaries feel the Explorer will retain a greater % of value?

HRG

1 minute ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I've never leased, but isn't one of the determining factors the anticipated value at the end of the lease?  Maybe the actuaries feel the Explorer will retain a greater % of value?

Residual value is the biggest factor in lease cost.   I'm sure Ford is anticipating slightly higher residuals but the price difference here is almost certainly from incentives/subsidies.

cb185b5d-ford-baby-bronco-3-1024x1010.jp

I think once we get some pics of the sport with its hood down, it will appear more aggressive and rugged. It has those two “power bulges” running down the hood that you don’t see when the hood is up. I bet that makes a big difference in the look. Also the wheel and tire combo in the pic above will help too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Wait - are you saying that you can respect a vehicle even though it's not your cup of tea personally without calling it a complete failure?

Who knew?

Oh, no, it’s obviously a complete, utter, unmitigated failure; I just didn’t feel the need to harp on something so blindingly obvious.

</sarcasm>

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Still don't like the front end, but the back end is fine. 

Yeah, I’ll go along with that. I think the front end looks too much like the goofy melted-down  front ends the Korean makers have used on their CUVs. I prefer the harder European Ford schnoz of the previous generation. 

Edited by SoonerLS

22 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

that coincides when we literally were low in inventory regarding Escapes...we arer still threadbare regarding Hybrids...which seem to be the Escapes hot button...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sho94_2000 said:

How bad Ford bungled the new Explorer.  The fact you can get a lease for the same price as the new Escape (which isn’t doing well) is eye opening.  

Big increases in retail sales of Explorer last month, lots of STs but total sales down a bit over Feb 19. Ford is holding back on fleet sales for now but that will change over summer.

13 hours ago, akirby said:

Who knew?

I've never cared much for the Escape after the 2013 model came out, but I think the Bronco Sport is the model that will really attract those people who liked the 1st and 2nd gen boxy Escape. I'm happy that Ford is giving people a choice. It would not surprise me if the Bronco Sport outsells the Escape.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I've never cared much for the Escape after the 2013 model came out, but I think the Bronco Sport is the model that will really attract those people who liked the 1st and 2nd gen boxy Escape. I'm happy that Ford is giving people a choice. It would not surprise me if the Bronco Sport outsells the Escape.

Can confirm: own a 2008 Escape, love the Sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

It’s entirely possible.  Depends a lot on how they price and option it.  Let’s say they both sell 12k/month.  I don’t understand why some people say Escape is a failure or that only the Bronco Sport should have been built.  That’s just silly.