Dealerships Molesting Cars During Recall Work

I have had this problem across three consecutive dealerships now.  I bring a vehicle in for an authorized recall and the dealer insists beforehand that I agree to have them analyze the vehicle and inspect it for other issues that the car may have.  I agreed to this once prior and THAT dealer refused to release the car back to me claiming that they could not let the car back out on the road without them effecting the repairs.  I sent my mechanic by to see what the issue was (my expense) and his assessment was not the same as theirs, they LET HIM TAKE IT and he brought it back to me with no further problem.  I pay good money to take care of my vehicles and I quit going to Ford shops as they became money sink holes compared to having an offline mechanic shop with good local repute.  I have notified Ford now on three occasions even going so far as to file a customer service complaint.  That was reconciled by them as "no further action required."  The simple fact is this, I cannot get a safety recall effected by a Ford dealer without it costing me money for something my normal mechanic has never seen as an issue.  The service centers at the dealerships have become, in my mind, a predatory racket and are totally without credibility in my eyes.  I've owned Fords since 1986 and never had this problem until the last six years or so.  I will again, probably send my vehicle in through my mechanic, my cost) to get this work done as they know if they "find" anything, he will get the work.  Any other suggestions? 

I once took my camaro to a chevy dealer for a new alternator. A week later the new one died and they tried to charge me service and diagnostic fee to replace the faulty alternator they installed a week earlier. 

It took almost half an hour of arguing and threatening to have my car towed home without an alternator before they finally agreed to put a new one in. This trip consisted of over $2k work btw, and they were trying to screw me out of another almost $300 dollars for their bad part. 

Fuck stealerships. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

No issues like that with any of my Ford or Lincoln dealers.

Not saying the OP's concerns aren't real, but, me neither. Dealers get paid by the manufacturer to do recall work. Not sure why they would do extra work hoping to get paid for it. 

I've never had that happen either. Every recall that I've had done at my dealership has been relatively easy. Drop off car and into a loaner. Pick it up and drop off loaner. Now, I am one who obsesses about maintenance and tend to keep up on that. Was this a safety concern that they wouldn't give it back? In some instances, some shops will make you sign a waiver saying they told you about the safety concern and you chose not to do it.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:27 PM, AlvanKarpas said:

I have had this problem across three consecutive dealerships now.  I bring a vehicle in for an authorized recall and the dealer insists beforehand that I agree to have them analyze the vehicle and inspect it for other issues that the car may have.  I agreed to this once prior and THAT dealer refused to release the car back to me claiming that they could not let the car back out on the road without them effecting the repairs.  I sent my mechanic by to see what the issue was (my expense) and his assessment was not the same as theirs, they LET HIM TAKE IT and he brought it back to me with no further problem.  I pay good money to take care of my vehicles and I quit going to Ford shops as they became money sink holes compared to having an offline mechanic shop with good local repute.  I have notified Ford now on three occasions even going so far as to file a customer service complaint.  That was reconciled by them as "no further action required."  The simple fact is this, I cannot get a safety recall effected by a Ford dealer without it costing me money for something my normal mechanic has never seen as an issue.  The service centers at the dealerships have become, in my mind, a predatory racket and are totally without credibility in my eyes.  I've owned Fords since 1986 and never had this problem until the last six years or so.  I will again, probably send my vehicle in through my mechanic, my cost) to get this work done as they know if they "find" anything, he will get the work.  Any other suggestions? 

This is why I don't buy new vehicles anymore! I buy 8 to 12 year old cars and drive them another 100,000 miles for 7 more years, and pay very little insurance and property taxes!  I love it!  Dealerships don't make money selling cars, they make it repairing cars!  The original Henry Ford said "let me have all the repairs, and I'll sell the cars for nothing!"  You can't get out of the dealer for ANYTHING for less than $200!

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

This is why I don't buy new vehicles anymore! I buy 8 to 12 year old cars and drive them another 100,000 miles for 7 more years, and pay very little insurance and property taxes!  I love it!  Dealerships don't make money selling cars, they make it repairing cars!  The original Henry Ford said "let me have all the repairs, and I'll sell the cars for nothing!"  You can't get out of the dealer for ANYTHING for less than $200!

Zackly

On 3/9/2020 at 2:54 PM, akirby said:

What exactly were the things they said needed to be fixed?  If 3 different dealers told you the same thing, maybe they're right and your mechanic was wrong?

ALL of the incidents were for three different recall notices and all three shops had different issues noted.  And all three times, my usual mechanic dismissed the claims as another attempt to bilk their customers.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:58 PM, jcartwright99 said:

I've never had that happen either. Every recall that I've had done at my dealership has been relatively easy. Drop off car and into a loaner. Pick it up and drop off loaner. Now, I am one who obsesses about maintenance and tend to keep up on that. Was this a safety concern that they wouldn't give it back? In some instances, some shops will make you sign a waiver saying they told you about the safety concern and you chose not to do it.

That was the whole problem, it was not a safety concern, it was for a carbon flush of all things.  Total BS, that is why I had my mechanic talk to them and like I say, they released my vehicle to him without my expressed implied consent.  My main problem, from Ford's perspective, is that I have moved a lot.  I had two really good dealers for many years when I was living in the same region, once I moved around and away from that area, it's been a joke ever since.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:57 PM, Black Label said:

Not saying the OP's concerns aren't real, but, me neither. Dealers get paid by the manufacturer to do recall work. Not sure why they would do extra work hoping to get paid for it. 

They did not do the work without permission but rather made compelling arguments for me to authorize the work, things like carbon flushes, replacing spark plugs, alleged defective wheel speed sensors, all things my mechanic was capable of validating and in every instance, those services were not required.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlvanKarpas said:

That was the whole problem, it was not a safety concern, it was for a carbon flush of all things.  Total BS, that is why I had my mechanic talk to them and like I say, they released my vehicle to him without my expressed implied consent.  My main problem, from Ford's perspective, is that I have moved a lot.  I had two really good dealers for many years when I was living in the same region, once I moved around and away from that area, it's been a joke ever since.

Where are you located? 

i could see a repair shop saying you need new tires, coolant flush, etc. but to actually try and hold your vehicle hostage is highly illegal. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AlvanKarpas said:

That's when you place a courtesy call to the Police about the dealer not returning your property.  Their attitude would change real quick.

Edited by blwnsmoke

My dealer called during an annual state safety inspection to tell me both front springs on our 2010 Fusion Hybrid were broken.  They wanted $600 to put new strut assemblies on it.  I asked if they would be genuine Ford parts, but he said no they would be Monroe... at a Ford dealer.  I told them to just fail the inspection and I would replace them myself and bring it back. They had no problem letting me drive it home with broken front springs.  Got Motorcraft strut assemblies from Rock Auto for $100 each and saved 400 bucks.

Edited by CoolScoop

If a post from a Ford owner since his first 1986 Taurus and has owned Fords ever since seems suspicious, I guess I'm not a very good Ford owner.  There are few that have been as loyal to the brand as I have and the reason for that is simple.  I worked many years as an engineering consultant to Ford and the Tier 1 supply base for over 30 years.  Ford has buttered my bread and has provided me with reliable, well-designed vehicles.  This is not a slam on Ford or the cars or the factories or the people that build them.  This is, plain and simple, a series of bad experiences by the one part of the Ford system that Ford does not own nor control, the dealership base.  The best way to make a problem go away is to ignore it, something engineers contend with at every step of the vehicle process from concept to final production.  I have filed two complaints with Ford Customer Service of which both they categorized as "no further action."  That did sadden me as Ford does still control their customer service.  Nevertheless, my only hope here was that someone of influence within the Ford system might take note and offer a helping hand.  Even if it was nothing more than a regional manager offering to "encourage" the local dealer's service manager to make sure that my experience was seamless on getting recall work done, nothing more.  But discredit or discount my testimony if you like, it is your prerogative for sure.  But just remember that I have remained loyal but am now at that point where I am finding it has no regard with the customer service and apparently, the Ford community in general.  FWIW, years ago, this is where all those critical of Ford and wanted to see it redress issues came to voice their concerns and dirty laundry in order to be a better car company.  Apparently that is no longer the case?