cam phaser rattel

The truck has 10,000 in total.

I dont think it is the turbos.

I tried to remote start with the hood open, but the remote start will not work with the hood open.

I will have my wife try and start with the hood open, so i can get a video and close enough to hear where the rattle is coming from

• Like 1

Just now, vipersinu2 said:

The truck has 10,000 in total.

I dont think it is the turbos.

I tried to remote start with the hood open, but the remote start will not work with the hood open.

I will have my wife try and start with the hood open, so i can get a video and close enough to hear where the rattle is coming from

Wow, that is odd to have a phaser rattle on a new truck. Yes, if you can post the video that would be great. Obviously should be a warranty repair if the phaser(s) needs to be replaced. Let us know. 

20 minutes ago, vipersinu2 said:

The Dealer service manager thinks this is normal.

The master tech is not in today.

Not normal, IMO. Go to another dealer if one is nearby. That manager sounds incompetent. I never get that. It isn't normal and is warranty work. Why do they make it difficult like this?

Edited by Black Label

4 hours ago, Black Label said:

Not normal, IMO. Go to another dealer if one is nearby. That manager sounds incompetent. I never get that. It isn't normal and is warranty work. Why do they make it difficult like this?

on a side note I am new to eco boost engines. should I be concerned about  water condensation in the intercooler that can cause misfires or crack the spark plugs? also should I look into the catch can to stop the egr gasses in to the crank case?  The more I read about these engines its seem to be a nightmare.

10 minutes ago, vipersinu2 said:

on a side note I am new to eco boost engines. should I be concerned about  water condensation in the intercooler that can cause misfires or crack the spark plugs? also should I look into the catch can to stop the egr gasses in to the crank case?  The more I read about these engines its seem to be a nightmare.

I haven't heard of those condensation issues. 

I think catch cans are like snake oil. Just my opinion. The second generation EcoBoost adds port injection for many reasons. One is supposedly to spray the back of the injectors with fuel to prevent the carbon fouling that the catch can crowd advocates for. Some say, well it can't hurt. Others say, well it can hurt because the engine is designed to burn the vapors the catch can system condenses into liquid. 

I will not be installing one on my 2020 Nav. 

Edit: I am new to the EcoBoost as well. Did a lot reading and spoke to some mechanics I trust. The ones who even knew what a catch can is said the notion is ridiculous. 

Edited by Black Label

21 hours ago, vipersinu2 said:

The catch can is not needed on these 4th gen expedition/navigators.  On another forum (pm me if you want that link) there are several posts that go into detail why that is, there are sOme guys running them but nothing to empty.   Your service manager is either incompetent or hoping you’ll go elsewhere.  Last I heard these parts are on backorder and there isn’t an updated part to keep this from happening again... yet.  From what I understand a updated and permanent fix is due in the spring for this issue.  You got a crap luck of the draw but rest assured, the ecoboost platform is a great power plant and will serve you well once this warranty work is taken care of.  My Lincoln dealer and service manager are top notch and go above and beyond, you may want to go to a different dealer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boredinbirmingham said:

The catch can is not needed on these 4th gen expedition/navigators.  On another forum (pm me if you want that link) there are several posts that go into detail why that is, there are sOme guys running them but nothing to empty.   Your service manager is either incompetent or hoping you’ll go elsewhere.  Last I heard these parts are on backorder and there isn’t an updated part to keep this from happening again... yet.  From what I understand a updated and permanent fix is due in the spring for this issue.  You got a crap luck of the draw but rest assured, the ecoboost platform is a great power plant and will serve you well once this warranty work is taken care of.  My Lincoln dealer and service manager are top notch and go above and beyond, you may want to go to a different dealer.

I'm new to it but loving my EcoBoost so far. Agreed on not needing a catch can. Biggest benefit is to the person who makes it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

I'm new to it but loving my EcoBoost so far. Agreed on not needing a catch can. Biggest benefit is to the person who makes it. 

With the cam phaser issue I can understand your trepidation.  I, on the other hand, am also on my first ecoboost but have had zero issues and love it so far.  It’s all a roll of the dice.  You’ll have your issue resolved I feel sure if it.

3 minutes ago, boredinbirmingham said:

With the cam phaser issue I can understand your trepidation.  I, on the other hand, am also on my first ecoboost but have had zero issues and love it so far.  It’s all a roll of the dice.  You’ll have your issue resolved I feel sure if it.

I think you misunderstood. I have no trepidation. No issues for me so far.