2021 Ford Equator for China

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That could be too, I don't know. I don't talk to my source anymore so I don't keep up on those things like I used to. Probably for the best so I keep myself out of trouble. 

C’mon we need good sources!

We do know that the current 2-row and 3-row Edge look different  in the rear hatch,

perhaps the 3-row takes over that primary SUV role and the 2-row follows Escape

in becoming more car like........

Edited by jpd80

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So even though whatever it is it's a cobbled together Mule, this looks completely different than what I saw and was told was NG Edge, so either what I saw was something else entirely (doubtful) or the design changed a LOT since Hackett took over. 

I've been saying for a while now there appears to be are three different Edge replacement programs... OneFord is basically dead. Ford China is working on a 3-row CUV to replace their Edge (which will be called Edge probably). Europe is working on something with 3-rows of seats too but supposedly smaller. And the US has it own program going originally with CD6 but that apparently got cancelled or is being reworked as a C2. 

Edited by bzcat

• 6 months later...
48 minutes ago, bzcat said:

The car in the OP is Chinese market Edge replacement, not Kuga Max or Grand Escape. 

So is the Edge going away in the US also?

The other thing, there was some name recently trademarked by Ford for North and South America? That might make for a better name then a Kuga Max or Grand Escape. 

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

So is the Edge going away in the US also?

The other thing, there was some name recently trademarked by Ford for North and South America? That might make for a better name then a Kuga Max or Grand Escape. 

You will find out after Unifor contract! Deadline is Monday at 11:59 pm. So within the next week or two we SHOULD know more about this Edge Nautilus speculation. Unless we strike! 

It is my hope that the new Edge uses the 3-row body proportions in North America and ROW markets

currently getting the 2-riw Edge. I think that would be a better fit between Escape and Explorer.

Maybe evolve the 2-row Edge into a lower crossover that replaces Fusion in North America?

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It is my hope that the new Edge uses the 3-row body proportions in North America and ROW markets

currently getting the 2-riw Edge. I think that would be a better fit between Escape and Explorer.

Maybe evolve the 2-row Edge into a lower crossover that replaces Fusion in North America?

The Edge, at least in North America is slotted as a more sporty alternative/larger then the Escape. The formula works pretty well in NA at least, maybe not so much in the rest of the world.

But given the following Happening:

Grand Escape/Kuga Max

Fusion sport wagon/Subaru fighter

Midsize BEV

That doesn't leave much space for it. 

With me looking at things, I'd rather see the Edge name moved to the BEV product that is coming. 

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

We currently have a 2011 Edge.  Plan to replace it next year with another Edge.  We wouldn’t consider a 3 row Edge.  Don’t want something that big. The Escape is a little bit too small.  The Edge fits just right for us. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, passis said:

Thanks!

Any chance of going to Europe or any other market? 

Or any other info regarding its mechanics (eg, is it a real Ford or a JMC?)?

Not much is known about this vehicle besides it is being developed for the Chinese market. Europe won't be getting it... they will stick with Kuga Max, Mondeo Active, and Explorer which they think is better fit. 

Edit: Not sure what you mean by JMC but JMC is just a Ford brand in China. It's possible that this SUV is being developed for Jiangling Ford as opposed to Chang'an Ford but either way, it is still a Ford. Just like there is two versions of every VW or Toyota models in China, Ford could be developing an alternate version of Edge for Jiangling Ford since the current Edge is a Chang'an Ford product.

Chang'an Ford: EcoSport, Kuga, Escape, Edge, Explorer

Jiangling Ford: Territory, Yusheng S350, Everest

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The Edge, at least in North America is slotted as a more sporty alternative/larger then the Escape. The formula works pretty well in NA at least, maybe not so much in the rest of the world.

But given the following Happening:

Grand Escape/Kuga Max

Fusion sport wagon/Subaru fighter

Midsize BEV

That doesn't leave much space for it. 

With me looking at things, I'd rather see the Edge name moved to the BEV product that is coming. 

I think that's basically the issue and why Edge was repeatedly delayed for replacement in North America. Meanwhile China and Europe moved ahead with their own replacement programs - China with something a little bigger and Europe with something smaller but both with 7 seats.

Moving the Edge name to the TBD midsize EV is probably the most logical outcome. We should get a much better idea of what Ford's plans are after Oakville negotiation. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Not much is known about this vehicle besides it is being developed for the Chinese market. Europe won't be getting it... they will stick with Kuga Max, Mondeo Active, and Explorer which they think is better fit. 

I think that's basically the issue and why Edge was repeatedly delayed for replacement in North America. Meanwhile China and Europe moved ahead with their own replacement programs - China with something a little bigger and Europe with something smaller but both with 7 seats.

Moving the Edge name to the TBD midsize EV is probably the most logical outcome. We should get a much better idea of what Ford's plans are after Oakville negotiation. 

I find it strange that Ford wants to build to electric crossovers the same size as the edge and nautilus in Ohio. Why not maybe just build them where the edge and nautilus are built?? We will know more like I said before what their plans are after the unifor contract is ironed out. Will it be fusion active??? New edge nautilus??? Will it be some sort of electric???  Will it be no new product?? Almost time to find out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I find it strange that Ford wants to build to electric crossovers the same size as the edge and nautilus in Ohio. Why not maybe just build them where the edge and nautilus are built?? We will know more like I said before what their plans are after the unifor contract is ironed out. Will it be fusion active??? New edge nautilus??? Will it be some sort of electric???  Will it be no new product?? Almost time to find out.

Yeah I found that odd too, especially since they had already announced it for Flat Rock a year prior. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Different platforms, different suppliers.