Samsung's solid-state battery technology promises to deliver 500 miles of range

Samsung's solid-state battery technology promises to deliver 500 miles of range

Can Samsung win the race to develop this technology?

Samsung is developing a state-of-the-art solid-state battery pack that could send range anxiety the way of the carburetor. The electronics giant announced its engineers have made an extremely promising breakthrough.

The list of car and tech companies racing to bring solid-state battery technology to the market grows annually. These batteries typically charge faster, offer much greater energy density, and are safer than comparable lithium-ion battery packs — in theory, at least. Getting it right while keeping costs in check is easier said than done, and most engineers agree we won't see these batteries in showrooms until the middle of the 2020s, but Samsung believes it's very close to cracking the code. It presented and detailed a prototype in a Japanese science journal.

Elon Musk on Suicide Watch

Full Story

6 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

what's this Musk is on suicide watch?

Elon Musk was scheduled to defend himself in Delaware Court of Chancery next week. The lawsuit involves Tesla's acquisition of Solar City in 2016. In February, the judge denied Musk's request to dismiss it. Now the trial has been postponed because of coronavirus. https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-shareholder-trial-postponed-because-of-coronavirus-report-2020-3

53 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Elon Musk was scheduled to defend himself in Delaware Court of Chancery next week. The lawsuit involves Tesla's acquisition of Solar City in 2016. In February, the judge denied Musk's request to dismiss it. Now the trial has been postponed because of coronavirus. https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-shareholder-trial-postponed-because-of-coronavirus-report-2020-3

You have to wonder, how many times can Musk tempt fate before something takes a big bite out of him and his companies.

Edited by jpd80

18 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

what's this Musk is on suicide watch?

Another poster called it "a joke or snide comment, depending  on your point of view."  I would call it a stupid comment, considering that Tesla is set to announce their own big battery news in April(unless that gets delayed by the CV, too).

5 minutes ago, AGR said:

Another poster called it "a joke or snide comment, depending  on your point of view."  I would call it a stupid comment, considering that Tesla is set to announce their own big battery news in April(unless that gets delayed by the CV, too).

You must be fun at parties.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Well Ford and Samsung SDI have been collaborating on battery tech for 15+ years now. 

Thank you jasonj80 sir, I was wondering why this article about Samsung's SSB research (which is really neat) is in the Ford Motor Company Discussion Forum.

• Like 1

Diverse research on battery technology is promising and perhaps parallel development enables manufacturers

to deliver slightly different power delivery attributes. It may be a quicker path to solving fast charge times.

i like the idea of combining super caps with batteries as a way of maximizing regenbraking energy

ful aluminium construction must surely be in the works, cutting the weight moved increases range

or can be used to reduce battery size......

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 92merc said:

I'm not sure which is better.  But Tesla bought out Maxwell Technologies to get access to their super-capacitor technology.  So I'm betting that's where Tesla feels electricity storage is heading towards.

Lamborghini is working on it..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/billroberson/2019/09/06/what-are-supercapacitors-and-what-are-they-doing-in-lamborghinis-new-sin-supercar/amp/

7 hours ago, probowler said:

You might want to check your glasses old man, I defended the Bronco having IFS...

OK, so you're not in the SFA mafia, but you did defend them, and you are a Luddite.  So forgive us if we can't tell the difference.

18 minutes ago, AGR said:

OK, so you're not in the SFA mafia, but you did defend them, and you are a Luddite.  So forgive us if we can't tell the difference.

What are you talking about?  If I get a new Bronco, I'm getting all the features. I'm like the only person on this forum who thinks Lincoln should make a Lux Bronco.

You're high man, stop confusing me with other people you absolute chode.

3 minutes ago, AGR said:

You're the guy who doesn't want stability control, dreamed about the Bronco not having a touchscreen, etc.

Bruuuh, I also dreamt that the seats turn into beds, that doesn't mean I want to sleep in my car ?

Second, how does not wanting stability control in an Off-road vehicle equate to hating technology? I remember that thread, and I also remember someone saying that modifying your vehicle, lifting and modifying the suspension can upset the stability computers and electronics. That's kind of a big deal for the Bronco!

We're talking about an enthusiast vehicle, that means a lot of people are going to want to modify and work on them. Wanting your vehicle to be easier to customize doesn't mean you hate technology. I honestly don't see why you're hating on people over that, if anything it sounds like you're biased against people who don't want "electric everything!" While there are certainly some features I could go without, I would definitely love heated windshields, AC seats, and adaptive cruise control. Hell, commuting would suck without regular cruise control!

Here's a free tip though, if you make less assumptions about people, you'll look like less of an ass.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:32 PM, AGR said:

Uh yeah, this from the guy that (along with several cohorts) spent 8-10 pages in the Bronco thread bitching that it has IFS...

17 hours ago, probowler said:

You might want to check your glasses old man, I defended the Bronco having IFS...

9 hours ago, AGR said:

9 hours ago, probowler said:

You're high man, stop confusing me with other people you absolute chode.

9 hours ago, AGR said:

You're the guy who doesn't want stability control, dreamed about the Bronco not having a touchscreen, etc.

8 hours ago, probowler said:

Here's a free tip though, if you make less assumptions about people, you'll look like less of an ass.

image.png.c8811dbef8e68faaeada6dba64012d0d.png

• Like 1