2019/2020 Edge Adaptive Headlights

Sean J.

Hi all, I'm hoping somebody sees this and can help. I just picked up my 2020 Edge ST, which is amazing. There's just one thing that's left me scratching my head. With the adaptive headlight system (included only in the 401A pkg), the left display screen menu under "Vehicle>Settings>Lighting has a greyed out adaptive headlight option that you cannot select no matter what other selections you make or things you do. I took it to the dealer and they don't know either. Is this a software glitch? Should that menu option have been removed? Should it be selectable? Is this something that is country specific? The car manual seems to show a sub-menu under this option so either the manual is out of date/wrong or that area should be selectable for whatever options it contains.

Thanks!

D0A2B0AD-5E23-45D9-9253-43B747C58ECB.jpeg

7E36B634-8B73-4152-8CC3-1211807240F3.jpeg

Edited by TobyTime
Clarification

I checked mine and don't see that option at all. It shows choice of auto high beams and a timer setting for the lights before they turn off and daytime lights on or off. Just those 3 options, nothing grayed out.

Edited by MKX1960
  • Like 1

With the Edge ST, it has to be equipped with the 401A package which includes all the goodies like heated/cooled front seats, heated rear seats, the adaptive headlights, pano roof, etc. (similar type package with the Titanium). Not sure on the Lincoln side of things. Dealership checked other similarly equipped 2020 Edges w/401A on the lot and all had the same issue. Wasn't sure if there was a Ford person on here who maybe knows what the issue is. It's odd. Thanks for the reply!

Ok. Thanks. Dealership said nothing about an update being available even though I asked about that, so I assume there isn't one yet. If there is, maybe they didn't know or don't like to do them unless necessary? Is there anyone higher up at Ford that might be able to shed some light? I also have some feedback for them unrelated to this that I'd like to pass along.

Ok. So since your 2019 isn't showing the option at all in the dash settings I wonder if your service notice is intended to fix the inop adaptive headlight issue previously reported by other 2019 owners, that then leaves the greyed out option in settings as some sort of additional glitch? Are your adaptives doing the initial self-check when they come on every time you start the car and can see them move (presumably when it's dark)?

On 3/14/2020 at 8:12 PM, TobyTime said:

Ok. So since your 2019 isn't showing the option at all in the dash settings I wonder if your service notice is intended to fix the inop adaptive headlight issue previously reported by other 2019 owners, that then leaves the greyed out option in settings as some sort of additional glitch? Are your adaptives doing the initial self-check when they come on every time you start the car and can see them move (presumably when it's dark)?

No, the lights don't self check. Must not be working at all.

• Like 1

Ok then. Once you do your available update, they should work, but you'll probably then see the greyed out area in settings that I'm curious about. If you hear anything along the way about another update that addresses that, let me know.

Thanks!

I own a 2019 Edge ST as well. I had the Adaptive Headlight update done on my vehicle. The headlights now function as they should, but the left side menu never showed the Adaptive Headlight menu the way the manual indicates. My lighting menu only shows the Auto Highbeam On/Off, Light Delay and Daytime Running lights on/Off.  I have asked the dealer about it, they were trying to find out why the menu was missing, but they never did get back to me.

Edited by JAFFO
  • Like 1

Thanks JAFFO. So you're saying that you also have the greyed out adaptive headlight option like me, or just no option at all in your settings area? If so, it seems like this is definitely indicative of a software bug that they need another update to fix.

13 minutes ago, TobyTime said:

Thanks JAFFO. So you're saying that you also have the greyed out adaptive headlight option like me, or just no option at all in your settings area? If so, it seems like this is definitely indicative of a software bug that they need another update to fix.

Why bother?  You don't need to turn them off, just leave them on all the time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Why bother?  You don't need to turn them off, just leave them on all the time.

The thing is they only work like normal headlamps instead of the dynamic bending feature they're supposed to have. They're supposed to work in conjunction with other systems to follow the road and see farther ahead.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JAFFO said:

I own a 2019 Edge ST as well. I had the Adaptive Headlight update done on my vehicle. The headlights now function as they should, but the left side menu never showed the Adaptive Headlight menu the way the manual indicates. My lighting menu only shows the Auto Highbeam On/Off, Light Delay and Daytime Running lights on/Off.  I have asked the dealer about it, they were trying to find out why the menu was missing, but they never did get back to me.

Mine only has those 3 settings with no grayed out lines. I haven't had my update done yet. I've had the car almost a year and have only driven at night once returning from the Grand Canyon.

• Like 1

MKX, I say do the update. It could prevent future issues if any arise and getting behind on updates never pans out well. There may also be other fixes built into that update too so there's that. You'll end up with a greyed out menu option like me but at least the lights will function as they're supposed to. As I said above, I don't like inconsistencies, so I'll probably just see this through at the dealership until they get an update. I'm nothing if not relentless when it comes to my cars. ??

9 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

The thing is they only work like normal headlamps instead of the dynamic bending feature they're supposed to have. They're supposed to work in conjunction with other systems to follow the road and see farther ahead.

That was addressed to TobyTime who appears to have the feature just not the menu option to turn them off so he probably already has the update.  

If you have neither then you need to get the update to activate them.   I know what they are - we have the HID version on our 2016 MkX.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TobyTime, My Lighting menu does not have the Adaptive Headlight section at all. The words don't even appear! There are supposed to be settings under the Adaptive Headlight menu that I would like to see, but there has been no news from the dealer at all!

• Like 1

JAFFO,

My guess is the update you got fixed the problem as it should have. I personally don't believe the adaptive headlight verbiage should show up in the information screen at all and I don't think there are any settings for it. I think those of us with the greyed out option have some sort of holdover software bug. The 2019/2020 owners manual has a lot of information and pictures from the previous generation edge that exited in 2018, which makes things even more confusing. Bulb specification charts showing old incandescent part numbers for bulbs that are currently LED, info about HID headlights which the 2019 & 2020 do not have, and the location of the key-fob remote slot in the center console are three inconsistencies that I've found. Apparently the owners manual update team either didn't do a thorough job or knows nothing about the actual vehicle the manual is for. As for the headlights, my guess is there's a more recent update to some sort of software package in the vehicle that removes the verbiage altogether as it should. So, if your headlights move when doing a self-check at start up, AND you're devoid of the menu option, I believe that is correct. I'll post additional info here if I find anything else out.

Stay safe and sane!

TT

Edited by TobyTime

14 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Have you tried to see the menu option is available when the headlamp switch is in different positions, like On vs Auto?

jasonj80,

Oh yes, the dealership and I have done all the things. I believe I read somewhere in the manual that "Auto" needs to be the headlamp setting anyway, to work in conjunction with the adaptive setting, but I'm dealing with a couple different items on this vehicle and could be remembering that incorrectly from what I've read.

Thanks!

TT