2019/2020 Edge Adaptive Headlights

Sean J.

Thanks TT... I definitely have the amber LED turn signals (see attached) And I have been to two actual Ford dealerships and both say the same thing that I don’t have them.

Any insight on what to do if my vehicle is coded incorrectly? Ford CR is DOA today due to “system updates” so they’re even more useless than usual. 

Edited by Cherga

1 hour ago, Cherga said:

Thanks TT... I definitely have the amber LED turn signals (see attached) And I have been to two actual Ford dealerships and both say the same thing that I don’t have them.

Any insight on what to do if my vehicle is coded incorrectly? Ford CR is DOA today due to “system updates” so they’re even more useless than usual. 

Hi Cherga. You seem to have exhausted your Dealer options, since they keep telling you the same thing. So the next logical step would be to contact Ford Customer Relations.

One question: Did you purchase your Edge new or used?

EDIT - Would you mind posting your VIN so I/we can pull up the as-built information?

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Does anyone have a Canadian Edge mode w/301a that is in Canada? Can you access the menu for the Adaptive Headlights or is it ghosted out? The headlights might be illegal in the US to function as Ford designed them as our lighting laws are so old.

Edited by jasonj80

37 minutes ago, Cherga said:

TT— that’s a picture of the amber led side view mirror. I’ll take/post a headlight picture shortly.

Ah, Mirrors are not part of our discussion though, just headlights, at least that's what I gathered when you presented your case. Do you have a mirror issue too?

TT

51 minutes ago, Cherga said:

TT... I was just showing I have the amber LED mirror Turn signals which should mean there is no question that I have adaptive head lights.

Cherga,

I think you may be a bit confused. Your rearview mirrors don't have anything to do with your headlights and this specific LED lightblade option. The option we're discussing is your vehicle's turn signals. Have you turned on your flashers and looked at the car? Anything you are seeing in your rearview mirrors is just a courtesy addition by any car company that does it and is therefore a redundant feature.

TT

1 hour ago, Cherga said:

TT... I was just showing I have the amber LED mirror Turn signals which should mean there is no question that I have adaptive head lights.

Cherga,

Here is a pic of my ST headlight as an example. I have the 401a pkg and therefore have the LED headlight option.

TT

5551F40F-B89D-415F-A057-764F76D9D2B9.jpeg

The LED "light blade" refer to the rear tail lamps, where in 2015-2018 there was the light bar. Titanium and ST's have different tail lights from SE/SEL/ST-Line. The Amber is left over from the 2015-2018 Edge where only Titanium and ST had amber rear turn signals and other models had red. All 2019+ Models have amber rear turn signals. 

18 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The LED "light blade" refer to the rear tail lamps, where in 2015-2018 there was the light bar. Titanium and ST's have different tail lights from SE/SEL/ST-Line. The Amber is left over from the 2015-2018 Edge where only Titanium and ST had amber rear turn signals and other models had red. All 2019+ Models have amber rear turn signals. 

Jason,

As it turns out, that is incorrect. The description of the feature is: "adaptive LED headlamps with LED amber light blade turn signals". I own the vehicle pictured above with the 401a pkg and LED "lightblade" front turn signals. In fact, any Ford Edge vehicles not so equipped have a standard incandescent turn signal bulb in the headlight and a completely different set up. As you stated, all 2019/2020 Edge trims now share the same taillight setup and have amber there as well.

TT

Edited by TobyTime

15 minutes ago, TobyTime said:

Jason,

As it turns out, that is incorrect. The description of the feature is: "adaptive LED headlamps with LED amber light blade turn signals". I own the vehicle pictured above with the 401a pkg and LED "lightblade" front turn signals. In fact, any Ford Edge vehicles not so equipped have a standard incandescent turn signal bulb in the headlight and a completely different set up. As you stated, all 2019/2020 Edge trims now share the same taillight setup and have amber there as well.

TT

Ah okay, Sorry I was confused about the headlight turn signal.

Titanium/ST still have different taillights than SE/SEL/ST-Line. They all have the amber, but the running lights are different. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Ah okay, Sorry I was confused about the headlight turn signal.

Titanium/ST still have different taillights than SE/SEL/ST-Line. They all have the amber, but the running lights are different. 

Correct, the taillight illumination itself is different between higher and lower trims, but still amber LED rear turn signal on all. I was focusing only on the rear turn signal itself so didn't think to clarify the other illumination.

TT

5 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Does anyone have a Canadian Edge mode w/301a that is in Canada? Can you access the menu for the Adaptive Headlights or is it ghosted out? The headlights might be illegal in the US to function as Ford designed them as our lighting laws are so old.

Ghosted out on mine

6 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

jasonj80:

You're in the U.S. and just wanting to compare yours with a Canadian model? I'm in the U.S. and would also be curious here. Every person that has replied to my original post about this same menu issue has confirmed they have it too. The only thing I have been able to come up with in working with my service guys is that Ford inadvertently added this menu option and forgot or didn't know to remove it OR they didn't add it to the system correctly so that it was a selectable (presumably giving the owner the ability to enable or disable the adaptive feature). If you hear anything otherwise, post it here please. Ford needs to employ internet trolls to scour these webpages and keep up on this dumb crap. Haha.

TT

12 hours ago, TobyTime said:

jasonj80:

You're in the U.S. and just wanting to compare yours with a Canadian model? I'm in the U.S. and would also be curious here. Every person that has replied to my original post about this same menu issue has confirmed they have it too. The only thing I have been able to come up with in working with my service guys is that Ford inadvertently added this menu option and forgot or didn't know to remove it OR they didn't add it to the system correctly so that it was a selectable (presumably giving the owner the ability to enable or disable the adaptive feature). If you hear anything otherwise, post it here please. Ford needs to employ internet trolls to scour these webpages and keep up on this dumb crap. Haha.

TT

I suspect based on the menu options in the owners manual they were to operate like this video. I don't have an Edge but a friend just got a 2020 ST. These are illegal in the US to operate this way, however they are allowed in Canada/EU. If they were enabled for the Canada version you could probably Forscan if you knew the coding from that model. The Euro versions actually use the foglamp as a corning light, That could probably be enabled with Forscan as well one again just need to figure out the code. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cherga said:

Window sticker attached... based upon options and prior info from this thread, it seems unlikely that I DON’T have adaptive headlights... thoughts?

ws.pdf

Cherga,

Since the above 2 pics are of the taillights not the headlights it's hard to confirm but the window sticker alone shows you have the correct package. Here's a screenshot of the 301a package contents for the Titanium.

Question: have you turned the car on at night in front of a garage, building, wall or something, so that you can see whether or not the headlights do the right/left self check? The actual feature is very subtle and hard to see in motion when the car is being driven so this would be the best gauge of their operation. Also, does the vin number on the window sticker you have match the vin of your actual Edge? It's certainly possible you have the wrong window sticker.

When you can, please attach pics of your headlights.

TT

8B9A44F8-4F62-42E1-9C93-904B7EAB5F56.png

I can confirm it has adaptive headlights. Sitting in my dark garage I observed the left/right self test albeit, no option in the vehicle menu at all, not even greyes out.

I called the dealer and they said the info in their system says “Level 5 headlamps without cornering”... I asked why I was told I had Level 4 yesterday and of course they danced around it.

They said there is obviously a programming or software error with the vehicle or their systems and asked me to bring it back next week so they can resolve with Ford’s assistance because “they’ve never seen this before”

I guess I’ll wait and see. Thanks for all the input!

Edited by Cherga

43 minutes ago, Cherga said:

I can confirm it has adaptive headlights. Sitting in my dark garage I observed the left/right self test albeit, no option in the vehicle menu at all, not even greyes out.

Wait - yesterday you said they didn’t move at startup.  Now you’re saying they do move at startup?  If so they are working fine.  There is no reason to turn them off so don’t worry about the menu option.  I don’t think they ever fixed the menu.

Today they’re working, not sure if the dealer did something yesterday or what but I checked a couple times over the past couple days and didn’t see them move and based upon my observation, it’s unlikely I missed them so I’m leaning towards the dealer doing something. Regardless, the dealer acknowledged something isn’t right and they want to try to correct the details in whatever systems they’re using to ensure my vehicle is accurately included in future software updates/recalls/etc. At this point I’m wondering what else is wrong as the Titanium with 301a should also have Sirius Travelink for 5 years and Sirius said it only came with a 3 month free trial and that was based on the info sent to them by Ford, trivial but another indication of something not being right in Ford’s systems.

Update: I just checked the paperwork from my service yesterday and it states they reprogrammed the headlamp module despite no updates per customer request. That must have enabled them.

Edited by Cherga
  • Like 1