2019/2020 Edge Adaptive Headlights

Sean J.

Another question,  off topic, about the 301a package... With the confirmation of the adaptive headlights, I have now verified that my Edge has all of the 301a options it’s supposed to except Sirius Traffic/Travel Link... based upon the brochure and options listed under 301a on the Titanium, I’m understanding that the vehicle should include 5-years prepaid Sirius traffic and travel link. Am I interpreting correctly? Just trying to be prepared for the assumption that the dealer is going to challenge me on it like they did with the adaptive headlights.

Edited by Cherga

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 5:00 AM, Cherga said:

Another question,  off topic, about the 301a package... With the confirmation of the adaptive headlights, I have now verified that my Edge has all of the 301a options it’s supposed to except Sirius Traffic/Travel Link... based upon the brochure and options listed under 301a on the Titanium, I’m understanding that the vehicle should include 5-years prepaid Sirius traffic and travel link. Am I interpreting correctly? Just trying to be prepared for the assumption that the dealer is going to challenge me on it like they did with the adaptive headlights.

Cherga,

Sorry for the late reply here. You should definitely have the Sirius Traffic/Travel Link on that car for 5 years. I can't remember if you mentioned being the original owner or not, but that could be the issue if there is a prior owner, but should be easy to fix either way. If you've already taken ownership of the SiriusXM account on that vehicle and have an active subscription on it, you should see the Traffic/Travel Link subscription in your radio details on the SiriusXM website. If you don't currently pay for SiriusXM radio on that vehicle, I'm not sure how the 5 year plan comes into play.

TT

Thanks TT... I spoke to the sales manager at the dealer and he said the 5-year travel link follows the vehicle and is not tied to original owners. That said, I spent countless hours on the phone with Ford and Sirius each pointing the finger at each other and even with a free 3-month trial provisioned at Sirius, the vehicle wouldn’t enable travel link. During this saga the vehicle has been throwing constant errors about adaptive cruise and front collision being disabled. It’s been at the dealer 5 times in 3 weeks for all of these issues and their solution to the adaptive cruise errors has been cleaning the windshield since they were unable to duplicate. Each time, 15 minutes after I leave the dealer the alerts start again. 

I also received confirmation that the vehicle is not setup properly in Ford’s service systems and two different dealers don’t know how to fix it and of course, Ford customer relations is useless. I spoke to a friend who is a former service manager for Ford who now works for another brand. He said he’s seen my issues before and that I should be concerned about the improper provisioning in Ford’s systems because who knows what else isn’t setup correctly and there could be recalls and or safety related issues that would go unknown because their systems may not include my vehicle as being affected even if it is.

i finally gave up on this vehicle and returned it to the dealer I purchased from which they accepted with no grief given the issues.  I gave up on Ford 20 years ago due to issues I had with Explorers, Expeditions and Rangers in my corporate fleet and I’m disappointed to see that, in my opinion, nothing has changed with quality and service departments abilities/willingness to resolve issues.

8 hours ago, Cherga said:

Thanks TT... I spoke to the sales manager at the dealer and he said the 5-year travel link follows the vehicle and is not tied to original owners. That said, I spent countless hours on the phone with Ford and Sirius each pointing the finger at each other and even with a free 3-month trial provisioned at Sirius, the vehicle wouldn’t enable travel link. During this saga the vehicle has been throwing constant errors about adaptive cruise and front collision being disabled. It’s been at the dealer 5 times in 3 weeks for all of these issues and their solution to the adaptive cruise errors has been cleaning the windshield since they were unable to duplicate. Each time, 15 minutes after I leave the dealer the alerts start again. 

I also received confirmation that the vehicle is not setup properly in Ford’s service systems and two different dealers don’t know how to fix it and of course, Ford customer relations is useless. I spoke to a friend who is a former service manager for Ford who now works for another brand. He said he’s seen my issues before and that I should be concerned about the improper provisioning in Ford’s systems because who knows what else isn’t setup correctly and there could be recalls and or safety related issues that would go unknown because their systems may not include my vehicle as being affected even if it is.

i finally gave up on this vehicle and returned it to the dealer I purchased from which they accepted with no grief given the issues.  I gave up on Ford 20 years ago due to issues I had with Explorers, Expeditions and Rangers in my corporate fleet and I’m disappointed to see that, in my opinion, nothing has changed with quality and service departments abilities/willingness to resolve issues.

Cherga,

Wow! This is obviously a much more permeating and involved issue than I would have expected if you actually returned the car to the dealership! My only worry now is, what other unsuspecting buyer will get stuck with this specific car with unresolved issues. You'd think that person will eventually figure it out, especially when going to have it serviced the first time. I'm sorry this was your ultimate outcome!

So far in my time with Ford I have owned 4 different model year Fusions and now my current 2020 Edge ST. I've had some small issues along the way but ultimately I expect that from any car, regardless of manufacturer, and my service department is fantastic, so don't be too disheartened about Ford overall. I have loved all the Fords I've had, so I'm sorry to hear you've had a different experience!

What other car did you settle on as a replacement?

TT

I begged the dealer to ensure they get the issues resolved before reselling it again. Who knows what they’ll do?

I stuck with Ford, just the higher end by going with a Lincoln MKT. There’s a Lincoln dealer local to me that has been outstanding to work with on my Nautilus so I’m hoping I’ll have the same luck with the MKT. One week in and zero issues to report so I’m off to a good start.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cherga said:

I begged the dealer to ensure they get the issues resolved before reselling it again. Who knows what they’ll do?

I stuck with Ford, just the higher end by going with a Lincoln MKT. There’s a Lincoln dealer local to me that has been outstanding to work with on my Nautilus so I’m hoping I’ll have the same luck with the MKT. One week in and zero issues to report so I’m off to a good start.

Nice! Enjoy!

TT

• 3 weeks later...

I need to get answer to this adaptive headlight issue. My customer picked up his 2020 Edge Titanium last week. The adaptive headlight option on the left menu is greyed out and is unselectable. Does this mean that adaptive headlights were not installed at the factory or does it mean that they are not working or does it mean that they are working. Can a Ford Edge Product Manager answer this question.  

32 minutes ago, DanD said:

I need to get answer to this adaptive headlight issue. My customer picked up his 2020 Edge Titanium last week. The adaptive headlight option on the left menu is greyed out and is unselectable. Does this mean that adaptive headlights were not installed at the factory or does it mean that they are not working or does it mean that they are working. Can a Ford Edge Product Manager answer this question.  

There are no Ford product managers here.  But the answer is that it doesn’t matter if the option is greyed out, they can still be operative.  When you start the vehicle the adaptive lights will sweep left and right.  That’s how you know they’re working.  If they don’t sweep left and right at startup then they need a software update.  Even with the software update the menu option remains greyed out.  But this is t a feature you’d ever need to turn off so not a problem.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

There are no Ford product managers here.  But the answer is that it doesn’t matter if the option is greyed out, they can still be operative.  When you start the vehicle the adaptive lights will sweep left and right.  That’s how you know they’re working.  If they don’t sweep left and right at startup then they need a software update.  Even with the software update the menu option remains greyed out.  But this is t a feature you’d ever need to turn off so not a problem.

Thank you very much. Customer will try it tonight. Same customer has another question with same 2020 Edge Titanium. His previous Edge Titanium (2015) had shift paddles but his new 2020 Edge Titanium does not. Ford.ca (which customer is referencing) says shift paddles are std on Titanium Edges. Order guide says the are included with tow package.  

Don't know how to respond. Can you assist? Thanks

17 minutes ago, DanD said:

Thank you very much. Customer will try it tonight. Same customer has another question with same 2020 Edge Titanium. His previous Edge Titanium (2015) had shift paddles but his new 2020 Edge Titanium does not. Ford.ca (which customer is referencing) says shift paddles are std on Titanium Edges. Order guide says the are included with tow package.  

Don't know how to respond. Can you assist? Thanks

Hi Dan. It has been mentioned many times before, but can probably use repeating here: In most current Ford/Lincoln vehicles with "Adaptive Headlights", the headlight switch must also be set to "AUTO" for adaptive headlight operation.

Good luck.

12 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Attached is a copy of the 2020 Edge Order Guide (Canada) that may provide additional information as vehicle specifications often differ for other markets. 

2020 Edge Order Guide (Canada).pdf

Thank you. I do have this guide. Question is ....Ford.ca (which customer is referencing) shows paddle shifters as std equipment on Titanium Edge. 

13 minutes ago, DanD said:

Thank you. I do have this guide. Question is ....Ford.ca (which customer is referencing) shows paddle shifters as std equipment on Titanium Edge. 

Looking at the 2020 Edge Order Guide (Canada) the paddle shifters are standard equipment on the ST, not the Titanium. They are included with the Class II Trailer Tow Package (53G) which is optional. 

6 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Looking at the 2020 Edge Order Guide (Canada) the paddle shifters are standard equipment on the ST, not the Titanium. They are included with the Class II Trailer Tow Package (53G) which is optional. 

Thank you but I knew that. Ford.ca however says they are included in Titanium. That is what customer is looking at. 

4 minutes ago, DanD said:

Thank you but I knew that. Ford.ca however says they are included in Titanium. That is what customer is looking at. 

The customer is correct.   The ford.ca website shows paddle shifters as standard equipment which conflicts with the order guide.  You need to take that up with Ford Canada.

Just now, akirby said:

The customer is correct.   The ford.ca website shows paddle shifters as standard equipment which conflicts with the order guide.  You need to take that up with Ford Canada.

Thank you. 

49 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Dan. It has been mentioned many times before, but can probably use repeating here: In most current Ford/Lincoln vehicles with "Adaptive Headlights", the headlight switch must also be set to "AUTO" for adaptive headlight operation.

Good luck.

Thank you. Yes...I saw that too but I will make sure when we test it.

• 1 year later...

I currently have a Ford Edge ST 2019 with the 401A package and my mom has the exact same car trim wise, year wise and package wise. Her adaptive headlights work in her car and they do the self check when you start it up. On my Edge they only did the self check once, when I followed some steps which were to put the car into ignition on, turn off and turn back on the auto high beams and turn the lights off and then back to auto and start the car. They did the self check once but never kept working. Any new info on that? 

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2020 at 7:18 PM, TobyTime said:

Hi all, I'm hoping somebody sees this and can help. I just picked up my 2020 Edge ST, which is amazing. There's just one thing that's left me scratching my head. With the adaptive headlight system (included only in the 401A pkg), the left display screen menu under "Vehicle>Settings>Lighting has a greyed out adaptive headlight option that you cannot select no matter what other selections you make or things you do. I took it to the dealer and they don't know either. Is this a software glitch? Should that menu option have been removed? Should it be selectable? Is this something that is country specific? The car manual seems to show a sub-menu under this option so either the manual is out of date/wrong or that area should be selectable for whatever options it contains.

Thanks!

D0A2B0AD-5E23-45D9-9253-43B747C58ECB.jpeg

7E36B634-8B73-4152-8CC3-1211807240F3.jpeg

I have the 2020 Titanium and mine is not greyed out. It lets you turn the adaptive headlights on and off, also lets you adjust them to low  or high  setting. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Mister ford
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mister ford said:

I have the 2020 Titanium and mine is not greyed out. It lets you turn the adaptive headlights on and off, also lets you adjust them to low  or high  setting. Hope that helps. 

Great thanks! I checked mine the other day and it’s still greyed out, so either you have newer (or older) software than I do where it works as expected, or you maybe live in another country with different allowances/options available to select?

I keep wanting to check for a new software update but connecting the car to WiFi is such a pain as is having to leave it running as it does its thing, which takes some time to do!
Let me know,

Thanks,

TT