2020 Explorer XLT Disappointments

1 minute ago, dlghtjr90 said:

Correction: it is $5,140 for the 202A upgrade, not 200A.

I am unfortunate to announce any XLT without the 20" wheel upgrade will come with 255/65R18 Hankook Kinergy GT tires. I don't know if it's same spec as the previous-gen, but I presume cost was the highest priority.

No big deal, I knew what you meant. 202A is expensive for a couple not-very-expensive-to-include additions. :)

Yeah, my 2017 has 20" rims  (another non-negotiable for me) that were low quality Hankook, and my new one (if I get another XLT) will also have 20" rims. Not sure what brand the 2020 20" wheels are. I looked at some point but have forgotten.

TT

23 minutes ago, TobyTime said:

Very valid point and thank you for mentioning it! I too have found it crazy that the cost of the 202A is so high. I refuse to drive an Explorer without the features in that package though so I'll pay it as well as the $2,000 for 4WD, but yes, they're both expensive when considering the options they include.

Also, yes, I too find it odd that the captain's seats are now standard rather than optional, however, the reason for that I'm assuming is because Ford has engineered that new low-entry stepover center console in the 2nd row which makes getting people in the 3rd row much easier than a bench seat, I've tried it, it's good.

TT

The low-entry stepover center console is one of my least favorite features of our Explorer.  I think it looks cheap and I would rather it not be there. If it was stylized or trimmed to look better perhaps I wouldn’t mind. Unfortunately it can’t be removed because it leaves a hole in the carpet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TobyTime said:

No big deal, I knew what you meant. 202A is expensive for a couple not-very-expensive-to-include additions. :)

Yeah, my 2017 has 20" rims  (another non-negotiable for me) that were low quality Hankook, and my new one (if I get another XLT) will also have 20" rims. Not sure what brand the 2020 20" wheels are. I looked at some point but have forgotten.

TT

Thankfully it's a Michelin Primacy A/S. I know they're putting self-sealant technology on that too, but I don't know if all 20" Michelins are getting it or not. It could be possible that it's for AWD only or some other categorization.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dlghtjr90 said:

Thankfully it's a Michelin Primacy A/S. I know they're putting self-sealant technology on that too, but I don't know if all 20" Michelins are getting it or not. It could be possible that it's for AWD only or some other categorization.

Nice, thanks! How do you know all of that off the top of your head? Do you have access to Ford systems at home or are you a service employee or a Ford rep that works with this info frequently?

TT

All is not lost with the Explorer, contrary to what many post here. The vehicle is good, and it looks good if it’s style appeals to you.  Its performance is good, and listen  to the stereo for yourself to be the judge. With that said, there are a few material changes and adjustments that should be made and I think the pricing needs to be evaluated and the options do need to be packaged better. It’s a highly competitive market, and I think there is room within there profit margin goals to make adjustments and not rely on incentives.  

Edited by tbone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TobyTime said:

Nice, thanks! How do you know all of that off the top of your head? Do you have access to Ford systems at home or are you a service employee or a Ford rep that works with this info frequently?

TT

You can look tire info up on Tire Rack website as they indicate what is the original equipment.

Edited by dlghtjr90
  • Like 2

No disrespect to previous posters in this post, as this is mostly a cumulative observation,  but if you don't like it or it is too expensive then find something else. Spend what you are comfortable spending. If you think you get better quality or value somewhere else, then buy something else. It's that simple. 

It gets tiring reading the same old complaints about the Explorer. I complained about the launch and Ford shooting themselves in the foot but you know what, I got over it. Pricing and options are what they are. We know Ford is going the anti-FCA/Nissan route, with margin NOT sales being the top goal. Now let's see if they can find the correct margin/sales balance. Time will tell.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Or they underpriced the 200A for advertising purposes.  It’s only projected at 25% of XLT sales.

No question they’re shooting for premium pricing.  Just have to wait and see how it works.

Our store would take every XLT with the #200A and Comfort Package we could get. Problem is getting units scheduled with the Comfort Package which has become a commodity issue due to demand. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Our store would take every XLT with the #200A and Comfort Package we could get. Problem is getting units scheduled with the Comfort Package which has become a commodity issue due to demand. 

Really? Is that highly based on region possibly? Our local dealership is loath to order base XLT's. I for one agree with them on it. Those 18" rims and lack of fogs in the front on the 200A (coupled with that hideous new bent tip unfinished exhaust) make for an ugly vehicle. They should have left the exhaust and fogs (among other things) alone on the XLT imo.

TT

23 minutes ago, TobyTime said:

Really? Is that highly based on region possibly? Our local dealership is loath to order base XLT's. I for one agree with them on it. Those 18" rims and lack of fogs in the front on the 200A (coupled with that hideous new bent tip unfinished exhaust) make for an ugly vehicle. They should have left the exhaust and fogs (among other things) alone on the XLT imo.

TT

Absolutely, considering the Comfort Package includes a Heated Steering Wheel and Heated 1st & 2nd Row Seats. The Market Sales Mix the Comfort Package option for our area is 50% according to Ford which is low based on our sales history for the option and the calls we get from other dealerships looking for XLT units with the option. I've attached pricing examples for the XLT's with #200A vs. #202A for comparison pricing. 

Preview Order 2004 - K8D - XLT 4WD_Redacted.pdf

Preview Order 2027 - K8D - XLT 4WD_Redacted.pdf

Edited by ice-capades
Redaction for dealership ID only.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Absolutely, considering the Comfort Package includes a Heated Steering Wheel and Heated 1st & 2nd Row Seats. The Market Sales Mix the Comfort Package option for our area is 50% according to Ford which is low based on our sales history for the option and the calls we get from other dealerships looking for XLT units with the option. I've attached pricing examples for the XLT's with #200A vs. #202A for comparison pricing. 

Preview Order 2004 - K8D - XLT 4WD_Redacted.pdf

Preview Order 2027 - K8D - XLT 4WD_Redacted.pdf

I live in MI so the Comfort Package is for sure highly sought after, as is 4WD, and apparently the 202A in my area, more than likely for the remote start.

Btw, thanks for always having order guides available! Much appreciated! I love them!

TT

Edited by TobyTime

6 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Ice, Looks like we've got some XLT/200A/4WD w/Comfort package in my area (60185), grab a hauler and come get them.  We'll have lunch (6' apart though,,,,)

HRG

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Ice, Looks like we've got some XLT/200A/4WD w/Comfort package in my area (60185), grab a hauler and come get them.  We'll have lunch (6' apart though,,,,)

HRG

Thanks for the offer but we have enough inventory to last a while thanks to COVID-19 and CT's directive allowing online sales only! 

Sales_Shop Remotely_2020-03-23.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dlghtjr90 said:

Michelin Primacy A/S self seal tire option, size P255/55R20 is offered on Limited and Platinum versions of 2020 Explorer.

• $195 option for Limited (gas 2WD and 4WD)
  • Standard on Limited Hybrid 4WD
  • Standard on Platinum 4WD

Other Explorer trims with P255/55R20 tires use the conventional version of Michelin Primacy A/S.

Here is some more info about Michelin's Self Seal technology. https://www.michelinman.com/michelin-selfseal-technology.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Michelin Primacy A/S self seal tire option, size P255/55R20 is offered on Limited and Platinum versions of 2020 Explorer.

• $195 option for Limited (gas 2WD and 4WD)
  • Standard on Limited Hybrid 4WD
  • Standard on Platinum 4WD

Other Explorer trims with P255/55R20 tires use the conventional version of Michelin Primacy A/S.

Here is some more info about Michelin's Self Seal technology. https://www.michelinman.com/michelin-selfseal-technology.html

Excellent summary. For some reason I can't find these options in the Ford Build & Price, but the order guide and the price list states it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2020 at 6:46 PM, tbone said:

The low-entry stepover center console is one of my least favorite features of our Explorer.  I think it looks cheap and I would rather it not be there. If it was stylized or trimmed to look better perhaps I wouldn’t mind. Unfortunately it can’t be removed because it leaves a hole in the carpet. 

Will the full console from the Aviator fit the Explorer?

• 2 weeks later...

LED turn signals generally require another part for the signal to sync properly. So it is cheaper/easier to just use incandescents. If you watch the documentary a Faster Horse, the chief cost cutter has to shave pennies off each item to ensure everything stays in cost. An extra $5-$10 relay to make LEDs work is going to add a lot to the cost. Also consider this, these newer LED tail lights and LED headlights cost $500-$1000 EACH to replace. So those are already adding a lot to the cost of the vehicle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, metroplex said:

LED turn signals generally require another part for the signal to sync properly. So it is cheaper/easier to just use incandescents. If you watch the documentary a Faster Horse, the chief cost cutter has to shave pennies off each item to ensure everything stays in cost. An extra $5-$10 relay to make LEDs work is going to add a lot to the cost. Also consider this, these newer LED tail lights and LED headlights cost $500-$1000 EACH to replace. So those are already adding a lot to the cost of the vehicle.

I get that. What bugs me the most is that my prior vehicle, a 2017 Fusion Titanium, had full LED front and back, so Ford has definitely figured it out on some vehicles just not all. I'm just unhappy with the cuts they've made to this new platform Explorer for the sake of rear drive and all the shifting priorities that change dictated. In the end, I'll just have someone else install the LED rear turn signals and relays necessary. Did that on my 2017 Explorer without issue.

TT

I agree! My 2017 Fusion Sport has the SE tail light config, so the trunk doesn't have the full set of lights that your Titanium would have. Ford does some weird stuff with LED choices... like how the Focus had LED license plate lights but the SHO, Fusion Sport, and other much more expensive Fords have incandescent plate lights.

I put in white LED backup lights on the Fusion Sport and 2018 Explorer, so the backup camera has more illumination in the dark.

18 minutes ago, metroplex said:

I agree! My 2017 Fusion Sport has the SE tail light config, so the trunk doesn't have the full set of lights that your Titanium would have. Ford does some weird stuff with LED choices... like how the Focus had LED license plate lights but the SHO, Fusion Sport, and other much more expensive Fords have incandescent plate lights.

I put in white LED backup lights on the Fusion Sport and 2018 Explorer, so the backup camera has more illumination in the dark.

Your timing on those comments is impeccable because 1.) I was just going to comment on the oddity of the Focus license plate getting adorned with LED bulbs and 2.) I just saw a Fusion Sport the other day that did NOT have the full LED strips in back and I was puzzled. I always thought Titanium and Sport automatically came with the full strips because of their higher end trims, so you just addressed my puzzlement, although, now I'm left to wonder what the scoop is there? Did the Sport need a 401pkg or something to get the full LED strips?

PS I'm glad to give you the name of the online company I got my LED turn signal bulbs from for my 2017 Explorer. They look great and I chuckle because nobody else has them on their Explorers.

TT

Edited by TobyTime

I have the 401A on my Fusion Sport but the tail lights are still the SE style.  it was just something Ford did by using the SE tail lights on the Sport (cost savings??). There have been some ingenious Sport owners that retrofitted the Titanium/Mondeo trunk lights and did some changes in FORScan. I hear the 2019-up Fords now come with LED puddle lights, and I was curious if the Ford versions would retrofit. Everyone seems to make them now (even Dorman).

I am planning to turn in my Explorer at the end of the lease because the hood is already rusting and the rear brakes are rusted so badly that they drag. My garage gets filled with the smell of burning metal but i'm sure others might want to install those LED turn signal bulbs!

28 minutes ago, TobyTime said:

I get that. What bugs me the most is that my prior vehicle, a 2017 Fusion Titanium, had full LED front and back, so Ford has definitely figured it out on some vehicles just not all. 

Fusion?  You mean the one they cancelled because it wasn’t making enough profit?   

42 minutes ago, metroplex said:

I have the 401A on my Fusion Sport but the tail lights are still the SE style.  it was just something Ford did by using the SE tail lights on the Sport (cost savings??). There have been some ingenious Sport owners that retrofitted the Titanium/Mondeo trunk lights and did some changes in FORScan. I hear the 2019-up Fords now come with LED puddle lights, and I was curious if the Ford versions would retrofit. Everyone seems to make them now (even Dorman).

I am planning to turn in my Explorer at the end of the lease because the hood is already rusting and the rear brakes are rusted so badly that they drag. My garage gets filled with the smell of burning metal but i'm sure others might want to install those LED turn signal bulbs!

Oh that's so odd! To keep the SE taillights on the Sport but not the Titanium??!!

As for 2019 and up, I don't think the puddle lamps on my 2020 Edge ST are LED and I have the 401a pkg. I know the license plate ones aren't but I'll have to check the puddle lights.

Would be easier on the Sport Fusion to just get a Titanium trunk lid wouldn't it? You'd have to rebadge it with the Sport lettering but that would be about it wouldn't it? Expensive but maybe worth it.

Wait, your 2018 Explorer hood and brakes are already rusting??!!

TT

How do you like the Edge ST?

I've been eyeing them as a next vehicle, but I did the math and even with that 2.7 fully tuned, the weight is too close to an Explorer and won't produce as much power as the Explorer ST's 3.0 with a tune. It'd be somewhat close.

Yes the aluminum hoods on the 11-19 Explorers are prone to corrosion. There's a bunch of bubbling and aluminum oxide on the leading edge of my hood. The rear brakes are dragging so badly that my garage is filled with the smell of burning metal and the rear rotors/calipers are changing colors due to the heat. Apparently both are known issues with the 11-19 Explorers but I also live in Michigan with the extensive use of road salt during the winter.

• Like 1