2020 Explorer XLT Disappointments

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

Fusion?  You mean the one they cancelled because it wasn’t making enough profit?   

I'm sure the mere fact that the Fusion had full LED taillights didn't lead to its demise. Ford wants an all-SUV/Crossover lineup and it's not like they only canceled the Fusion. Fusion was one of the most popular sedans in recent history, and relatively highly rated and safe based on Consumer Reports ratings and NHTSA reports I've read over the years. Hell, I drove 4 of them myself! '08/'11/'14/'17

TT

15 minutes ago, metroplex said:

How do you like the Edge ST?

I've been eyeing them as a next vehicle, but I did the math and even with that 2.7 fully tuned, the weight is too close to an Explorer and won't produce as much power as the Explorer ST's 3.0 with a tune. It'd be somewhat close.

Yes the aluminum hoods on the 11-19 Explorers are prone to corrosion. There's a bunch of bubbling and aluminum oxide on the leading edge of my hood. The rear brakes are dragging so badly that my garage is filled with the smell of burning metal and the rear rotors/calipers are changing colors due to the heat. Apparently both are known issues with the 11-19 Explorers but I also live in Michigan with the extensive use of road salt during the winter.

I LOVE my Edge ST but do miss my Fusion in some respects. I would have bought it at the end of the lease and kept it in storage due to the low miles and how I optioned it out, but I couldn't justify that extra expense and don't need a 3rd car in the family. I do love the Explorer ST too but that is too much more car and expense than is necessary in our household. Whenever this Covid-19 winds down and I can, I'll be back in to replace the 2017 Explorer with another, but probably no higher than a Limited trim. My spouse likes the 2017 we have and wants to get into a similar package on the 2020. I will say I'll be glad when our 2017 is gone. We've already had to replace the tires and rear brakes, and the driver's side carpet has worn through where the winter mats don't cover. We live in Michigan too (GR) but are not hard on our vehicles and haven't had these issues on any Fords in the past. I hadn't heard about the rust and brakes issues before. Good to know!

TT

18 minutes ago, TobyTime said:

I'm sure the mere fact that the Fusion had full LED taillights didn't lead to its demise. Ford wants an all-SUV/Crossover lineup and it's not like they only canceled the Fusion. Fusion was one of the most popular sedans in recent history, and relatively highly rated and safe based on Consumer Reports ratings and NHTSA reports I've read over the years. Hell, I drove 4 of them myself! '08/'11/'14/'17

TT

I loved my 2013 Titanium also.  I was just pointing out that not including them was a conscious cost cutting effort.  Not that they forgot how to do them.  All those expensive touches on the Fusion platform became a problem when most people wanted dirt cheap SE models.

Aside from: engine oil pan leaks, sunroof glass flying off, 2 busted tires (1 bent rim) from potholes, driver/passenger door modules needing an update for the windows rolling down, driver's tweeter needing a good smack every morning to make it work, it's been a great car. The fitment is very good, only minor panel alignment issues. The doors close very very smoothly, smoothest I've had in any Ford. The electronic shocks and active noise cancellation make for a very quiet ride. The LED headlights need more light output though, and the LED foglights are worthless.

Edited by metroplex
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

I loved my 2013 Titanium also.  I was just pointing out that not including them was a conscious cost cutting effort.  Not that they forgot how to do them.  All those expensive touches on the Fusion platform became a problem when most people wanted dirt cheap SE models.

Gotcha. Yeah, in the sea of mundane Toyota/Honda/Nissan models with truly ugly, uninspired, and cheap trims dominating the road only because of things like reliability, I guess I'm not all that surprised. Unfortunately most drivers aren't concerned with bells AND whistles. Maybe a bell here OR a whistle there but that's about it. I'm just glad I got the 2017 I had before things changed so drastically at the blue oval. It was beautiful, and I hated getting rid of it but ultimately wanted something faster and higher off the ground, so compromises were made.
TT

7 minutes ago, metroplex said:

Aside from: engine oil pan leaks, sunroof glass flying off, 2 busted tires (1 bent rim) from potholes, driver/passenger door modules needing an update for the windows rolling down, driver's tweeter needing a good smack every morning to make it work, it's been a great car. The fitment is very good, only minor panel alignment issues. The doors close very very smoothly, smoothest I've had in any Ford. The electronic shocks and active noise cancellation make for a very quiet ride. The LED headlights need more light output though, and the LED foglights are worthless.

Dude! I'll consider myself lucky then! Sunroof glass flying off??? That alone would give me PTSD!

TT