All North America plants are shutting down (Ford, FCA and GM)

19 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

BTW Musk is fighting not to shut down Fremont. 

He fought a good fight, but lost. Alameda County officials forced shutdown of production lines at Tesla's Fremont plant earlier today. Maintenance, payroll, and other "basic functions" that are non-production are still allowed. https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/17/coronavirus-elon-musk-says-its-totally-ok-for-tesla-employees-to-work-from-home/?utm_source=webpush

Other automaker actions in North America.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They'll keep us closed for the bare minimum amount of time they can so I expect to be back at work on March 30 

I hope you are correct for the sake of employees and those affected (if virus spread has decreased to a sustainable level)...  But I wouldn’t count on it.  

Edited by 02MustangGT

In short term, new car sales will fall. Who is buying if you are not working? Don't know inventory, but even with same number of units, days of inventory will increase. Second factor is parts from China. Normal shipping time, about 4 weeks by sea. There could be several bubbles in supply pipeline. Can avoid with overtime in China and airfreight. That is costly. If demand is low, why spend? I'm sure some will be down longer than others. Let's hope everybody can keep safe, and will qualify for unemployment and SUB pay. 

7 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Good fight? You act like what he was doing was honorable.  The entire industry is shutting down and yet Elon thinks he can still make Teslas just because he’s Elon.  Pathetic really.

Pathetic, stupid and selfish.

• Like 1

if the whole country doesent shut down except for essentials whats the point in just some individual business? I see the speedway by my plant just hopping with business. I personally dont have a problem working,but understand others concerns. so either everyone or its gonna be ground hog day for the next 2 months.

10 minutes ago, jose said:

if the whole country doesent shut down except for essentials whats the point in just some individual business? I see the speedway by my plant just hopping with business. I personally dont have a problem working,but understand others concerns. so either everyone or its gonna be ground hog day for the next 2 months.

Normally I wouldn't either since I'm only 30 and I'm pretty good health but I have a pregnant wife to think about. 

• Like 1

We are in a recession now. Technically nobody is saying it but we are. In a year, people will be saying it started at the end of 2019. Corona virus has accelerated everything as well as oil crashing.

It sounds terrible but we need the whole country on lockdown for 3-4 weeks, maybe more. Just essentially services and food related. I don’t want to but it will lessen the deaths. By the end of this most of us will know someone who died. Not trying to negative but more of a realist here. 
I pray I’m wrong but everything is pointing to this. 

Stay safe folks!

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They'll keep us closed for the bare minimum amount of time they can so I expect to be back at work on March 30 

Exactly...….
Some of the Managers in my Department who are working from home don't even leave their offices all day and go on the floor. PERIOD....
They self quarantine at work.... So why should they be able to work from home.....

4 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Good fight? You act like what he was doing was honorable.  The entire industry is shutting down and yet Elon thinks he can still make Teslas just because he’s Elon.  Pathetic really.

Or you know, so his employees can keep working and get paid.

• Like 3

More shutdowns.

10 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

We are in a recession now. Technically nobody is saying it but we are. In a year, people will be saying it started at the end of 2019. Corona virus has accelerated everything as well as oil crashing.

It sounds terrible but we need the whole country on lockdown for 3-4 weeks, maybe more. Just essentially services and food related. I don’t want to but it will lessen the deaths. By the end of this most of us will know someone who died. Not trying to negative but more of a realist here. 
I pray I’m wrong but everything is pointing to this. 

Stay safe folks!

Absolutely right.  My kids are home for 3 weeks now for remote learning.  Frankly, they are not going back to school this year.  If we don't all shut down together for a month, it will be the same (worse) 3 weeks from now then today which means, there won't be school.  No point in shutting down some and not all.

San Francisco is under quarantine yet people were out running/jogging/walking..  on their scooters.  How enraging!!  People are not taking it seriously.

I don't even want stimulus money..  how about all credit cards, mortgages, loan payments be suspended for 3 months, tack it on to the back of the loan and close us down. No bills due, no income is much easier to get us through, especially with unemployment (temporary).

Anyways, I side tracked this enough.

As you said, be safe all.

Edited by blwnsmoke

16 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

The only obvious decision.  Automobile manufacturing is not essential industry and other non-essential industries should follow the same protocol.  Be prepared for an extended shut down.  

Forgetting the virus for a minute, the automobile industry IS essential for the economy!  That's why I get a kick out of mass transit propaganda.  How much of a percentage of motorists do they want to use mass transit?! When you start approaching 50 percent, the auto industry and the economy is gone!!  That means a lot of the new parts and tire supply chain, including manufacturing; warehousing; shipping etc. is needed less.  Now figure in down the road (pun intended) aftermarket and even used parts are needed less.  Less workers needed.  Figure in less road/pavement and bridge wear and tear and you don't need a lot of material suppliers like asphalt, concrete and steel and the workers making it, plus the construction workers assembling it!  Less accidents (admittedly a good thing) means less need for tow truck drivers, first responders, doctors, nurses.   Speaking of first responders, these auto companies --  especially Ford --  provide ambulance, police and fire rescue/light fast attack pumper vehicles. On another note, the autonomous vehicles industry wants to take a million tractor trailer drivers off the road!  What do you want them to do?  Oh maybe we could re-train them to be doctors to fight the next virus!  

8 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

Forgetting the virus for a minute, the automobile industry IS essential for the economy!  That's why I get a kick out of mass transit propaganda.  How much of a percentage of motorists do they want to use mass transit?! When you start approaching 50 percent, the auto industry and the economy is gone!!  That means a lot of the new parts and tire supply chain, including manufacturing; warehousing; shipping etc. is needed less.  Now figure in down the road (pun intended) aftermarket and even used parts are needed less.  Less workers needed.  Figure in less road/pavement and bridge wear and tear and you don't need a lot of material suppliers like asphalt, concrete and steel and the workers making it, plus the construction workers assembling it!  Less accidents (admittedly a good thing) means less need for tow truck drivers, first responders, doctors, nurses.   Speaking of first responders, these auto companies --  especially Ford --  provide ambulance, police and fire rescue/light fast attack pumper vehicles. On another note, the autonomous vehicles industry wants to take a million tractor trailer drivers off the road!  What do you want them to do?  Oh maybe we could re-train them to be doctors to fight the next virus!  

I disagree.  How many vehicles are on lots?  There is plenty for people to buy if they need one.  And how many people are buying $50,000 vehicles right now?  How many banks are loaning money?  How many people are committing to $500-$1,000 a month. My guess is very little.  

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Absolutely right.  My kids are home for 3 weeks now for remote learning.  Frankly, they are not going back to school this year.  If we don't all shut down together for a month, it will be the same (worse) 3 weeks from now then today which means, there won't be school.  No point in shutting down some and not all.

San Francisco is under quarantine yet people were out running/jogging/walking..  on their scooters.  How enraging!!  People are not taking it seriously.

I don't even want stimulus money..  how about all credit cards, mortgages, loan payments be suspended for 3 months, tack it on to the back of the loan and close us down. No bills due, no income is much easier to get us through, especially with unemployment (temporary).

Anyways, I side tracked this enough.

As you said, be safe all.

Great idea… So all of us that work for banks will be out of work, too. Millions work for banks, and most are ordinary folks like you. Those people who can make payments should continue to do so. We will work with those can't; we always do, for people who have through natural disasters, government shutdowns, and other things beyond their control.

• Like 1