All North America plants are shutting down (Ford, FCA and GM)

30 minutes ago, AGR said:

Great idea… So all of us that work for banks will be out of work, too. Millions work for banks, and most are ordinary folks like you. Those people who can make payments should continue to do so. We will work with those can't; we always do, for people who have through natural disasters, government shutdowns, and other things beyond their control.

I feel for those people whose jobs are on the line, and at the same I feel like there needs to be some accountability.

Either by letting some, perhaps the absolute worst-managed banks and businesses fail. Maybe only offering a very small amount of relief funding or insurance. I don't want people to lose their jobs but i don't want to continuously encourage risky and poor business management with guarranteed bailouts everytime the economy shits itself.

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

How many vehicles are on lots? 

Depends on the automaker.

Here are the automakers with the lowest inventory according to Wards.

• Subaru 37 days of supply
  • BMW 43
  • Mercedes-Benz 44
  • Jaguar Land-Rover 48

And the automakers with the most.

• Honda 83
  • Hyundai 87
  • Ford 95

60 days supply is considered optimum. But amid the Covid-19 panic including plant shutdowns going on now, companies like Ford that overproduced in previous months may be at an advantage.

I hope all this Covid crap can die down sooner than later. It’s an awful situation affecting many. Shutting down the plants was the right thing to do. I hope all of you stay safe. This is a bad year for this to happen in terms of being a contract year up here in Canada. I feel like we’re gonna get screwed over. No chance we get what you UAW guys get, not with all this uncertainty going on. Maybe I’m wrong. This covid situation is just unreal! 

32 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I hope all this Covid crap can die down sooner than later. It’s an awful situation affecting many. Shutting down the plants was the right thing to do. I hope all of you stay safe. This is a bad year for this to happen in terms of being a contract year up here in Canada. I feel like we’re gonna get screwed over. No chance we get what you UAW guys get, not with all this uncertainty going on. Maybe I’m wrong. This covid situation is just unreal! 

It's a contract year for you guys too right? Maybe Jerry can somehow use that for leverage. 

2 hours ago, AGR said:

Great idea… So all of us that work for banks will be out of work, too. Millions work for banks, and most are ordinary folks like you. Those people who can make payments should continue to do so. We will work with those can't; we always do, for people who have through natural disasters, government shutdowns, and other things beyond their control.

Why would you be out of work?  I just called my credit union, they are offering all vehicle loan customers 6 months no payments.  If they can do it (non profit), these huge corporations (banks) taking in billions in profits can do it too.  A few months of delayed payments when it is added to the end of the loan is not going to close banks.  It isn't like we are asking for the loan to go away.

The taxpayers bailed out all these slimy banks several years ago, there is zero reason they can't help by delaying payments.

PS, Gov of NY just issued all mortgages and interest be deferred hauling payments.  I expect more to follow.

My wife just said, why defer if we can pay.  My response was, you are absolutely right and we will pay BUT we need to prepare.  Don't think about 2 weeks from now, think 6 months from now if it doesnt improve and that's why we need to prepare now.

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Absolutely right.  My kids are home for 3 weeks now for remote learning.  Frankly, they are not going back to school this year.  If we don't all shut down together for a month, it will be the same (worse) 3 weeks from now then today which means, there won't be school.  No point in shutting down some and not all.

San Francisco is under quarantine yet people were out running/jogging/walking..  on their scooters.  How enraging!!  People are not taking it seriously.

I don't even want stimulus money..  how about all credit cards, mortgages, loan payments be suspended for 3 months, tack it on to the back of the loan and close us down. No bills due, no income is much easier to get us through, especially with unemployment (temporary).

Anyways, I side tracked this enough.

As you said, be safe all.

Isn't the point of quarantining to stay away from other people?  Not to just lock people away for no reason.  If you're out running/jogging/walking by yourself, is it really that big of a deal?

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Depends on the automaker.

Here are the automakers with the lowest inventory according to Wards.

• Subaru 37 days of supply
  • BMW 43
  • Mercedes-Benz 44
  • Jaguar Land-Rover 48

And the automakers with the most.

• Honda 83
  • Hyundai 87
  • Ford 95

60 days supply is considered optimum. But amid the Covid-19 panic including plant shutdowns going on now, companies like Ford that overproduced in previous months may be at an advantage.

Doesn't Ford traditionally have a higher days' supply intentionally because of the trucks?

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Isn't the point of quarantining to stay away from other people?  Not to just lock people away for no reason.  If you're out running/jogging/walking by yourself, is it really that big of a deal?

Doesn't Ford traditionally have a higher days' supply intentionally because of the trucks?

So you think this is ok?  People holding hands, running/jogging next to each other, breathing heavy, sweating?

And no, quarantining is keeping you separate from everyone else.. staying home unless you have to buy some necessities.  It is not going for a stroll down the coast, riding your scooter around or going for walks on a nice sunny day.  STAY HOME!

And let's not talk about these moron spring breakers....

20200317_202813.jpg

Screenshot_20200319-123308_Chrome.jpg

21 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Why would you be out of work?  I just called my credit union, they are offering all vehicle loan customers 6 months no payments.  If they can do it (non profit), these huge corporations (banks) taking in billions in profits can do it too.  A few months of delayed payments when it is added to the end of the loan is not going to close banks.  It isn't like we are asking for the loan to go away.

The taxpayers bailed out all these slimy banks several years ago, there is zero reason they can't help by delaying payments.

PS, Gov of NY just issued all mortgages and interest be deferred hauling payments.  I expect more to follow.

My wife just said, why defer if we can pay.  My response was, you are absolutely right and we will pay BUT we need to prepare.  Don't think about 2 weeks from now, think 6 months from now if it doesnt improve and that's why we need to prepare now.

Well, when you work in the department that pertains to payments...

And, you apparently ignored the part about us helping mortgage holders in need. In the past, we've deferred payments for hurricanes, wildfires, other natural disasters, and the government shutdown. Deferring payments for folks caught up in this won't be a problem. But those who can make payments should make payments.  As for the bailouts, it was only fair that the government bail out the "slimy" (as you call them) banks.  Them forcing us to make loans to marginal buyers is what precipitated much of the problems in the first place.

24 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

So you think this is ok?  People holding hands, running/jogging next to each other, breathing heavy, sweating?

And no, quarantining is keeping you separate from everyone else.. staying home unless you have to buy some necessities.  It is not going for a stroll down the coast, riding your scooter around or going for walks on a nice sunny day.  STAY HOME!

20200317_202813.jpg

I just watched a video this morning of a doctor recommending people go outside, get some sunshine and vitamin D, rather then sit inside and go stir-crazy. The people in your picture look like they could be a couple anyway, so I don't really see why they shouldn't go out for a walk together.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yes, to a certain extent. But the main reason Ford traditionally has high inventory levels is that Ford's standard operating procedure is to produce beyond actual customer demand, pressure dealers to accept the surplus, and then start pushing large financial incentives to both dealers (floorplan assistance) and customers (rebates).

In recent years, Ford sometimes overproduced so much that dealers actually stopped accepting extra vehicles, which had to be stored in overflow lots.

1FORDS-06_i.jpg

5 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

In recent years, Ford sometimes overproduced so much that dealers actually stopped accepting extra vehicles, which had to be stored in overflow lots.

How big do you think the lots at the plants are? Even a 30 day supply would force them to use overflow lots. 

29 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes, to a certain extent. But the main reason Ford traditionally has high inventory levels is that Ford's standard operating procedure is to produce beyond actual customer demand, pressure dealers to accept the surplus, and then start pushing large financial incentives to both dealers (floorplan assistance) and customers (rebates).

1FORDS-06_i.jpg

Didn't this board used to shit on Chevy or Dodge for forcing excess, unwanted vehicles on dealers?  It might have just been a couple people but I do remember that being a take.

Not that it matters what we think; It certainly looks like a smart move that has paid out for Ford now.

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

But everybody is not quarantined or under house arrest, just socially distant.   Stay 10 feet away and you're fine.

Spring breakers is a totally different and stupid matter.

10 minutes ago, probowler said:

Didn't this board used to shit on Chevy or Dodge for forcing excess, unwanted vehicles on dealers?  It might have just been a couple people but I do remember that being a take.

Ford doesn't do that as a routine business practice.  Rperez likes to exaggerate.  They have done it in specific cases.   Remember Dean bitching about not being able to get enough vehicles?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

20200317_202813.jpg

Screenshot_20200319-123308_Chrome.jpg

I'm with akirby on this one - those two in the foreground look to be a couple, everyone else in the background is at a distance from one another or appears to be coupled (the two in the background between the foreground couple).

As he said, the spring breakers is different.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

But everybody is not quarantined or under house arrest, just socially distant.   Stay 10 feet away and you're fine.

Spring breakers is a totally different and stupid matter.

San francisco is.  Yet people are completely ignoring it in San Fran which is why the media is talking about it.  That's the problem!!  People just don't care about others.

Screenshot_20200319-170144_Chrome.jpg

Subaru is the latest automaker to suspend production in the U.S. SIA plant in Lafayette, Indiana will shut down March 23-29. http://www.subaru-sia.com/

Also, update from Toyota. They are extending their production suspension until April 3. Production expected to resume April 6. https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-extends-production-suspension-at-all-plants-until-april-3/

Edited by rperez817

22 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

We are in a recession now. Technically nobody is saying it but we are. In a year, people will be saying it started at the end of 2019. Corona virus has accelerated everything as well as oil crashing.

It sounds terrible but we need the whole country on lockdown for 3-4 weeks, maybe more. Just essentially services and food related. I don’t want to but it will lessen the deaths. By the end of this most of us will know someone who died. Not trying to negative but more of a realist here. 
I pray I’m wrong but everything is pointing to this. 

Stay safe folks!

Oh this is going to cause a huge recession and there's Ford with barely any affordable vehicles to sell in their largest market. Ouch.

Ford has high inventory right now for a number of reasons some seasonal, some just because of their business model. It is over building Fusion and F150 to make sure dealers have more inventory during plant shutdowns for model switch overs, it is going into the summer selling season when sales are stronger and dealers need inventory, it also carries a lot of inventory because of the customization of orders of trucks and vans. How this impacts the switch over of models is going to be interesting.  2021 and some 2022 job 1 dates may be pushed 1 to 4 weeks depending on length of shut down and ability to make up production. 

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

Ford has high inventory right now for a number of reasons some seasonal, some just because of their business model. It is over building Fusion and F150 to make sure dealers have more inventory during plant shutdowns for model switch overs, it is going into the summer selling season when sales are stronger and dealers need inventory, it also carries a lot of inventory because of the customization of orders of trucks and vans. How this impacts the switch over of models is going to be interesting.  2021 and some 2022 job 1 dates may be pushed 1 to 4 weeks depending on length of shut down and ability to make up production. 

I think we've been overbuilding Rangers a bit because of expected slowdowns later this year related to the Bronco launch. I don't know that to be 100% true, that's just me speculating based on my own logical reasoning.