All North America plants are shutting down (Ford, FCA and GM)

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'm with akirby on this one - those two in the foreground look to be a couple, everyone else in the background is at a distance from one another or appears to be coupled (the two in the background between the foreground couple).

As he said, the spring breakers is different.

Yes, I am confused about why one can't go outside if they stay at least 10 feet away from non household members.   Politico had an article today about the Senate head of the intelligence telling a group in early February that this Covd B was super contagious and like nothing seen since 1918.   Yet this was before Trump said it would go to zero in a week or two, 2 weeks after the senator told the group about this.   And guidance has been that if you stay 6 feet away from others and don't touch anything - or your face that it wouldn't be transmitted.    Yet my employer was working all last week on a work from home plan as if they knew what was coming before Trump did.         I guess I am wonder 1. How do some know the truth?    2.  And what is the truth about how COVD B is spread?  https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19

Edited by Fordowner

Further to the point - after a Senate Briefing on Jan 24 my Georgia Senator started dumping her stock - that is almost 2 months ago!   Maybe she should have focused on getting testing equipment/kits for her constituents instead of going along with the downplaying of the risks while liquidating her positions.  

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-kelly-loeffler-dumped-millions-in-stock-after-coronavirus-briefing

The Senate’s newest member sold off seven figures worth of stock holdings in the days and weeks after a private, all-senators meeting on the novel coronavirus that subsequently hammered U.S. equities.

Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) reported the first sale of stock jointly owned by her and her husband on Jan. 24, the very day that her committee, the Senate Health Committee, hosted a private, all-senators briefing from administration officials, including the CDC director and Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institutes of Health of the United States, on the coronavirus. 

12 hours ago, probowler said:

Tesla is about to be the number one selling automaker in America next month; They're still only going to sell 500 vehicles, but they'll be number one GOD DAMNIT

Update for Tesla: Production lines at the Fremont plant shut down starting March 24. It's not known when production will resume. Tesla already sent home 75% of that plant's employees earlier this week. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-factory-coronavirus-shutdown-march-24/

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Update for Tesla: Production lines at the Fremont plant shut down starting March 24. It's not known when production will resume. Tesla already sent home 75% of that plant's employees earlier this week. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-factory-coronavirus-shutdown-march-24/

What kind of stupid response is this?

"Today’s update reinforces the company’s goal to comply with local mandates."  

Your goal is to comply?  Your goal?  How about you always comply with mandates period.

Good job Tesla looking out for your employees over your lack of profit.  NOT.

Edited by blwnsmoke

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

What kind of stupid response is this?

"Today’s update reinforces the company’s goal to comply with local mandates."  

Not stupid at all. Over the past week, there was conflicting info from federal, state, and regional/municipal governments concerning the operation of Tesla's Fremont plant. These have been clarified, and as mentioned earlier, production is suspended at that plant starting March 24.

25 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Not stupid at all. Over the past week, there was conflicting info from federal, state, and regional/municipal governments concerning the operation of Tesla's Fremont plant. These have been clarified, and as mentioned earlier, production is suspended at that plant starting March 24.

In no way shape or form is Tesla an "essential" business.  So yes, it is a stupid comment.  Musk should have shut down when he was told to.  And why is he going till the 24?  Just to build more cars!!  Again, not worried about the employees, just concerned about him trying to make numbers.

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

In no way shape or form is Tesla an "essential" business.  So yes, it is a stupid comment.  Musk should have shut down when he was told to.  And why is he going till the 24?  Just to build more cars!!  Again, not worried about the employees, just concerned about him trying to make numbers.

He's building because he needs cash flow more than any other manufacture. Ford and GM could last 5-6 months before they run out of cash at 0 sales. Tesla can't last 2 months, If anything forces Tesla to file for bankruptcy it will be Covid-19, this could not have come at a worse time for them, had they not done the capital raise in Jan it would even be more bleak.

Edited by jasonj80

17 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

He's building because he needs cash flow more than any other manufacture. Ford and GM could last 5-6 months before they run out of cash at 0 sales. Tesla can't last 2 months, If anything forces Tesla to file for bankruptcy it will be Covid-19, this could not have come at a worse time for them, had they not done the capital raise in Jan it would even be more bleak.

Completely agree and I knew exactly why he was doing it.  Just goes to show how unstable Tesla is.  $800+ stock price a few weeks ago, now in the $400s.  They use deposits to keep their business going.  As many have said, ponzi scheme pure and simple.

Will be really interesting to see what happens if this goes on for 4-6 months.

Nationwide quarantine will happen in the next week once they announce the stimulus package so people don't freak completely.

Just like gamestop (remaining open because they claim they are essential)....  only because of their survival depends on it.. F the employees health and safety.

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Nationwide quarantine will happen in the next week once they announce the stimulus package so people don't freak completely.

Credible source?  Or opinion?   I disagree unless your interpretation of “quarantine” is equal or similar to what NY Governor announced today.  

Updates as of March 20 from European automakers with U.S. plants.

Kia Motor Manufacturing Georgia suspended production yesterday and today due to "supply chain issues", but will resume production March 23. https://www.wtvm.com/2020/03/19/kia-motors-manufacturing-west-point-temporarily-suspend-production-due-supply-chain-issue/

Summary of U.S. light vehicle assembly plants production status next week, by manufacturer as of 12 PM CDT, March 20, 2020.

• BMW (Spartanburg): operational
  • Daimler (MBUSI): operational
  • FCA: suspended
  • Ford: suspended
  • General Motors: suspended
  • Honda: suspended
  • Hyundai (HMMA): suspended
  • Kia (KMMG): operational
  • Nissan: suspended
  • Subaru (SIA): suspended
  • Tesla: suspended
  • Toyota: suspended
  • Volkswagen (Chattanooga): suspended
  • Volvo (Ridgeville): suspended
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Credible source?  Or opinion?   I disagree unless your interpretation of “quarantine” is equal or similar to what NY Governor announced today.  

Quarantine will be State by State. There is no realistic way to enforce it at the Federal level. Now of course the Feds could tell the States you all have to do this and most would comply. So yes you could have a nationwide quarantine, but it would be enforced by the States. I hope we don't get to that point, but who knows.

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

Quarantine will be State by State. There is no realistic way to enforce it at the Federal level. Now of course the Feds could tell the States you all have to do this and most would comply. So yes you could have a nationwide quarantine, but it would be enforced by the States. I hope we don't get to that point, but who knows.

There's really no way to realistically enforce it at the state level. And don't say National Guard either. If you think the guard is large enough to enforce it, then you are severely overestimating how large it is. 

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

There's really no way to realistically enforce it at the state level. And don't say National Guard either. If you think the guard is large enough to enforce it, then you are severely overestimating how large it is. 

You also have to consider that the number of actual Military Police and infantry is only a fraction of the entire National guard.  The rest is your office workers, equipment maintainers, medical personnel, etc.

If shit really hit the fan they could hand out rifles, but you're not getting a huge elite fighting force.

3 minutes ago, probowler said:

You also have to consider that the number of actual Military Police and infantry is only a fraction of the entire National guard.  The rest is your office workers, equipment maintainers, medical personnel, etc.

If shit really hit the fan they could hand out rifles, but you're not getting a huge elite fighting force.

A good friend of mine was in the Michigan national guard. Actually did a tour in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:48 PM, rperez817 said:
  • BMW (Spartanburg): operational
  • Daimler (MBUSI): operational

Update as of March 21. Both plants announced shutdowns in the past 24 hours.

As of March 21, all U.S. light vehicle assembly plants (mass produced passenger cars and light trucks) at all automakers have shut down production lines or are planning to do so within the next couple weeks. As mentioned earlier in this thread, supply chain constraints caused a shutdown at the Kia KMMG plant earlier in the week, but plant managers said that was temporary and the Kia KMMG plant will resume operation on March 23. Remains to be seen whether or not that happens.

Edited by rperez817

Question for someone in the know.   I ordered a new Ranger on 3/11/2020. The Nebraska based Dealer said 6 to 8 weeks delivery.  Then COVID 19 hits and plants shut down.  Plants are estimated to be shut down for 2 weeks.

How long does it take a plant to restart?  Is production actually going to be interrupted for more than 2 weeks?  Obviously, all these time frames are fluid due to the nature of this pandemic.

Thanks!!

On 3/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, Fordowner said:

Further to the point - after a Senate Briefing on Jan 24 my Georgia Senator started dumping her stock - that is almost 2 months ago!   Maybe she should have focused on getting testing equipment/kits for her constituents instead of going along with the downplaying of the risks while liquidating her positions.  

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-kelly-loeffler-dumped-millions-in-stock-after-coronavirus-briefing

The Senate’s newest member sold off seven figures worth of stock holdings in the days and weeks after a private, all-senators meeting on the novel coronavirus that subsequently hammered U.S. equities.

Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) reported the first sale of stock jointly owned by her and her husband on Jan. 24, the very day that her committee, the Senate Health Committee, hosted a private, all-senators briefing from administration officials, including the CDC director and Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institutes of Health of the United States, on the coronavirus. 

BTW, you may want to check out where Loeffler was before becoming a senator. I would also google her husbands name and see what he does. You might find that interesting.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:13 AM, blwnsmoke said:

I disagree.  How many vehicles are on lots?  There is plenty for people to buy if they need one.  And how many people are buying $50,000 vehicles right now?  How many banks are loaning money?  How many people are committing to $500-$1,000 a month. My guess is very little.  

Since you brought it up first, you're right!  Actually ALL the car companies could stop manufacturing cars for probably a year and ALL the needs of buyers for new and used cars could still be filled!  There are millions of cars sitting and rotting at airports and anywhere they can find to park them!  Why?  Because the alternative is millions of workers would be unable to feed their families! See anything wrong with capitalism yet?  And this goes for construction equipment, heavy trucks, boats, buses, aircraft!  Boeing is pumping out jets faster than the airlines need them!  Electric Boat is pumping out submarines by the dozens!  How many do we need?  Don't shoot me!  I'm just the messenger!  These tree companies want to cut down every tree in the world in the name of safety!!  Why?  So they can eat!!  They have 30 foot rules for cutting down trees near power lines and roads. And by the way, trees take in CO2!  So blame the tree cutters for climate change, IF it really does exist and if it does, there's NOTHING you and I are going to be able to do to stop it!! So when they're done with those trees, they'll want to make it 60 feet!!  Cortez from New York wants free college and medical.  How about starting with the basics like free food and housing!!??  I could make this an hour, but the one sticky point is incentive.  But there's two sides to it.  First the good side is no more illegal drug dealers on the street of our cities!  What would their incentive be?  No more money being transferred!  Same for pharmaceuticals bribing doctors!  No more of that!  The bad side?  Would there be enough people who would want to be doctors without getting paid?  I don't know, but I do know this:  The only way we will ever be able to fully explore space is when MONEY IS NO OBJECT!  That's the underlying theme of Star Trek.  And did you ever hear the saying "money is the root of all evil?"  (Or should it be evil"?)  I've always wondered about that!  But anyway!  As Brad Delp sang in the Boston song PEACE OF MIND, "Take a look ahead."   Listen closely to the lyrics of that song!  We're all killing ourselves for the almighty dollar!   How do you like them apples?           

On 3/21/2020 at 4:00 PM, Husker Fan said:

Question for someone in the know.   I ordered a new Ranger on 3/11/2020. The Nebraska based Dealer said 6 to 8 weeks delivery.  Then COVID 19 hits and plants shut down.  Plants are estimated to be shut down for 2 weeks.

How long does it take a plant to restart?  Is production actually going to be interrupted for more than 2 weeks?  Obviously, all these time frames are fluid due to the nature of this pandemic.

Thanks!!

We pick up literally right where we left off. Same as Monday morning, we pick up right where we left off Friday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

Since you brought it up first, you're right!  Actually ALL the car companies could stop manufacturing cars for probably a year and ALL the needs of buyers for new and used cars could still be filled!  There are millions of cars sitting and rotting at airports and anywhere they can find to park them!  Why?  Because the alternative is millions of workers would be unable to feed their families! See anything wrong with capitalism yet?  And this goes for construction equipment, heavy trucks, boats, buses, aircraft!  Boeing is pumping out jets faster than the airlines need them!  Electric Boat is pumping out submarines by the dozens!  How many do we need?  Don't shoot me!  I'm just the messenger!  These tree companies want to cut down every tree in the world in the name of safety!!  Why?  So they can eat!!  They have 30 foot rules for cutting down trees near power lines and roads. And by the way, trees take in CO2!  So blame the tree cutters for climate change, IF it really does exist and if it does, there's NOTHING you and I are going to be able to do to stop it!! So when they're done with those trees, they'll want to make it 60 feet!!  Cortez from New York wants free college and medical.  How about starting with the basics like free food and housing!!??  I could make this an hour, but the one sticky point is incentive.  But there's two sides to it.  First the good side is no more illegal drug dealers on the street of our cities!  What would their incentive be?  No more money being transferred!  Same for pharmaceuticals bribing doctors!  No more of that!  The bad side?  Would there be enough people who would want to be doctors without getting paid?  I don't know, but I do know this:  The only way we will ever be able to fully explore space is when MONEY IS NO OBJECT!  That's the underlying theme of Star Trek.  And did you ever hear the saying "money is the root of all evil?"  (Or should it be evil"?)  I've always wondered about that!  But anyway!  As Brad Delp sang in the Boston song PEACE OF MIND, "Take a look ahead."   Listen closely to the lyrics of that song!  We're all killing ourselves for the almighty dollar!   How do you like them apples?           

Stopped reading about 1/4 of the way through.  We are not talking a year.  We are talking 2-4 weeks is all that is needed and there is 2 months supply on hand.  A month should not destroy a household and if it does, that is pour planning on their part financially.

• Like 2