Explorer ST Pirelli Scorpion Zero Tires

At only 3100 miles, I got a drywall screw in the inner shoulder of the tire which of course can never be repaired. NTB ordered a new one for me for 313.99 and it was received in 4 days. When they unpacked the tire and saw the foam insulation inside, they told me these tires can never be plugged/repaired by them. You have to buy a new tire every time it gets punctured! I'm thinking because of the special order status of this tire size and that it can't repaired, it may be smart to purchase a spare and have on hand at home for emergencies!

2 hours ago, hbalek said:
At only 3100 miles, I got a drywall screw in the inner shoulder of the tire which of course can never be repaired. NTB ordered a new one for me for 313.99 and it was received in 4 days. When they unpacked the tire and saw the foam insulation inside, they told me these tires can never be plugged/repaired by them. You have to buy a new tire every time it gets punctured! I'm thinking because of the special order status of this tire size and that it can't repaired, it may be smart to purchase a spare and have on hand at home for emergencies!

Hi hbalek. Are your tires run-flats? It will state "Runflat" on the sidewall.  If they are, that is correct and they can not be repaired.

If they are not run-flats, they can be repaired.

Good luck.

37 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi hbalek. Are your tires run-flats? It will state "Runflat" on the sidewall.  If they are, that is correct and they can not be repaired.

If they are not run-flats, they can be repaired.

Good luck.

Nope.  Can’t repair punctures that are too close to the shoulder.  

I guess both apply to this tire, the screw was near the edge of tread on the shoulder and also it has a foam lining called PNCS which makes it unrepairable.  Luckily according to the Pirelli warranty PNCS and run-flat tires have road hazard coverage for a year because I didn't purchase additional warranty. My NTB dealer copied the warranty information and is submitting a warranty claim with Pirelli.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Nope.  Can’t repair punctures that are too close to the shoulder.  

Oh jeez Allen...don't make me work harder than I need to. Sometimes I think we have just met. Once again, "What we have here...is a failure to communicate".  ?

I am not referring to his already punctured tire. Of course a tire with a sidewall puncture (and in the tread within ~1"-2" of the sidewall) can not be repaired. I am referring to what he was told by the tire rep about the new tire he had just purchased, "When they unpacked the tire and saw the foam insulation inside, they told me these tires can never be plugged/repaired by them. You have to buy a new tire every time it gets punctured!", and run-flat versus non run flat tires in general.

Simply letting him know that run-flat tires can not be repaired according to Pirelli guidelines. But a conventional tire can. So he just needs to be sure his are run-flats and/or he was given the correct information about his particular tires.

Good luck old buddy. ?

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Oh jeez Allen...don't make me work harder than I need to. Sometimes I think we have just met. Once again, "What we have here...is a failure to communicate".  ?

I am not referring to his already punctured tire. Of course a tire with a sidewall puncture (and in the tread within ~1"-2" of the sidewall) can not be repaired. I am referring to what he was told by the tire rep about the new tire he had just purchased, "When they unpacked the tire and saw the foam insulation inside, they told me these tires can never be plugged/repaired by them. You have to buy a new tire every time it gets punctured!", and run-flat versus non run flat tires in general.

Simply letting him know that run-flat tires can not be repaired according to Pirelli guidelines. But a conventional tire can. So he just needs to be sure his are run-flats and/or he was given the correct information about his particular tires.

Good luck old buddy. ?

Just trying to clarify, old buddy.  :)

• Like 1