1500 Miles In - Thoughts So Far

Let me start by saying, I really like this vehicle a lot. However, I will probably be talking a lot about the things I don't like so much or am not so sure about. Not trying to bash, sorry! Just like talking about any of the little things that might be able to be improved or the like.

Liking:

- Looks in general. I did some customizing and love the look overall. I chose the Chalet interior and am really pleased that I did.
- Super spacious inside. Very glad we chose the 2nd row bench. Very soft leather and comfortable seats all the way around.

- Awesome highway cruiser--great road trip car.

- Great HUD--tons of information and looks great.
- Sound system is great at higher volumes (underwhelming at lower volumes).
- Love having the seat controls on the doors like Mercedes.
- Heated and cooled seats are really nice and work well.
- Love all the storage, compartments, etc.
- Panoramic roof, great as always.

Not so sure/dislikes: (Again, just lots of random stuff ... most of it is no big deal at all)

- A bit of a choppy ride in town on road imperfections. My tires are slightly overinflated now, so I will see when they're more properly inflated at another time. With 22s what can you expect I guess?

- Too much piano black and shiny chrome trim on the interior. (I do find the interior very nice though)
- Front cupholders a bit small. Would like some rear cupholders somewhere other than the floor (downside to the 2nd row bench).

- Cheap buttons on rear console for control of audio etc.
- If I don't wait a while to plug in my phone via USB after starting, CarPlay won't work. Seems to be some confusion if car is also connecting via Bluetooth. (have had this issue on other cars as well)

- I don't like how when you scroll from page to page to a new set of presets on the radio that the channel changes. Seems like it should stay on the same channel even if you swipe to a new set of 6 presets.
- Doesn't make sense that the whole screen is taken over when you change the volume.

- Heated steering wheel doesn't seem to get as hot as I'd like.

- Rear camera should utilize more space on the center stack screen. Quality of camera just OK too.

- Would appreciate the LKA to be a bit more active.

- Massaging seats just OK. Better than nothing. (Our Volvo are best in the biz imho)
- Rear wiper is teeny tiny (not sure it could be larger however).

I may add more over time ... really enjoying this Navigator. Smooth and comfortable overall!

Nav Front Quarter.jpg

Nav Rear Quarter.jpg

Nav Side 4.jpg

Congrats on the ride- I have a similar setup.  The 22's certainly shudder over rough roads, drive the same truck with 20's and it's much smoother.  Our escalade was much rougher though.  I love the interior- I really wouldn't change anything.  The one major glaring issue is the infotainment system.  It sucks.  I guess if you have only had Fords/Lincolns in the past you are used to it, but for those of us who have had just about any other brand it's horrible.  Why can't you have more than 6 presets on that huge screen- you literally have to switch a screen and radio station to get to more presets- that's absurd.  And why can't you have FM and XM mixed together on the same preset screen?  The volume thing is dumb too.  And whenever I'm in CarPlay and the massaging seats go off or something it goes to the seat screen and stays there.  I think whoever designed it is a lifetime Ford'er and has never been in another vehicle.

8 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Let me start by saying, I really like this vehicle a lot. However, I will probably be talking a lot about the things I don't like so much or am not so sure about. Not trying to bash, sorry! Just like talking about any of the little things that might be able to be improved or the like.

Liking:

- Looks in general. I did some customizing and love the look overall. I chose the Chalet interior and am really pleased that I did.
- Super spacious inside. Very glad we chose the 2nd row bench. Very soft leather and comfortable seats all the way around.

- Awesome highway cruiser--great road trip car.

- Great HUD--tons of information and looks great.
- Sound system is great at higher volumes (underwhelming at lower volumes).
- Love having the seat controls on the doors like Mercedes.
- Heated and cooled seats are really nice and work well.
- Love all the storage, compartments, etc.
- Panoramic roof, great as always.

Not so sure/dislikes: (Again, just lots of random stuff ... most of it is no big deal at all)

- A bit of a choppy ride in town on road imperfections. My tires are slightly overinflated now, so I will see when they're more properly inflated at another time. With 22s what can you expect I guess?

- Too much piano black and shiny chrome trim on the interior. (I do find the interior very nice though)
- Front cupholders a bit small. Would like some rear cupholders somewhere other than the floor (downside to the 2nd row bench).

- Cheap buttons on rear console for control of audio etc.
- If I don't wait a while to plug in my phone via USB after starting, CarPlay won't work. Seems to be some confusion if car is also connecting via Bluetooth. (have had this issue on other cars as well)

- I don't like how when you scroll from page to page to a new set of presets on the radio that the channel changes. Seems like it should stay on the same channel even if you swipe to a new set of 6 presets.
- Doesn't make sense that the whole screen is taken over when you change the volume.

- Heated steering wheel doesn't seem to get as hot as I'd like.

- Rear camera should utilize more space on the center stack screen. Quality of camera just OK too.

- Would appreciate the LKA to be a bit more active.

- Massaging seats just OK. Better than nothing. (Our Volvo are best in the biz imho)
- Rear wiper is teeny tiny (not sure it could be larger however).

I may add more over time ... really enjoying this Navigator. Smooth and comfortable overall!

Nav Front Quarter.jpg

Nav Rear Quarter.jpg

Nav Side 4.jpg

I’ve read some owners have successfully used FORScan to make the steering wheel hotter, this has been a common complaint.  The volume indicator on the entire screen is dumb, my ears do a better job than my eyes of telling me how loud it is getting.

I suggest keeping a microfiber cloth in your center console for the piano black and chrome surfaces, I wipe mine daily.  They look good but show the smallest amount of dust...it doesn’t help that I obsess over things like that.

comfort on a long road trip can not be stated enough!  I’ve done a few 300 mile plus drives and 2 500 mile drives. Omg period of seated times are a breeze and the vehicle rides so well.

You may want to drop a pound or two of air out of your tires to soften the ride, I’ve found that 37 is pretty nice but YMMV.

For the radio presets, what is the menu like through the steering wheel?  I don’t use the terrestrial radio but the XM allows me to scroll through all the stations.  I guess this doesn’t help if you want to surf instead of picking one specific preset.

Edited by boredinbirmingham

Doesn't the heated steering wheel system activate according to interior temperature? So, if the cabin is warm, it will cycle on and off enough to not seem very hot? 

I have not gotten in my Navigator yet when it was completely cold and then turned on the steering wheel heat. I suspect it would get to what would seem to be very hot since the surrounding air and everything else would be very cold. 

12 hours ago, Emilner said:

Congrats on the ride- I have a similar setup.  The 22's certainly shudder over rough roads, drive the same truck with 20's and it's much smoother.  Our escalade was much rougher though.  I love the interior- I really wouldn't change anything.  The one major glaring issue is the infotainment system.  It sucks.  I guess if you have only had Fords/Lincolns in the past you are used to it, but for those of us who have had just about any other brand it's horrible.  Why can't you have more than 6 presets on that huge screen- you literally have to switch a screen and radio station to get to more presets- that's absurd.  And why can't you have FM and XM mixed together on the same preset screen?  The volume thing is dumb too.  And whenever I'm in CarPlay and the massaging seats go off or something it goes to the seat screen and stays there.  I think whoever designed it is a lifetime Ford'er and has never been in another vehicle.

Yes, all of the radio stuff is less than ideal, but honestly I'm almost always listening to podcasts or music off of my phone so I don't interact with it so much.

10 hours ago, Black Label said:

@Husker4theSpurs, what do you mean with respect to the rear camera? 

I feel like as large as the middle infotainment screen is, the actual size of the reverse cam image when it takes over the screen (which also having 360 camera on) could be better utilized and or larger overall. And the quality isn't as good as a lot of other cars I've owned.

7 hours ago, Black Label said:

Doesn't the heated steering wheel system activate according to interior temperature? So, if the cabin is warm, it will cycle on and off enough to not seem very hot? 

I have not gotten in my Navigator yet when it was completely cold and then turned on the steering wheel heat. I suspect it would get to what would seem to be very hot since the surrounding air and everything else would be very cold. 

My Jeep Wrangler has one heated steering wheel level and it's really toasty. Our Volvo is much warmer as well. Even our minivan that this car replaced had a warmer steering wheel. Oh well ... first world problems, especially all things considered right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I feel like as large as the middle infotainment screen is, the actual size of the reverse cam image when it takes over the screen (which also having 360 camera on) could be better utilized and or larger overall. And the quality isn't as good as a lot of other cars I've owned.

Ah, okay, gotcha. I have gone mostly to full screen for the reverse camera. As I have said, I come from a 2008 Expedition, so it seems big to me lol. 

2 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

My Jeep Wrangler has one heated steering wheel level and it's really toasty. Our Volvo is much warmer as well. Even our minivan that this car replaced had a warmer steering wheel. Oh well ... first world problems, especially all things considered right now.

Mine has been sitting outside all day in the cold weather. Have to run out soon for a quick drive. Will see if it feels warmer to me getting into a cold vehicle. 

1 minute ago, Black Label said:

Ah, okay, gotcha. I have gone mostly to full screen for the reverse camera. As I have said, I come from a 2008 Expedition, so it seems big to me lol. 

I like to have both of them on there so I don't hit anything on the sides ... still adjusting to the size of this thing :)

• Like 1

So, had to go for a drive. Steering wheel, to me, definitely felt warmer until the cabin began to warm up. The seats...wow! I had to turn them down after about 5 minutes. It's snowed here all day. Used "Slippery" mode. Handled like a dream. Also, first opportunity to see how the rain sensing wipers worked. (Again, coming from an old vehicle). Worked great. 

All in all an awesome vehicle. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 11:49 AM, Black Label said:

@boredinbirmingham, can you explain the steering wheel thing? I do agree it is not very hot. I actually drove a rental Expedition from Buffalo to Chicago 2 nights ago. Same thing, obviously, steering wheel is just warm. I'm sure there is a good reason for it. 

FORScan uses a single plugged into your OBD plug and allows you via laptop computer to change the programming on various azpects of the vehicle.  For instance, you can turn off the double honk when exiting the the running vehicle with a key or permanently disable the auto start stop.  There is also a setting for the max temp setting for the heated wheel.  Check the f150 or expedition forums for more info.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boredinbirmingham said:

FORScan uses a single plugged into your OBD plug and allows you via laptop computer to change the programming on various azpects of the vehicle.  For instance, you can turn off the double honk when exiting the the running vehicle with a key or permanently disable the auto start stop.  There is also a setting for the max temp setting for the heated wheel.  Check the f150 or expedition forums for more info.

I did check out some of those. Haven't found what is considered to be a safe temp to increase to on the steering wheel to avoid overheating. Have you done this?

3 minutes ago, boredinbirmingham said:

No, I have not.  I came from a car without this option so any heat in the wheel is fancy for me.  

Same for me! 2008 Expy to a 2020 Nav. It's all gravy to me lol. 

I am nervous about jacking with something like the heat of the steering wheel. Just afraid it would lessen the design life of it.