Escape Titanium Hybrid AWD vs Edge SEL 4WD

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences on the two above models? My fiancé has been driving the 2017 Edge for the past few years for work and she's looking to upgrade later this week to either the Escape Hybrid or Edge. We live in the prairies of Canada where it can get quite cold and currently there's just two of us in our family. Let me know if you need any other info. 55 printing color copies Thanks in advance!

Edited by BrysonParker

Given her timeline to make a move this week, my preference would the the Escape Titanium Hybrid AWD. I'm inferring from your mention of where you live that AWD will be handy in the winter, and the hybrid drive train will provide much superior fuel economy to the Edge for the distances she might need to travel. I've driven a Ford hybrid for most of the past decade (since 2013) and it's a winning drive train as long as she's not expecting Formula One performance.

5 hours ago, BrysonParker said:

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences on the two above models? My fiancé has been driving the 2017 Edge for the past few years for work and she's looking to upgrade later this week to either the Escape Hybrid or Edge. We live in the prairies of Canada where it can get quite cold and currently there's just two of us in our family. Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks in advance!

Is there a reason she needs it this week? Maybe the lease is expiring on the edge? My advice would be to wait. You will have many more options in a year or two. Bronco, bronco sport, redesigned edge, and hopefully sooner rather than later a face lifted escape.

I looked at an edge when we were buying my wife a new car but The interior just felt too old for me. It’s still using the same my ford touch screens that my 2013 fusion did. We opted for an xlt explorer and she really likes it (except for the recalls lol).

with that said, if your wife likes the look of the escape or edge, just go with it. 

We had an Edge before we had the last generation escape.  As a daily commuter car for one person my wife felt it was too much interior volume for one person, but at the time our twins were still living with us it made sense for weekly sojourns to our cottage in Maine.  After they left home, we replaced the Edge with  the Escape which she said felt more comfortable for daily commute.  As bonus the Escape actually was a better tow vehicle for our 19 foot boat.  Less sag when the boat was hitched up and better power with the turbo four than the N/A V6. The Edge was a more comfortable cruiser for long trips. 

8 hours ago, BrysonParker said:

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences on the two above models? My fiancé has been driving the 2017 Edge for the past few years for work and she's looking to upgrade later this week to either the Escape Hybrid or Edge. We live in the prairies of Canada where it can get quite cold and currently there's just two of us in our family. Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks in advance!

Well one advantage for the Edge would be the Snow tires you currently have would fit it, The Edge also will have more room depending on how often you carry larger items or fill the back up with a Costco run, the back of an Escape fills up fast. Do you fill the back of the Edge up often? Gas mileage will be better in the Escape, but probably not that much better as it is mainly highway miles if you're in the prairies, however your fuel is double the cost than the states so even 15% better makes a huge difference. The Escape will have some more equipment depending (ambient lighting, self parking etc, digital dash and more depending on what the SEL had as options) and would be a different interior than her current Edge. Edge is made in Canada so there is always that (Most Canadians I know are really big on supporting Canada products) the 2019 Edge update really tightened up the vehicle so it feels and drives much better and has much better economy with the 8-speed. I know many people that have had this same decision and some choose the Edge and some Escape, its very common in Detroit with all the lease promotions and Ford employees/retirees. I've also had 2 people regret the decision, one picked the Escape and regretted not getting the Edge, and one picked the Edge and regretted not getting the Escape. (Edge was too small for the one, and Edge was too big for the other) They fixed it when those leases were up.

If you are considering the hybrid, make sure your driving style is right.

I have a 2016 C-Max hybrid that does great in city and commute where highway speeds are in the 60 to 70 range. I usually average in the high 30s in wintertime and high 40s rest of year. However, on long road trips where speed limit is 80, gas mileage is no better than non-hybrid. Low to mid 30s. Also, short trips in wintertime are mpg killers because the engine runs more to warm car up. Having a garage would help, or maybe a block heater (everyone in Canada has them, right?).

The Escape is new and improved but I suspect same caveats hold. Power train appears similar.

17 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Is there a reason she needs it this week? Maybe the lease is expiring on the edge? My advice would be to wait. You will have many more options in a year or two. Bronco, bronco sport, redesigned edge, and hopefully sooner rather than later a face lifted escape.

Plus if a redesigned Edge is coming out next year you might be able to get a sweet discount on the outgoing model, in addition to all the other new vehicle choices by then.