Ford issues restart dates for some US plants as soon as April 6

Ford Motor Co. is aiming to restart production at select plants in North America as early as April 6, the automaker said Thursday.

Ford, General Motors and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles announced they would tentatively idle their North American factories last week to protect workers' health amid the coronavirus pandemic.

In a statement, Ford said it plans to bring its key plants back up and put more safety measures in place to protect returning workers.

Full story

33 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

That seems optimistic to me............but I hope they can do it.

Oh it's very optimistic, especially since Michigan is turning into one of the hardest hit states and it seems our governor is making all the wrong decisions and taking too long to make them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Oh it's very optimistic, especially since Michigan is turning into one of the hardest hit states and it seems our governor is making all the wrong decisions and taking too long to make them. 

I was surprised Michigan is getting hit so bad. I am convinced that a lot of the spread is due to people don't want to change their behavior and are selfish. 

Illinois is under a mild lock down (stay at home if not going to work or taking care of essentials, you can take walks or be outside if social distancing). Now yesterday was a really nice day in the 60's. Idiots were out packing parks (playing basketball and soccer), giving 0 fucks about the shelter in place order.  I am talking tens of thousands of people. This is why I predict IL will be like NY were hospitals are overwhelmed.

9 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I was surprised Michigan is getting hit so bad. I am convinced that a lot of the spread is due to people don't want to change their behavior and are selfish. 

Illinois is under a mild lock down (stay at home if not going to work or taking care of essentials, you can take walks or be outside if social distancing). Now yesterday was a really nice day in the 60's. Idiots were out packing parks (playing basketball and soccer), giving 0 fucks about the shelter in place order.  I am talking tens of thousands of people. This is why I predict IL will be like NY were hospitals are overwhelmed.

We are under the same order right now, but Gretchen issued it starting at 12:01 Tuesday which is after everyone else. She also just now applied to FEMA for relief. 

It was really nice yesterday here too. We took the kids out to the park to get out of the house and there was a lot of people there on the walking paths. Detroit police issued tickets to a family reunion gathering on the west side of the city from what I read on Facebook this morning. 

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

Wow, indeed. But, are we being told that maybe we should get back to normal life? Wonder why not....

(I actually know why)

In GA we don't have any hotspots like New York, but we have ZERO ICU beds available right now in the entire state.   ZERO!  In Albany GA two funerals spread the virus and overwhelmed the local hospital with 16 deaths and hundreds of patients.   It doesn't take much to overwhelm the hospitals.

I think most areas will be able to go back to work with precautions in a week or two but certain areas will need to quarantine periodically if they see outbreaks and forget about concerts and sporting events for at least another month.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

In GA we don't have any hotspots like New York, but we have ZERO ICU beds available right now in the entire state.   ZERO!  In Albany GA two funerals spread the virus and overwhelmed the local hospital with 16 deaths and hundreds of patients.   It doesn't take much to overwhelm the hospitals.

I think most areas will be able to go back to work with precautions in a week or two but certain areas will need to quarantine periodically if they see outbreaks and forget about concerts and sporting events for at least another month.

Not to get carried away into politics, but for reasons I won't go into, the media created a panic. Now, there are probably exponentially more people seeking medical attention who would have never done so in years past. 

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

At least in Michigan, you have to draw a distinction between Metro Detroit and the rural north.  We do have scattered cases of Covid-19 in Northern Michigan, but nothing like downstate.  People are pretty much abiding by the Governor’s “stay inside” recommendation, but “social distancing” isn’t always followed.  Younger folks tend to flaunt it.

The weather up here is still late winter/early spring.  There’s too much snow on the ground to do yard work, but once the snow melts, and it warms up, I suspect people will tire of being inside.  We’ll see what happens then.

54 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Not to get carried away into politics, but for reasons I won't go into, the media created a panic. Now, there are probably exponentially more people seeking medical attention who would have never done so in years past. 

I don't disagree that the media created a panic, but I don't care who is seeking medial attention - you don't admit people to the hospital unless they are legitimately sick and you certainly don't put them in ICU unless they're critically ill.   This is a crisis for hospitals in areas with large infection rates.  And without quarantine and other measures now, we'll end up with more and more of those hotspots like New York and Seattle.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don't disagree that the media created a panic, but I don't care who is seeking medial attention - you don't admit people to the hospital unless they are legitimately sick and you certainly don't put them in ICU unless they're critically ill.   This is a crisis for hospitals in areas with large infection rates.  And without quarantine and other measures now, we'll end up with more and more of those hotspots like New York and Seattle.

Why aren't ICUs running out of beds every year with the thousands of flu deaths annually? people don't go to the hospital usually. The media doesn't hype the flu annually. But now, we are running out of ICU beds. Hmmm.  

Anyway, it all seems to be working. My point is we need to get on with things or it will be a lot worse in the long run if the economy continues to crash. Ford and others need to be able to get to work. 

42 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Why aren't ICUs running out of beds every year with the thousands of flu deaths annually? people don't go to the hospital usually. The media doesn't hype the flu annually. But now, we are running out of ICU beds. Hmmm.  

Anyway, it all seems to be working. My point is we need to get on with things or it will be a lot worse in the long run if the economy continues to crash. Ford and others need to be able to get to work. 

I will assume you are naive.  While seasonal influenza can cause respiratory distress it is not to the level seen in Covid 19.  For seasonal influenza there is a vaccine available that can reduce or eliminate the rate of infection and reduce severity of infection, not the case Covid 19. Throughout the world countries are trying to deal with this highly contagious disease which disproportionately effects the oldest members of our society.  That is why ICU units are being strained.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, pictor said:

I will assume you are naive.  While seasonal influenza can cause respiratory distress it is not to the level seen in Covid 19.  For seasonal influenza there is a vaccine available that can reduce or eliminate the rate of infection and reduce severity of infection, not the case Covid 19. Throughout the world countries are trying to deal with this highly contagious disease which disproportionately effects the oldest members of our society.  That is why ICU units are being strained.

Haha, assume away. There are plenty of reports that say most people will have mild symptoms from this, at best. 

I usually like this forum until I get a shitty remark like that. 

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

Haha, assume away. There are plenty of reports that say most people will have mild symptoms from this, at best. 

I usually like this forum until I get a shitty remark like that. 

Influenza is spread out over a much longer time and geographic area and it’s not as contagious.  Do you think the ventilator shortage is a hoax?

Doctors and Nurses don’t lie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

Influenza is spread out over a much longer time and geographic area and it’s not as contagious.  Do you think the ventilator shortage is a hoax?

Doctors and Nurses don’t lie.

No, I never said I think that is a hoax. NY had an opportunity to have ventilators on hand but didn't take it. 

I don't know the real truth and neither do you or anyone else on here. But hey I'm naive, so....

I think it's time to get the country back to normal, that's all I'm saying. Glad to see Ford is working to that end. 

Well they should have stayed away from the orange man bad protest in nyc cause he called it the "china flu".....that being said the real moral dilema is who gets the ventilator and who do you let "go"....med supplies should have stayed here...oh, more cases in young than old....blue hairs stayed home while young threw caution to the wind

I just got an email that primary building I work in had a person test positive for COVID...waiting for more info.

I've been working remotely since the 16th though, but I've traveled a bit at the end of January/start of Feb and was in Long Island a few weeks ago. 

My state has the second largest numbers of cases in the US and the US just passed China for the most in the world (though I'm taking anything out of China numbers wise with a huge grain of salt) today. 

Shit is going to get very real over the next few weeks for everyone.

The past two weeks have felt like a deployment to me-can't really go anywhere and stuck in the house all day-the living arrangements are far better though LOL