Ford issues restart dates for some US plants as soon as April 6

Well, I’ve just been cut back to 5 hrs a day,

so I guess we’re slowly creeping towards where you guys are now.

public and media in Aust are going ballistic over border security just letting infected people walk off cruise ships that docked this week, that’s where a lot of our spikes in infected people is coming from.

theyre talking about hibernation of industry with no interest and taxes to pay so long as they keep paying employees, could be up to two or three months.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

public and media in Aust are going ballistic over border security just letting infected people walk off cruise ships that docked this week, that’s where a lot of our spikes in infected people is coming from.

theyre talking about hibernation of industry with no interest and taxes to pay so long as they keep paying employees, could be up to two or three months.

I realize it's probably a step down from what you normally do, but I'd recommend looking into delivery driving at dominos or pizza hut. I've worked at both over the years when I wanted extra cash and you can make a very decent amount just in tips. I'd often make around $100 on friday and again on saturday (not even including minimum wage) and I worked in a small town.  I recently saw a news article that dominos was looking to hire 10,000 people during this happening.  Just throwing that out there for really anyone reading who might need work.

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Doubtful...the death rate is dropping...increase is in those affected which is not increasing the death rate...not the correlation the fake news wanted...april 6 ford will be churning out product....the reason they let those people off those incubators of death is they have enough of a trend to show the death rate decrease and hospitals are now sufficent to handle the care....

Edited by snooter

2 hours ago, snooter said:

Doubtful...the death rate is dropping...increase is in those affected which is not increasing the death rate...not the correlation the fake news wanted...april 6 ford will be churning out product....the reason they let those people off those incubators of death is they have enough of a trend to show the death rate decrease and hospitals are now sufficent to handle the care....

Your words to God's ears my friend, I hope you're right because this thing is a monster

that's forcing healthy people out of their jobs in the hopes of stopping it from spreading.

3 hours ago, probowler said:

I realize it's probably a step down from what you normally do, but I'd recommend looking into delivery driving at dominos or pizza hut. I've worked at both over the years when I wanted extra cash and you can make a very decent amount just in tips. I'd often make around $100 on friday and again on saturday (not even including minimum wage) and I worked in a small town.  I recently saw a news article that dominos was looking to hire 10,000 people during this happening.  Just throwing that out there for really anyone reading who might need work.

Thank you but I'm confident that we'll get by even with a 33% haircut.

Most places are closed anyway so less distraction to spend cash.

I have a family member who is retired but still works part time at Walmart. He said some of the panic buying he is seeing there right now is ridiculous. One lady has been there multiple times this week alone. The last time he saw her she had her young daughter with her (all local schools are closed) and between the two of them they had four shopping carts packed full. The lines at the checkouts are never ending. So much for social distancing. And no TP. What the hell do people think they are going to do with all that TP? I suppose you could make a mask with it as long as it wasn't previously used for its original intention...??

The Covid-19 virus has really nothing to do with the flu and comparisons to it should not be made.  Flu viruses are all based on human DNA sequencing and the body immune system recognizes them and has some immunity to them either from previous flu strains or from flu vaccinations.  The Covid-19 virus came from an animal DNA sequence which the human immune system does not recognize.  That means we have NO immunity and our body does not put up a fight.  The Covid 19 virus jumped from animal to human in December in China, then quickly mutated again to allow human to human transmission within a matter of weeks!  There are already 2 versions of the virus.  For reasons as yet unknown in some patients the virus proceeds to destroy the lungs.  If the body cannot get enough oxygen you die.  So most of us are very vulnerable to this highly contagious virus and it's somewhat a crap shoot who lives and who dies.

For me, I am patiently waiting for Ford to start up their Mustang Mach-E production in Mexico.  I have a reservation deposit.  I certainly want my Mach E, but I also want to be here to enjoy it so we need Ford to be responsible in their start up plans.

1 hour ago, Peugfan said:

The Covid-19 virus has really nothing to do with the flu and comparisons to it should not be made.  Flu viruses are all based on human DNA sequencing and the body immune system recognizes them and has some immunity to them either from previous flu strains or from flu vaccinations.  The Covid-19 virus came from an animal DNA sequence which the human immune system does not recognize.  That means we have NO immunity and our body does not put up a fight.  The Covid 19 virus jumped from animal to human in December in China, then quickly mutated again to allow human to human transmission within a matter of weeks!  There are already 2 versions of the virus.  For reasons as yet unknown in some patients the virus proceeds to destroy the lungs.  If the body cannot get enough oxygen you die.  So most of us are very vulnerable to this highly contagious virus and it's somewhat a crap shoot who lives and who dies.

Here's what confuses me... If the body doesn't recognize the virus, shouldn't that exactly be what it goes after? Foreign and unrecognized dna? 

I do understand that the body learns to recognize and become immune against things over time and with exposure, but it seems weird that it would just let something foreign hang out and chill?  Or Maybe it doesn't, it just takes a long time before it can kill it?

Edited by probowler

18 minutes ago, probowler said:

Here's what confuses me... If the body doesn't recognize the virus, shouldn't that exactly be what it goes after? Foreign and unrecognized dna? 

I do understand that the body learns to recognize and become immune against things over time and with exposure, but it seems weird that it would just let something foreign hang out and chill?  Or Maybe it doesn't, it just takes a long time before it can kill it?

I do not know enough to answer your question.  Maybe it takes time for the body to learn how to fight the invader.  My daughter is an MD and I will ask her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51214864

From the article:

"The fever, and generally feeling grotty, is a result of your immune system responding to the infection. It has recognised the virus as a hostile invader and signals to the rest of the body something is wrong by releasing chemicals called cytokines.

These rally the immune system, but also cause the body aches, pain and fever."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Your words to God's ears my friend, I hope you're right because this thing is a monster

that's forcing healthy people out of their jobs in the hopes of stopping it from spreading.

Its bad none-the-less....whats your opinion on ford, gm diversification to products outside automotive.....kinda on-board this may be beneficial 

12 minutes ago, snooter said:

Its bad none-the-less....whats your opinion on ford, gm diversification to products outside automotive.....kinda on-board this may be beneficial 

It could be a profitable enterprise but I suspect both are risk averse and see today as a warning to not take the future for granted.

12 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

It could be a profitable enterprise but I suspect both are risk averse and see today as a warning to not take the future for granted.

Risk averse is putting it mildly.  VW says they're currently burning through 2.2 billion USD dollars/week.  Adam Jonas (Morgan Stanley) estimates Ford and GM are burning through 4 billion dollars/month.  No manufacturer can sustain those kind of losses very long.

2 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Risk averse is putting it mildly.  VW says they're currently burning through 2.2 billion USD dollars/week.  Adam Jonas (Morgan Stanley) estimates Ford and GM are burning through 4 billion dollars/month.  No manufacturer can sustain those kind of losses very long.

They'll have to, for as long as it takes to get the virus under control and once we come out of it,

there's still going to be a significant period of self imposed austerity as folks with depleted cash

reserves will probably pass on a new vehicle for a year or two.

4 hours ago, probowler said:

From what I gather, there's an initial response from the immune system while it devises a strategy to best fight the foreign virus attacking it. 

If the body can't develop a strategy quick enough, you get sick and possibly die. Some people have holes and gaps in their immune systems 

which leaves them more vulnerable. It's those antibodies that stay with us that gives protection from reinfection until the virus mutates like

influenza does and we have to get new flu shots. Those antibodies will also show us which folks have had covid-19 and are now safe to go

back to work, their antibodies could also become a cure for people that are really struggling with covid-19.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

From what I gather, there's an initial response from the immune system while it devises a strategy to best fight the foreign virus attacking it. 

If the body can't develop a strategy quick enough, you get sick and possibly die. Some people have holes and gaps in their immune systems 

which leaves them more vulnerable. It's those antibodies that stay with us that gives protection from reinfection until the virus mutates like

influenza does and we have to get new flu shots. Those antibodies will also show us which folks have had covid-19 and are now safe to go

back to work, their antibodies could also become a cure for people that are really struggling with covid-19.

Thanks Dr. Oz.  Get it? ?

In all seriousness, I agree with what you described.  We have an entire world of scientists/MD’s working to identify remediation tactics for this pandemic.  We will get thru it and be better for it eventually.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

They'll have to, for as long as it takes to get the virus under control and once we come out of it,

there's still going to be a significant period of self imposed austerity as folks with depleted cash

reserves will probably pass on a new vehicle for a year or two.

Oh yeah.  My guess (and it's only a guess), they'll put the Michigan Central Train Depot project on hold, likewise, improvements to the Dearborn campus.  Since management took a pay cut, wouldn't surprise me if salaried employees take a pay cut too (ala' GM).  I wouldn't be surprised if the UAW employees were asked to help out too.  I also wouldn't be surprised if production doesn't resume until May.  

47 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Thanks Dr. Oz.  Get it? ?

In all seriousness, I agree with what you described.  We have an entire world of scientists/MD’s working to identify remediation tactics for this pandemic.  We will get thru it and be better for it eventually.  

Yep, lock downs are to buy time for when the peak is expected in  two or three weeks time.

By then we should know if hospitals will cope with the expected ballooning of serious cases.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Yeah, I heard they were going to allow blood transfusions in emergency cases. Apparently the technique has been around since the early 1900s(?), Cool stuff.

• Like 1

We up here at Oakville Assembly Complex are down til April 20th at the earliest. Hearing that we may only be working days when we return. So many damn rumors. Our downtime was told to us by Unifor local 707 our local so I guess it’s fact. This Covid situation is just unreal! 

• Sad 1