Ford issues restart dates for some US plants as soon as April 6

On 3/30/2020 at 4:21 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

And yet the state of Georgia still won't issue a shelter in place order,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HRG

Effective Friday until 4/13.  My guess is it will be extended,  if your mayor and county commissioners didn’t do it on their own like ours did, you should keep that in mind at election time.  They don’t need the Governor or the Presidents permission.

• 2 weeks later...

With SE Michigan still in the thick of the COVID19 outbreak, May 1 seems unlikely. Flattening  the curve saves lives, but this action widens the tails of the distribution. Those who took 6 sigma training or equivalent should understand it. Decision will be difficult. Who will want to lift the stay at home and cost lives? Who will want to extend and cost jobs and the economy?  

2 hours ago, Husker Fan said:

Any update on plants reopening?  How much notice do they give the employees to report?  17 days until May1st!

Technically they don't have to give us any notice at all. I could get a robocall right now saying report for my shift tonight as long as it's no later than 45 minutes prior to the regularly scheduled start time. 

23 minutes ago, paintguy said:

With SE Michigan still in the thick of the COVID19 outbreak, May 1 seems unlikely. Flattening  the curve saves lives, but this action widens the tails of the distribution. Those who took 6 sigma training or equivalent should understand it. Decision will be difficult. Who will want to lift the stay at home and cost lives? Who will want to extend and cost jobs and the economy?  

A lot of people are misunderstanding flattening the curve, that happens when new infections are down to 8 or 9 per day.

I think people are seeing the peak infection rate and thinking job done in two weeks time.

1 hour ago, paintguy said:

Deaths can be mitigated by having high risk individuals continue to shelter at home and/or take extra precautions and by expanding availability of new treatments like Hydroxychloroquine as well as hospitals having additional capacity and ventilators.   Some areas may need to continue to shelter in place but the majority of the country could get back to work soon with those precautions with the understanding that an outbreak could cause another shelter in place at any time, county by county, state by state.  Large crowds should probably still not be allowed.  Sports can resume without fans for the time being.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Husker Fan said:

Any updates on the restart dates based on US restart guidelines given to Governors?  

Not that I know of, but this has to be a carefully coordinated effort between OEM's and suppliers that are located in several different countries.  Makes no sense to start production in the U.S. if a critical part sourced from Mexico isn't available.  So we'll see.

11 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Not that I know of, but this has to be a carefully coordinated effort between OEM's and suppliers that are located in several different countries.  Makes no sense to start production in the U.S. if a critical part sourced from Mexico isn't available.  So we'll see.

There was also a Borg Warner plant in (I think, I can't actually read the article due to the paywall) Tennessee that was severely damaged by a tornado that has F-series and SUV production in jeopardy 

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-damaged-borgwarner-plant-may-disrupt-f-150-suv-output

• Like 1

Article in Omaha Paper about tornado damage  at plant.  

Not the comment that says "The company is negotiating with the United Auto Workers union about reopening factories but hasn't given a target date ."

https://www.omaha.com/eedition/sunrise/articles/tornado-damage-threatens-ford-supply-line/article_8004c3aa-76b0-5597-a310-16763dbf1ba0.html

Regarding the Borg Warner plant damage, this got me wondering about parts on hand for vehicles that were scheduled for production.

I ordered my 2020 F150 Limited on March 4, got the VIN on the 13th and on the 19th was advised it was scheduled for production the week of the 30th.  Shortly after getting that news, it was announced that the plant would be shutting down for 2 weeks (that sure was optimistic).

My questions are, when a truck is scheduled for a specific week to be assembled, that implies that all the pieces & parts would be at the Dearborn plant by the beginning of that week, right?  If that is the case, how far before that week would the parts get there?  And specifically regarding the transfer case that I assume would be coming from the BW plant, would the plant have x number of them on-hand when a production run is started?

As someone who has been a car nut all my life, when I stop and think about it, it is truly amazing how many pieces & parts go into a build and where they are all coming from.

Everyone be safe!

Tentative restart dates for U.S. plants. Subject to change.

• Ford: TBD
  • General Motors: TBD
  • Tesla: May 4
  • Volkswagen (Chattanooga): May 3
  • Daimler (MBUSI): April 27
  • BMW (Spartanburg/Greer): May 4
  • Volvo (Ridgeville): May 4
  • FCA: May 4
  • Toyota: week of May 4
  • Honda: May 11
  • Nissan: mid May
  • Subaru: May 11
  • Hyundai (HMMA): May 4
  • Kia (KMMG): May 4

6 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Tentative restart dates for U.S. plants. Subject to change.

• Ford: TBD
  • General Motors: TBD
  • Tesla: May 4
  • Volkswagen (Chattanooga): May 3
  • Daimler (MBUSI): April 27
  • BMW (Spartanburg/Greer): May 4
  • Volvo (Ridgeville): May 4
  • FCA: May 4
  • Toyota: week of May 4
  • Honda: May 11
  • Nissan: mid May
  • Subaru: May 11
  • Hyundai (HMMA): May 4
  • Kia (KMMG): May 4

GM is recalling some workers next week but I haven't seen a list of what plants are coming back online yet. Arlington seems like a safe bet given that Governor Abbott wants to reopen Texas ASAP. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Husker Fan said:

My dealer just called me.  I have a Ranger on order.  My build date has been updated from May 11th to May 28th.   It would appear things are about to restart 

Im not sure I would read anything into that right now until we know when plants are going to start back up.

• 2 weeks later...