2019/2020 Ford Edge Horn

Sean J.

Hi all,

I know this topic and thread has been mentioned elsewhere but I wanted to make a new post with my findings on the single note horn issue on the 2019/2020 Ford Edges out there. There is a warranty fix!

I recently picked up my 2020 Ford edge ST that I ordered straight from the factory. As assumed, it came with a single note horn attached to a dual note horn bracket. I therefore asked my parts department to order the available part for a 2020 Ford Edge and sure enough in the box came a dual note horn. I therefore took it to my service department and they installed it under warranty and classified it as an installation issue from the factory. Software diagnostics run initially in the service dept. even went so far as listing a dual note horn as installed when indeed it was not. So...somebody f***** up somewhere along the way and nobody is catching it.

Later,

TT

41 minutes ago, TobyTime said:

Software diagnostics run initially in the service dept. even went so far as listing a dual note horn as installed when indeed it was not. So...somebody f***** up somewhere along the way and nobody is catching it.

Later,

TT

Most likely on purpose cost cutting.  Not all replacement parts are exactly the same as what they put on at the factory.  And something 99.99% of buyers wouldn't notice or care about.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

Most likely on purpose cost cutting.  Not all replacement parts are exactly the same as what they put on at the factory.  And something 99.99% of buyers wouldn't notice or care about.

I thought of that too, but to install a dual-horn bracket then only attach one horn to it and confirm systematically that a dual-horn is installed? That's not right.

As for noticing, I'm sure tons of people are definitely noticing and caring about it. It's impossible not to. Think "clown car". They just probably think it's supposed to be that way while cringing every time they have to use/hear it.

TT

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TobyTime said:

I thought of that too, but to install a dual-horn bracket then only attach one horn to it and confirm systematically that a dual-horn is installed? That's not right.

As for noticing, I'm sure tons of people are definitely noticing and caring about it. It's impossible not to. Think "clown car". They just probably think it's supposed to be that way while cringing every time they have to use/hear it.

TT

They don't "accidentally" use a single horn instead of a double horn.  I guarantee it's on purpose. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

What does the two note sound like?  What's the possibility of being able to retro that into a 2014 Limited?

Well, to break it down simply, it's the difference between playing 1 note on a piano, for example, and 2 notes. When it comes to a horn itself it's harder to describe. Most dual note car horns are the notes F# and A# I believe. If you've heard a normal car horn recently it was probably dual note, so take away one of those notes (not sure which one if it matters) and you're left with a very lethargic single note horn which sounds neither aggressive nor serious. It was so bad on my Edge ST that I didn't use it until after I had the dual note installed. Thankfully I didn't NEED to use it for the first couple days of owning the vehicle.

As for your 2014 limited, I believe those already have a dual note horn. This only became an issue when the new 2019 body style came out. As a matter of fact, I know a couple people who purchased the 2018 dual note horn and installed it in their 2019 Edges before they realized they could have gotten it done under warranty.

TT

1 hour ago, flashfearless said:

OK now I get it.  Yeah if what I have is the dual note horn and the single note is something wimpy like the Camry, then that would really suck.  The only thing that sucks worse than a horn on a Toyota are daytime running lights.  And I won't drive a car with either.  

Yes. I think that would be accurate, although I can't say I've heard a horn from a Camry recently. ?

As for DRL's, I think they're a safety must these days. The amount of visibility they give other distracted drivers of your presence on the road has saved many accidents since they were instituted years ago, much like the center brake light that came out in the mid-80's. Lots of today's models come with them in LED form which looks cool, and in vehicles like my new Edge you can turn them off if you feel the need. I personally always want people to see me coming so I leave mine on.
TT

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TobyTime said:

Yes. I think that would be accurate, although I can't say I've heard a horn from a Camry recently. ?

As for DRL's, I think they're a safety must these days. The amount of visibility they give other distracted drivers of your presence on the road has saved many accidents since they were instituted years ago, much like the center brake light that came out in the mid-80's. Lots of today's models come with them in LED form which looks cool, and in vehicles like my new Edge you can turn them off if you feel the need. I personally always want people to see me coming so I leave mine on.
TT

Actually the safety aspect of DRLs is statistically negligible.   The reason is simple - most t-bone or head on collisions are caused by the driver not looking at all or not paying attention, in which case DRLs won't help.  Just look at all the youtube crash videos of people pulling out in front of others in broad daylight.  No way they even tried to look.   OTOH there could be a few situations in low visibility where they might help.

I wouldn't go out of my way to turn them on, but I also wouldn't turn them off.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

Actually the safety aspect of DRLs is statistically negligible.   The reason is simple - most t-bone or head on collisions are caused by the driver not looking at all or not paying attention, in which case DRLs won't help.  Just look at all the youtube crash videos of people pulling out in front of others in broad daylight.  No way they even tried to look.   OTOH there could be a few situations in low visibility where they might help.

I can say the same thing with motorcycles.  I ride with my low beam on, plus some spots that are running at 20% during daytime.  And I have a BMW R1200RT.   Profile wise, it's a fairly large looking bike.  And yet, people still don't see me at times.  They're just getting to lazy to turn their damn heads and actually look.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

Meh. I don't care about statistics. I just care that all the alert drivers (those that ARE actually looking ahead) can see me better in all situations. I'll take all the help I can get, especially here in Michigan! Do you know how many people drive at night around here, for miles on some of our busiest thoroughfares, without ever turning their lights on?? I've followed way too many in recent months, and most of them were very dark colored cars to boot. How do people forget this??? At least with DRL's these idiots can be seen coming.

TT

44 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I can say the same thing with motorcycles.  I ride with my low beam on, plus some spots that are running at 20% during daytime.  And I have a BMW R1200RT.   Profile wise, it's a fairly large looking bike.  And yet, people still don't see me at times.  They're just getting to lazy to turn their damn heads and actually look.

My sister has always been a motorcycle person and she's echoed your same thoughts on multiple occasions. Motorcycles have their own set of issues when it comes to this. I flinch every time I hear one coming, the sound grates on me, but I remind myself that the sound helps drivers stay alert to their presence.

TT

3 hours ago, TobyTime said:

Do you know how many people drive at night around here, for miles on some of our busiest thoroughfares, without ever turning their lights on?? I've followed way too many in recent months, and most of them were very dark colored cars to boot. How do people forget this??? At least with DRL's these idiots can be seen coming.

TT

Or driving in the rain with no lights.  I’ve often said that making auto headlamps required with default on and you have to manually turn them off is a much better safety improvement than DRLs.   I can see how some will forget lights at dusk because the IP lights up independently.  but most also ignore you when you flash your lights at them.  Completely clueless.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Or driving in the rain with no lights.  I’ve often said that making auto headlamps required with default on and you have to manually turn them off is a much better safety improvement than DRLs.   I can see how some will forget lights at dusk because the IP lights up independently.  but most also ignore you when you flash your lights at them.  Completely clueless.

Yes! Love that idea! If we can have cars driving around that almost drive themselves we can certainly figure out a way to make automatic lights a default passive feature like DRL's.

Regardless of the IP, you'd think not being able to see the road or your own light beams would be a huge clue, then again, these are the same people who don't notice the person flashing them or don't get why the person is flashing them.

We should all be required to re-test every 5 years, live, with a rep in the passenger seat, in the rain, at night, in a simulated environment. Half the population would be doomed. ?

TT

Edited by TobyTime

9 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

Well, let's just say that if the next car that I get, if it has DRL, unless required by law, they will be turned off.  If they can't be switched off, then I will remove the fuse from the box to make sure that they are off.  

Ok, but why go to such lengths? What do you hate so much about having some lights on during the day? It's basically the same as having them (and all the others) on at night. Visibility is visibility. ?

TT

On 3/30/2020 at 12:23 PM, akirby said:

They don't "accidentally" use a single horn instead of a double horn.  I guarantee it's on purpose. 

Some over on the Edge Forums are saying Ford won't warranty this. At any rate it looks to be under $30 to get the dual note.

1 hour ago, MKX1960 said:

Some over on the Edge Forums are saying Ford won't warranty this. At any rate it looks to be under $30 to get the dual note.

Mine was done 100% under warranty. Car was only like 2 days old. Maybe I got lucky. If they're going to deny this under warranty going forward, then they need to stop selling the correct dual note in the parts dept, stop using a dual bracket in the car, and stop tricking the software into thinking a dual note is installed.

TT

8 hours ago, TobyTime said:

Mine was done 100% under warranty. Car was only like 2 days old. Maybe I got lucky. If they're going to deny this under warranty going forward, then they need to stop selling the correct dual note in the parts dept, stop using a dual bracket in the car, and stop tricking the software into thinking a dual note is installed.

TT

Hard to say whether Ford paid for that or the dealer since it wasn't expensive.   Either way some dealers just don't want to hassle with it either way and will just say that's the way it's built (which is true).

If you want to try the dealer then do what TobyTime did and point out in the documentation that it says Dual note and that the new part is Dual note.  Worth a shot if it bothers you.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 9:16 PM, TobyTime said:

Ok, but why go to such lengths? What do you hate so much about having some lights on during the day? It's basically the same as having them (and all the others) on at night. Visibility is visibility. ?

TT

Hate them, that's all. They do nothing.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 1:15 AM, TobyTime said:

TT

My Ford parts department doesn’t carry the dual note horn for my 2019 Titanium. Claims it doesn’t exist. I’m waiting for a call back from my service coordinator because I can’t take it anymore. Sounds like a little tykes car horn?

2 hours ago, Mymeow said:

My Ford parts department doesn’t carry the dual note horn for my 2019 Titanium. Claims it doesn’t exist. I’m waiting for a call back from my service coordinator because I can’t take it anymore. Sounds like a little tykes car horn?

I totally get it friend! I was NOT about to drive an ST model for more than a couple days with that crazy clown-car horn!

If it helps, all I did was call my parts dept and asked him to look up the part based on my vin number. He did, and although he couldn't confirm what would come in the box, he said he'd just order it and open the box when it came in, so just have your parts guy/gal do that anyway. You need to see what part arrives in the box. He called me a couple days later and said, "you're in luck, the dual note part arrived in the box", so service replaced it shortly thereafter.

Good Luck and report back what you find out! I'll be curious to know what happens.

TT

• 2 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 2:59 PM, TobyTime said:

I totally get it friend! I was NOT about to drive an ST model for more than a couple days with that crazy clown-car horn!

If it helps, all I did was call my parts dept and asked him to look up the part based on my vin number. He did, and although he couldn't confirm what would come in the box, he said he'd just order it and open the box when it came in, so just have your parts guy/gal do that anyway. You need to see what part arrives in the box. He called me a couple days later and said, "you're in luck, the dual note part arrived in the box", so service replaced it shortly thereafter.

Good Luck and report back what you find out! I'll be curious to know what happens.

TT

Finally getting this fixed. My Ford service claims not a warranty item. Charging me $60 installed. It’s worth it. I just can’t use the single note horn. Went to a NY Islanders event and I refused to hit the horn. So embarrassing ?

5 minutes ago, Mymeow said:

Finally getting this fixed. My Ford service claims not a warranty item. Charging me $60 installed. It’s worth it. I just can’t use the single note horn. Went to a NY Islanders event and I refused to hit the horn. So embarrassing ?

I'm glad to know this is getting fixed but bewildered as to why your service department isn't doing it under warranty! The car comes with a dual horn mount and only a single horn attached to it, and the replacement part comes with dual horns! How did the discussion with parts and service go?

TT