GM Delays Mid-Cycle Updates

mackinaw

FCA has also deferred certain programs until this is over. 

If Adam Jonas (Morgan Stanley) is to be believed, GM (and Ford) could be burning through one billion dollars/week.  Of course there's going to be adjustments to their spending plans.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Don't know about the Bronco, but Mach E development is continuing.  From today's Autoline Daily.  Go to the 1:51 mark.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=66973

Do you really think the Bronco is launching on time now? I haven't been told anything (it's hard enough getting answers about unemployment right now with all the changes going on) but I can promise you this, ain't no way that launch is staying on schedule. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Do you really think the Bronco is launching on time now? I haven't been told anything (it's hard enough getting answers about unemployment right now with all the changes going on) but I can promise you this, ain't no way that launch is staying on schedule. 

Personally, I doubt the Bronco or Bronco Sport will launch as first planned.  Nobody ever planned on having factories shut down for weeks, or even months, because of some virus.  It's not just Ford though, the entire industry is in the same position.  All anybody can do is ride the wave until the worst is over.  

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

As of now it is on schedule (they haven't notified tier 1 suppliers that it isn't) That launch is far enough away that as long as things start to get back to semi-normal in mid June things should be okay. Some of the software guys and engineers are being super productive, really good way to look at bugs and fix things because they stay out of in office meetings and away from the micromanagers. It is also allowing some of the programmers to be night owls and tackling a multitude of issues as well as have time to do some fun/cool stuff they might not always have had time in the past to do. Based on some supplier reports summer shutdown weeks will be moved or eliminated all together.

Ford still has the foot on the gas as much as it can vs GM and FCA. Ford needs new product in the showroom, they've ben taking about the next 18 months for 3 years getting this right is the companies future.

8 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

As of now it is on schedule (they haven't notified tier 1 suppliers that it isn't) That launch is far enough away that as long as things start to get back to semi-normal in mid June things should be okay. Some of the software guys and engineers are being super productive, really good way to look at bugs and fix things because they stay out of in office meetings and away from the micromanagers. It is also allowing some of the programmers to be night owls and tackling a multitude of issues as well as have time to do some fun/cool stuff they might not always have had time in the past to do. Based on some supplier reports summer shutdown weeks will be moved or eliminated all together.

Ford still has the foot on the gas as much as it can vs GM and FCA. Ford needs new product in the showroom, they've ben taking about the next 18 months for 3 years getting this right is the companies future.

My brother-in-law works for one of the companies building some of the equipment (He's even on the install team), and they just started tearing it down for shipping before they got shut down until April 13th. He thinks they'll be out longer too and they haven't heard anything from Ford yet about scheduling changes. I'll be shocked if it stays on time. 

On 3/31/2020 at 7:49 AM, jasonj80 said:

So as we come out of this over the next 6-18 months GM will have old product to sell rather than a showroom full of new product. 

GM is the kid in high school that always made poor decisions and blames everyone else for their lack of success. 

Yea-kind of like the initial mistakes with the introduction of the new Explorer.  It's real funny how others are seen on this board verses the "Blue Oval".

12 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

RAM sales were up 3% last quarter.......

42 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

RAM sales were up 3% last quarter.......

Silverado and Sierra up big for the quarter as well.  Not sure what that means considering the numbers from 2019 Q1.  Although, I am interested in seeing the sales numbers for the F150 for comparison.  

20 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Silverado and Sierra up big for the quarter as well.  Not sure what that means considering the numbers from 2019 Q1.  Although, I am interested in seeing the sales numbers for the F150 for comparison.  

Yes sir, GM and FCA are the big winners in terms of full size pickup truck sales for Q1.

F-Series U.S. sales in Q1 2020 are down 13.1%. https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2020/04/02/sales1q-2020.pdf

Other full size pickups.

• Toyota Tundra, down 13.7%
  • Nissan Titan, down 40.8%
Edited by rperez817

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, GM and FCA are the big winners in terms of full size pickup truck sales for Q1.

F-Series U.S. sales in Q1 2020 are down 13.1%. https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2020/04/02/sales1q-2020.pdf

Other full size pickups.

• Toyota Tundra, down 13.7%
  • Nissan Titan, down 40.8%

It's possible GM and FCA has more fleet sales this quarter while Ford might be weighted more to later in the year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's possible GM and FCA has more fleet sales this quarter while Ford might be weighted more to later in the year.

Yes sir, that's certainly a possibility. Unfortunately, none of these 3 companies reported fleet sales as a percentage of total sales by model in their Q1 2020 U.S. sales press releases. Ford and GM didn't disclose overall fleet % at all, while FCA reported that 31% of overall sales went to fleet.

42 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, that's certainly a possibility. Unfortunately, none of these 3 companies reported fleet sales as a percentage of total sales by model in their Q1 2020 U.S. sales press releases. Ford and GM didn't disclose overall fleet % at all, while FCA reported that 31% of overall sales went to fleet.

Ford actually said F150 fleet sales were lower 1Q which I think is normal.  Most of their fleet is weighted towards the middle/end of year.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, akirby said:

This is a standard excuse on this board.

It's right up there with "don't have enough factory capacity to be number one "in (name segment here).

OR-Ford will make more money selling ten units that Hyundai/Kia selling 150,000 a year.

Yep-we have heard them all..........

Edited by CKNSLS

18 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

It's right up there with "don't have enough factory capacity to be number one "in (name segment here).

OR-Ford will make more money selling ten units that Hyundai/Kia selling 150,000 a year.

You know, you could look at previous yearly sales reports and see it for yourself rather than calling it an excuse. 

But you won't because name calling is much easier 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

You’re just mad because Explorer and Escape sales weren’t terrible.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2020 at 12:24 AM, jasonj80 said:

On 4/1/2020 at 8:50 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

My brother-in-law works for one of the companies building some of the equipment (He's even on the install team), and they just started tearing it down for shipping before they got shut down until April 13th. He thinks they'll be out longer too and they haven't heard anything from Ford yet about scheduling changes. I'll be shocked if it stays on time. 

If things start going back to normal by the end of next month, I don't think a 60-90 day delay is out of the question for the Bronco Sport and maybe 30-60 days for the Bronco.

This isn't going to push them back 6-12 months...which would be a major issue. 

39 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

If things start going back to normal by the end of next month, I don't think a 60-90 day delay is out of the question for the Bronco Sport and maybe 30-60 days for the Bronco.

This isn't going to push them back 6-12 months...which would be a major issue. 

Bronco Sport, I could see that. Most, if not all of the new Processes are in place (if what @jpd80 said a few weeks ago is accurate) 

Bronco, no way. It will take weeks for the new equipment to be deconstructed where it was built and shipped to us. I don't know what the construction timeline is/was but I just don't see how it won't be at least a 3-6 month delay.