Make V8's Great Again: New Trump automobile mileage standards to gut Obama climate effort

Wrangler EcoDiesels are available in Jeep showrooms now with 442 ft-lb of torque staring at 1400rpm, solid axles, and can run 37"+ wheels without regearing. Real  bummer they don't have manual transmissions and/or are available on the 2 door. Maybe Ford will put in the F-150/Range Rover diesel to make a real 'overland' Bronco with good cruising range and off road torque. 

6 hours ago, Donaldo said:

Wrangler EcoDiesels are available in Jeep showrooms now with 442 ft-lb of torque staring at 1400rpm, solid axles, and can run 37"+ wheels without regearing. Real  bummer they don't have manual transmissions and/or are available on the 2 door. Maybe Ford will put in the F-150/Range Rover diesel to make a real 'overland' Bronco with good cruising range and off road torque

There is definitely a manual trans Bronco with a super low first gear, so no riding a torque converter when rock crawling.

An engine with  lots of torque just above idle is a valid requirement for a serious rock crawler but IMO, it's not essential

for Ford to supply a showroom vehicle that can be everything to everyone who wants one, there has to be compromises.

There may be an opportunity to supply V6 Powerstroke after the initial launch, not sure if this will ever  happen but theglobal

Ranger is expected to get V6 PS. Fingers crossed......

Fingers crossed that Ford may see an opportunity 

Edited by jpd80

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

There may be an opportunity to supply V6 Powerstroke after the initial launch, not sure if this will ever  happen but theglobal

Ranger is expected to get V6 PS. Fingers crossed......

Fingers crossed that Ford may see an opportunity 

Diesel F-150 hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire sales wise.

I hear there are people mad that V16s are readily available anymore as well...

And that you need to wear seatbelts...

And that you no longer have full-size wagons...

And "your aluminum truck is no match for my steel truck"...

If anyone is standing in the way of the inevitable, I suggest you look up the term "Luddite" in the dictionary. 

• Like 3

On 4/1/2020 at 9:09 AM, Justdatdude said:

We've reached the end of ICEs and some of you need to get over that.

We just purchased our first PHEV.  Filling it with gas is quick, simple and available everywhere... but charging it is absolutely a royal PITA.  Personally, I like the idea of pure EVs but I won't be buying one in the foreseeable future.  I'm replacing my lawn tractor with a Husqvarna Robotic Automower/Ego rechargeable walk behind mower combo, but I'm not ready to deal with the many hassles of keeping our cars charged.  I would love to have a Mach-E, but as a fun toy and not a dailey driver. Our neighbor had a Tesla Model X and traded for a Wrangler Rubicon after two years because of all the charging inconveniences.

Edited by CoolScoop

On 4/3/2020 at 8:06 AM, silvrsvt said:

The power issue isn't as big of a deal as  you make out to be-most recharging will be done in the evening/overnight hours and there are other things on the grid power wise that can be improved to help with consumption or be more efficient. about 15 years ago a guy I know who owned a shop was given more efficient lighting by the power company because it was a cheap and easy upgrade to cut down on the amount of power used by its customers, just as an example.

If I wind up getting a MME for my wife, we are going to look at Solar to offset costs-I'd rather pay $50-100 bill a month in the summer vis $250 or higher when the AC is on. 

Funny how the anti-EV arguments are like Groundhog Day. The same already-refuted talking points over and over and over again...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

We just purchased our first PHEV.  Filling it with gas is quick, simple and available everywhere... but charging it is absolutely a royal PITA.  Personally, I like the idea of pure EVs but I won't be buying one in the foreseeable future.  I'm replacing my lawn tractor with a Husqvarna Robotic Automower/Ego rechargeable walk behind mower combo, but I'm not ready to deal with the many hassles of keeping our cars charged.  I would love to have a Mach-E, but as a fun toy and not a dailey driver. Our neighbor had a Tesla Model X and traded for a Wrangler Rubicon after two years because of all the charging inconveniences.

How is recharging inconvenient? When you get home, you plug it in. You unplug it in the morning when you leave. It's not all that different than what you do with a phone. If you're one the 22% of households without off street, it would be a different story though.

Edited by AGR

On 4/3/2020 at 9:55 AM, rperez817 said:

Oil companies will need to invest in renewable energy (non fossil fuel) if they want to stay relevant 20 years from now. Many already are. Also, some oil companies are already providing EV charging products and services, directly or through partnerships. 

Most convenience stores make more money off the stuff they inside than they do off the stuff they sell outside. If you don't believe that, go to Oregon. There, it's illegal to pump your own gas. So 7-11s there don't have gas pumps...but there's still plenty of 7-11s around.

26 minutes ago, AGR said:

How is recharging inconvenient? 

Charging at home is fine but charging at work, for either me or my wife, isn't even possible and how can anyone say that charging an EV on a road trip is convenient.  Our neighbors took their Model X on several trips using Tesla's trip planner to carefully plan the routes for charging stations along the way.  They loved the car but hated the inconvenience so much it forced them to trade it.  That will change someday... and I'll be all electric when it does.

Edited by CoolScoop

15 hours ago, probowler said:

Guy: Provides actual statistical data to back up his opinion

BOF: OMG, YOU'RE SUCH A HATER

All I said is I don't want to pay big money for a medium size turbo

motor that won't fit my needs. I will just wait, buy used, and build my own. 

2 hours ago, AGR said:

Funny how the anti-EV arguments are like Groundhog Day. The same already-refuted talking points over and over and over again...

Really?? Still waiting for an answer when my cord is frozen to ground, under a foot of snow, and I have to plow driveway. 

4 hours ago, OX1 said:

Really?? Still waiting for an answer when my cord is frozen to ground, under a foot of snow, and I have to plow driveway. 

In addition to the already-refuted talking points, some others will bring up situations that apply to 0.00001% of the population, like the above...

Seriously??  How often is there going to be an EV charge cord "frozen to the ground under a foot of snow"???

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

I guess you don't live in northern Michigan.

Neither does about 99.7% of the US population.. If you include all of the super cold areas of the country, that's about 3 or 4%. But back to the point; who is going to leave their charge cord outside long enough to have it freeze to the ground and get buried under a foot of snow, other than a complete dolt? 

Edited by AGR
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, probowler said:

Okay, Well I live in Alaska and that photo applies to me too.

Anyone else live in a state that snows?

I added to my post while you were responding.

I live in Iowa, we average about 40". Not Alaska or UP levels, but much more than my former home in Austin(an inch every half dozen years or so).

But the photo Mackinaw posted is of a Supercharger site, while OX1 was clearly talking about his own driveway.

12 hours ago, Black Label said:

I do, with hydronic floor heat. I can have it at 75 degrees if I want during the cold Chicago suburbs winter. No EV for me though, but my oil in EB likes it. 

That's even more rare though. 

Around where I live there's a lot of older neighborhoods where it's houses on small lots and, if you’re lucky, a short driveway with no garage. That means almost exclusively street parking only. Who wants to run a power cable from your house across the lawn/sidewalk to the street? Not many I'm sure. 

• Like 2