Make V8's Great Again: New Trump automobile mileage standards to gut Obama climate effort

9 hours ago, snooter said:

Its not the voltage...its the amps that matter

That’s not really true. Volts * Amps = Watts

A typical 120V outlet is 15 amps, or 1800 Watts max. 

A 240V, 50 amp circuit will give you 12000 Watts, or 12kW. Use the max rating of 12kW for an hour and you’ve used 12kWh of electricity, or about $1.00 worth in my area. 

Now, let’s talk about losses. Loss occurs due to current and resistance. Loss increases as a square of current. That’s why transmission lines run at a high voltage. It reduces current and thus losses. You will see less total loss charging with 240V than with 120V. That means less heat generated. 

8 hours ago, AGR said:

Right, 220V, AKA Level 2 is what you want for overnight charging, but that would something you would have in your garage. Many public chargers are Level 2 as well. But if you're going to "run a cord" as OX1 keeps talking about, you wouldn't want to use anything beyond a heavy duty 120V extension cord.

You can run 50 A 220V off a cord, it’s just heavy. That’s what many RVs use (even though most are wired as 2 legs of 110, not as 220). However, the longer your cord, the thicker it needs to be to keep you from losing voltage and power due to heat. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AGR said:

Right, 220V, AKA Level 2 is what you want for overnight charging, but that would something you would have in your garage. Many public chargers are Level 2 as well. But if you're going to "run a cord" as OX1 keeps talking about, you wouldn't want to use anything beyond a heavy duty 120V extension cord.

120V overnight won’t give you a full charge, will it?

3 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Depends on how big the battery is and how long ‘overnight’ is. 10 hours at 1500 Watts (about normal for a typical 110V outlet) is 15kWh. 

According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, a typical Level 1 (120V) connection will net you 4-5 miles for each hour of charging.  Level 2 charging will get you 15-25 miles for each hour of charging.  My typical day varies from 25 to over 100 miles of driving.  Most days are roughly 60 miles.  I don’t think I’d be comfortable with Level 1 charging.  I’d probably be comfortable with Level 2 charging.  But I don’t plan to replace my Mustang any time soon. 

We use my wife’s Edge for trips.  There isn’t an EV available today that I would buy to replace her Edge.  Charging is still too much of an inconvenience on long trips.  And we will be replacing the Edge within the next year. 

Batteries dc only...in fact the slower they charge the better for the battery life...trickle charge initially is critical for the battery....turtle wins the race...the whole argument on enhanced charge or common garage plug charge is overall meaningles

10 hours ago, CurtisH said:

120V overnight won’t give you a full charge, will it?

It usually does not, which why the talk of long cords getting run over, frozen to the ground, or buried in snow, are silly. If you own an EV, you're going to have a Level 2 charger and are generally going to take care of it. 

Edited by AGR