Ford 1st Quarter Sales

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

In North America, Toyota now has 3 plants that assemble the impressively popular RAV4.

• TMMC Woodstock - dedicated to RAV4
  • TMMC Cambridge - RAV4 production added 2Q 2019. Also assembles Lexus RX.
  • TMMK - RAV4 Hybrid production added in 1Q 2020. Also assembles Avalon, Camry, and Lexus ES.

RAV4 for markets outside North America are assembled at plants in Japan (Takaoka) and China (GAC and FAW).

Three plants in North America tells me they’re in for as much as they can sell, there is a down side to that amount of leverage

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Three plants in North America tells me they’re in for as much as they can sell, there is a down side to that amount of leverage

It may be a risk for Toyota to devote this much production capacity to a single model. But for all its faults, Toyota is very agile when it comes to manufacturing processes and plant utilization. If sales of RAV4 collapse over a long period of time, I'm sure Toyota will be able to adapt the TMMC and TMMK facilities for other products fairly quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

It may be a risk for Toyota to devote this much production capacity to a single model. But for all its faults, Toyota is very agile when it comes to manufacturing processes and plant utilization. If sales of RAV4 collapse over a long period of time, I'm sure Toyota will be able to adapt the TMMC and TMMK facilities for other products fairly quickly.

This ability to react quickly to market changes has crushed detroit for last 30 years....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Explorer sales look pretty good but a disappointing quarter for F series which was outsold by the GM twins. Fusion holding up pretty well in its last year. 

I don’t think the lower F-Series sales is really all that surprising.  It’s a 5 year old truck competing against new models, so I would argue that it is holding its own.  They can prop up the numbers at the end of the year with incentives or fleet sales while the new model prepares to roll out.  I’m one of those people that would delay my purchase I order to get the new model, since it is just around the corner.  I imagine there are many like me out there.  

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes, Toyota showed that adaptability with Tundra moving from a dedicated plant to shared digs with Tacoma.

Toyota's success with small vehicles is mirrored by abject failure with larger more profitable vehicles.

• Like 1

Not great numbers there, but not horrible either.  Q2 numbers will be a disaster for everyone.

It sucks that right as Ford is finally starting to get the new product out that they've needed the last few years, and it's derailed by this coronavirus stuff.

Look at Aviator go - it's just shy of being the top seller for the brand.  It does look as though it ate some Navigator and Nautilus sales on the top and bottom end, though.  I'm sure they'll happily take an Aviator sale over a Nautilus sale, but can the same be said of Navigator - guess that depends on if it's base Navigators vs. loaded Aviators.  It's definitely nice to see it doing well, though.  It outsold XT6 by 600 roughly units too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Not great numbers there, but not horrible either.  Q2 numbers will be a disaster for everyone.

It sucks that right as Ford is finally starting to get the new product out that they've needed the last few years, and it's derailed by this coronavirus stuff.

Look at Aviator go - it's just shy of being the top seller for the brand.  It does look as though it ate some Navigator and Nautilus sales on the top and bottom end, though.  I'm sure they'll happily take an Aviator sale over a Nautilus sale, but can the same be said of Navigator - guess that depends on if it's base Navigators vs. loaded Aviators.  It's definitely nice to see it doing well, though.  It outsold XT6 by 600 roughly units too.

The important point is that combined sales were increasing, Corsair sales were also  looking promising as MKC stock waned.

Stil plenty of inventory so maybe some sales to come until full lockdown if/when that happens.

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The important point is that combined sales were increasing, Corsair sales were also  looking promising as MKC stock waned.

Stil plenty of inventory so maybe some sales to come until full lockdown if/when that happens.

Yup, you're right on all points.

Nautilus is now the oldest SUV product.

Not sure if anyone noticed but Ford has officially combined Explorer and Police Interceptor Utility sales together as one. Makes sense and that will add (on a good year) about 30,000 additional units to the Explorer’s yearly total. It was always silly for them to split them out. But that was more so because of the Taurus and Police Interceptor Sedan.

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

Not sure if anyone noticed but Ford has officially combined Explorer and Police Interceptor Utility sales together as one. Makes sense and that will add (on a good year) about 30,000 additional units to the Explorer’s yearly total. It was always silly for them to split them out. But that was more so because of the Taurus and Police Interceptor Sedan.

Not sure if Ford  has even started delivering PIUs yet.

I heard In February that that PUI rollout was delayed.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Part of me hopes that NG Edge and Nautilus will become like the China 3-row Edge and the US Edge gets reworked as a Crossover, a  replacement For Fusion.

I know that won’t happen exactly but, they could do a lot worse...

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, atomcat68 said:

Isn't this one in front in this picture?

newexplorer.jpg

It looks one, so Ford must be delivering PIUs, the question is how many of the 15,000 of back orders have they filled

In January, Ford was still prioritising civilian Explorer builds but it may have started the PIUs in February

Edited by jpd80

Ford will be in a good position once the Coronavirus hopefully ends.

In the 2nd half of this year, it will launch the F-150, Mustang, Mach E, Bronco, and Bronco Sport.

That ought to allow a market share gain once things get back in order. 

Edited by ausrutherford
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

This is why it sales decreased so much. Even though it has the new grille, isnt it basically the same as the old mkx? Once it gets a full redesign, I think you will see it do better, especially if it gets aviator looks. It would be the sweet spot on size, not too big, not too small.

12 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

This is why it sales decreased so much. Even though it has the new grille, isnt it basically the same as the old mkx? Once it gets a full redesign, I think you will see it do better, especially if it gets aviator looks. It would be the sweet spot on size, not too big, not too small.

Yes it’s exactly the same as my 2016 MKX except the grille and a few minor things.  

4 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Ford will be in a good position once the Coronavirus hopefully ends.

In the 2nd half of this year, it will launch the F-150, Mustang, Mach E, Bronco, and Bronco Sport.

That ought to allow a market share gain once things get back in order. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if Bronco gets delayed to early 2021 due to Covid-19. Fuzzie may have some insight. 

50 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Bronco gets delayed to early 2021 due to Covid-19. Fuzzie may have some insight. 

I do not, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to share it. 

I do not ,however, (IN MY OWN OPINION) see how it stays on schedule at this point. The longer this drags on, the more likely it is we don't start even building preproduction units until after Labor Day. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 4:46 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I do not, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to share it. 

I do not ,however, (IN MY OWN OPINION) see how it stays on schedule at this point. The longer this drags on, the more likely it is we don't start even building preproduction units until after Labor Day. 

It’s sounding like 2020 will be a write off for lots of new products, there’s no guarantee that buyers will go new vehicle  shopping this year, so the outlook  for new vehicles is bleak unless the government has a stimulus package to encourage buyers to go spend.

Edited by jpd80

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It’s sounding like 2020 will be a write off for lots of new products, there’s no guarantee that buyers will go new vehicle  shopping this year, so the outlook  for new vehicles is bleak unless the government has a stimulus package to encourage buyers to go spend.

Something like this?

I certainly hope they don't try cash for clunkers again... it will destroy the used car market, drive up used-car prices for low income buyers and kill a lot of good cars in the process.

If they want to do some kind of stimulus, fine? Maaybe? I just hope it's not C4C.

16 minutes ago, probowler said:

Something like this?

I certainly hope they don't try cash for clunkers again... it will destroy the used car market, drive up used-car prices for low income buyers and kill a lot of good cars in the process.

If they want to do some kind of stimulus, fine? Maaybe? I just hope it's not C4C.

Something like this you say?

Well, I'm thinking much, much worse where sales just don't come back at all.

C4C is something Ford is talking about internally but I think that they're going to need something much simpler.

Good old fashioned Detroit pump and dump into retail with big incentives to move the lot, make it all about sales

to lift business activity for Ford and dealers as well as servicing.

Edited by jpd80

You think it's that bad for the automakers huh?  The sales will come back sooner or later... the trick is surviving until then, especially if later becomes real later.

I wouldn't mind seeing the states and feds do something here, perhaps making vehicle purchases tax-free? Or maybe even adding a small federal tax deduction on new vehicle purchases.

2 hours ago, probowler said:

You think it's that bad for the automakers huh?  The sales will come back sooner or later... the trick is surviving until then, especially if later becomes real later.

I wouldn't mind seeing the states and feds do something here, perhaps making vehicle purchases tax-free? Or maybe even adding a small federal tax deduction on new vehicle purchases.

You might be onto something there, but the left won't allow it. Gas powered cars climate change something something.... 

• Like 3