Ford 1st Quarter Sales

I look at relative performance.

For some reason the Ford data has yet to be uploaded on goodcarbadcar, but since we know we're down by 12.5%, we know exactly where we stand.

It's mediocre overall. Nissan has been on a free fall more than Ford ever since Ghosn was out. Among the big-volume automakers, it appears Ford only fared better than Honda and Nissan, and behind everyone else including GM and FCA for the sales percentage decline.

A random detail I'm surprised to see is Subaru selling more than VW group (including Audi) in US.

image.png.b9b20ce181677307b041248d7b4dfdbc.png

Source: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-auto-sales-figures-by-manufacturer/

Edited by dlghtjr90
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dlghtjr90 said:

I look at relative performance.

For some reason the Ford data has yet to be uploaded on goodcarbadcar, but since we know we're down by 12.5%, we know exactly where we stand.

It's mediocre overall. Nissan has been on a free fall more than Ford ever since Ghosn was out. Among the big-volume automakers, it appears Ford only fared better than Honda and Nissan, and behind everyone else including GM and FCA for the sales percentage decline.

A random detail I'm surprised to see is Subaru selling more than VW group (including Audi) in US.

image.png.b9b20ce181677307b041248d7b4dfdbc.png

Source: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-auto-sales-figures-by-manufacturer/

Thank you dlghtjr90 sir for sharing this data from goodcarbadcar. Interesting to see GM widen its lead over everyone else in Q1 2020.

https://www.motor1.com/news/408234/best-selling-cars-2020/

according to this, rav4 is up 16.5%, compared to the escape being down 20.7%. The rogue was down 36.3%, the crv was down 18.4%, and the equinox down 17%.

escape = 48,117 (-20.7)

rogue = 59,716 (-36.3)

crv = 71,186 (-18.4)

Equinox = 73,453 (-17)

rav4 = 97,631 (+16.5)

Pretty interesting numbers here. Rav4 outsold the escape more than 2 to 1 in the quarter. 

Edited by T-dubz
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Fordowner said:

Chamblee Georgia Police have a 2020 Explorer doing patrols.  They've been using them since Day 1 so they have all 3 versions of the Explorer PIU's on the road. 

I will have to keep a look out for them SB on Peachtree Industrial right before 285!!!  They are always there....

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/408234/best-selling-cars-2020/

according to this, rav4 is up 16.5%, compared to the escape being down 20.7%. The rogue was down 36.3%, the crv was down 18.4%, and the equinox down 17%.

escape = 48,117 (-20.7)

rogue = 59,716 (-36.3)

crv = 71,186 (-18.4)

Equinox = 73,453 (-17)

rav4 = 97,631 (+16.5)

Pretty interesting numbers here. Rav4 outsold the escape more than 2 to 1 in the quarter. 

Thank you T-dubz sir, this is good info. Even more impressive for RAV4 is that the hybrid version comprised a quarter of all Q1 2020 RAV4 sales. RAV4 Hybrid actually outsold Toyota Tundra for the quarter!

2 hours ago, kyle said:

I will have to keep a look out for them SB on Peachtree Industrial right before 285!!!  They are always there....

Can you stop at Pattons meat market and get me some bone in pork butts and extra thick bone in pork chops?   The butcher shops around Canton suck!

Just for curiosity if someone wishes to take the time... Deciphering Fusion/Escape together, or Camry and Rav4 together, in other words, are the gains on the Rav4 or even CRV because there's a drop in their sedan counterpart (via pricepoint though, not platform mate)...? Are people flocking to the crossover while their sedan cousins are suffering?

1 hour ago, ANTAUS said:

Just for curiosity if someone wishes to take the time... Deciphering Fusion/Escape together, or Camry and Rav4 together, in other words, are the gains on the Rav4 or even CRV because there's a drop in their sedan counterpart (via pricepoint though, not platform mate)...? Are people flocking to the crossover while their sedan cousins are suffering?

U.S. Sales volume, 1Q 2020.

• Fusion + Escape, total sales 85,034. Down 17% from 2019.
  • Camry + RAV4, total sales 174,819. Up 5.6% from 2019.
  • Accord + CR-V, total sales 118,311. Down 22% from 2019.
  • Thanks 1

Honda's lineup is one notch below fords in the "nothing fun available"....yet they ( honda) are still hanging in there......ford issue is 2 fold - they moved up in price and landed squarely in geriatic demographics and marketing utterly missed the data on who was buying ford products and why....i expect more erosion of fords market share going forth....not one dam fun vehicle outside of the stang and they have priced that accordingly to land right smack into the blue hair buyers and there ability to afford it...nothing fun at far lower price points...so, again we go across the street to the fun offerings the foreign guys have...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

U.S. Sales volume, 1Q 2020.

• Fusion + Escape, total sales 85,034. Down 17% from 2019.
  • Camry + RAV4, total sales 174,819. Up 5.6% from 2019.
  • Accord + CR-V, total sales 118,311. Down 22% from 2019.

Interesting stat... Ford is only half the size of Toyota. I think would be more informative if we compare to 2018 or 2017 because the paradigm shift from sedan to CUV was well underway by 2019. The hypothesis being that Ford's CUV are not retaining its sedan owners - i.e Fusion is falling a lot more than Escape is picking up

Also look at Focus + EcoSport vs. Corolla + CH-R vs. Civic + HR-V... The lower end of the market is going to be a lot more revealing than the middle I think. 

Edited by bzcat

9 hours ago, snooter said:

marketing utterly missed the data on who was buying ford products and why....i expect more erosion of fords market share going forth....

Yes sir snooter. Ford buyers tend to be loyalists who already own a Ford vehicle. This is a good thing in that it's easier to sell to an existing customer than to get a conquest customer.

While the last thing Ford needs right now is growth, there is the long term concern that the number of Ford loyalists is shrinking. And as you correctly said, more erosion of Ford's market share is likely. Maybe Ford's new BEV products like Mustang Mach-E will finally change that. Remains to be seen.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2020 at 12:21 AM, blwnsmoke said:

Q1 2020 is 56,000 Explorers.  Q1 2019 is 63,000 explorers.  How is this a 10% increase when they sold 7,000 less then the previous year in the same time period?  

What am I missing?

Retail sale increased by 10.5%, however overall sales decreased by -9.1%

• Thanks 1

All of Q1 sales data is now academic as we go into unchartered waters with so many  (6 million) applying for unemployment.

It will be interesting to see if sales slide in unison or if some brands suffer greater losses than others.

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

All of Q1 sales data is now academic as we go into unchartered waters with so many  (6 million) applying for unemployment.

It will be interesting to see if sales slide in unison or if some brands suffer greater losses than others.

Definitely interesting to think about. Millions unemployed, lots of others with hours being cut back, no one driving due to stay at home orders, and super cheap gas (I saw 99 cents a gallon today) will all make for an unpredictable Q2 and beyond. Will we see a bigger dip in electric and hybrid vehicles with gas being so cheap? Will the sedans make a comeback with their lower price? How will the truck market react? Cheap gas usually helps trucks but since they are pretty expensive, will customers be reluctant to spend that kind of money? There’s so many ways this could all play out.

On 4/3/2020 at 7:25 AM, snooter said:

The decline of escape means nothing if the atp is such that ford does not need to move volume (one could argue market share is of more value)...problem is atp is at such a level that ford shortcutted itself....substandard interiors when the guys next door were willing to upgrade and price point product with razor thin profit,  and have the volume to make money..ford cannot do that as they do not have the marketshare (volume) or the brand loyalty..in strong economy atp will work....what we are going thru shows the con to the atp profit/business model....its come to the point the atp crowd does need to scream when rebates are applied to certain models...simply not enuff product can be moved to sustain profit when large rebates are given....other guys are not bound by such a business choice at this time....fairly telling where ford sits financially and the reach out to vw

The issue at Ford is way beyond just focusing on ATP, it's Jim Hackett's preoccupation with that 10% return on revenue.

Right or wrong, Ford is dropping all the vehicles with lower returns like about 5% in order to boost % return on  the remaining income.

What that means is whole segments of affordable vehicles and base models are going away, replaced by more expensive entry points.

While sales take an absolute battering, the execs will hold fast on achieving higher % return on fewer builds and lower revenue numbers.

I'm not sure how this works if competitors are already out pointing Ford on combined sales of compact and mid sized utilities, occupying

all those sales (buyers) are already locking up a lot of the potential sales growth.

On the other hand, a 30% increase in retail sales for Explorer even with a 9% reduction in sales is interesting when 

completely offset by 5,666 sales of new Aviators over at Lincoln. I think Ford will gladly take the win on mid sized 

sales. Someone wiser than me can work the math but it looks pretty good for Explorer/Aviator.......

Edited by jpd80
iPhone autotext grammar and spelling

Is the plant in mexico up and running yet? I'm all for ford maximizing ATP, but eventually I'd like them to start gaining back some market share.

It would be great if you could build profitable small cars in mexico as opposed to say China, and I'd imagine you'd save some money on shipping.

2 hours ago, probowler said:

Is the plant in mexico up and running yet? I'm all for ford maximizing ATP, but eventually I'd like them to start gaining back some market share.

It would be great if you could build profitable small cars in mexico as opposed to say China, and I'd imagine you'd save some money on shipping.

No. All of North America is shut down right now. Rawsonville parts will be starting up a line to build ventilators in about 10 days, and Flat Rock is putting in a line to build respirators in one of the outpost buildings which is supposed to start soon too. Beyond that the restart date for car production is still TBD. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 4:47 AM, rperez817 said:

While the last thing Ford needs right now is growth, there is the long term concern that the number of Ford loyalists is shrinking. And as you correctly said, more erosion of Ford's market share is likely. Maybe Ford's new BEV products like Mustang Mach-E will finally change that. Remains to be seen.

I think Bronco & Bronco Sport will have a lot more potential to create conquest buyers for Ford than the Mach-E. It's a market that Ford abandoned decades ago, and still sells a lot of off-road oriented SUVs. 

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Lol Wishful thinking IMO. 

I see you’ve changed your perception of Ford on how they will handle restarting the factories.  A couple of weeks ago, you pointed out that Ford would call workers back sooner rather than later (not an exact quote, but you decided to disagree with my assessment that it was going to be a while, way beyond 4/1).  What happened that changed your mind?

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No. All of North America is shut down right now. Rawsonville parts will be starting up a line to build ventilators in about 10 days, and Flat Rock is putting in a line to build respirators in one of the outpost buildings which is supposed to start soon too. Beyond that the restart date for car production is still TBD. 

Bad choice of words, i meant is construction finished on it? 

The last I heard ford was building a new factory in Mexico then they cancelled it when Trump called them out on it. 

36 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

I see you’ve changed your perception of Ford on how they will handle restarting the factories.  A couple of weeks ago, you pointed out that Ford would call workers back sooner rather than later (not an exact quote, but you decided to disagree with my assessment that it was going to be a while, way beyond 4/1).  What happened that changed your mind?

Stuff that I don't feel comfortable posting about publicly. 

Also the governor of Michigan just extended and enhanced the lockdown order until the end of May, and essentially turned the state into a police state. 

• Sad 1