Lane Centering / Lane Keeping

AUPilot08

So, after a 314 day wait I finally took delivery of my Black Label Aviator Grand Touring this morning. Inspected it from top to bottom before taking the keys and everything looked great; however, after taking it for a couple of spins to get more familiar with the vehicle, I'm beginning to wonder if the lane keeping and lane centering functions are not working properly. For instance, this afternoon I did two 30 min drives in different directions from where I live to experience different types of driving conditions. Both times, when I would initially engage the lane keep/center system the vehicle would lurch to the left and the driver side tires would essentially be on the white/yellow line, then, after a few seconds it seems like it would start working and move its way back over to the middle. After a few minutes of being in the middle it would work its way back over to the driver side lane lines and just sit there or go past them and then the system would throw up a "canceled" message telling me to take the wheel. This behavior never happened to the right - so it wasn't ping ponging between the lines, it would either stay centered or it would go to the left. All that make sense? Anyone have any similar experiences?

Literally everything else about the car is perfect!

Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, AUPilot08 said:

So, after a 314 day wait I finally took delivery of my Black Label Aviator Grand Touring this morning. Inspected it from top to bottom before taking the keys and everything looked great; however, after taking it for a couple of spins to get more familiar with the vehicle, I'm beginning to wonder if the lane keeping and lane centering functions are not working properly. For instance, this afternoon I did two 30 min drives in different directions from where I live to experience different types of driving conditions. Both times, when I would initially engage the lane keep/center system the vehicle would lurch to the left and the driver side tires would essentially be on the white/yellow line, then, after a few seconds it seems like it would start working and move its way back over to the middle. After a few minutes of being in the middle it would work its way back over to the driver side lane lines and just sit there or go past them and then the system would throw up a "canceled" message telling me to take the wheel. This behavior never happened to the right - so it wasn't ping ponging between the lines, it would either stay centered or it would go to the left. All that make sense? Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks for the help.

Mine (gas version) seems to want to overly hug the centreline with the lane centering and I find myself fighting against it. Regular lane keep is unobtrusive though.  I figure the camera needs to be calibrated or something like that. 

1 hour ago, Professor1234 said:

Mine (gas version) seems to want to overly hug the centreline with the lane centering and I find myself fighting against it. Regular lane keep is unobtrusive though.  I figure the camera needs to be calibrated or something like that. 

Yes, this is exactly what it's doing. And it will even go over the center line. 

4 hours ago, AUPilot08 said:

Thanks for the help.

I've had my Aviator GT for 2 months now and use the cruise with lane centering quite regularly.  I've found the lane centering works very well overall and have not experienced what you described.  It sounds like a glitch, I'd take it back to the dealer to check it.  It definitely sounds like the camera behind the rearview mirror needs to be calibrated.

The lane centering on mine does keep the car relatively centered, it does slightly favor the left side of the lane but it steers around gentle curves by itself with ease.  You do have to provide some manual pressure on the wheel every 5-10 seconds or the warning message pops up to put your hands on the wheel.  The only time I got the cancelled message is when I had it on, it was keeping the car centered and I intentionally nudged the wheel a bit to one side to avoid a pothole in the road.  Even on the few times the lane centering got cancelled it automatically reset itself after about 5 seconds or so.

• Like 1

Mine works very well, I use it every day.  Sounds like maybe an alignment calibration.  It does appear to hug the center line, but I dropped the mirror so I could see the lines and it was pretty spot on.  It shows I was hugging the left lane too closely when I'm in control.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BigAl77 said:

Good Afternoon, I have a 2020 Reserve II Gas version and mine is doing the same thing, of course, what has mine not done.

Hi BigAl. Are referring to the post before yours which states "Mine works great but it will cancel for indistinct road markings, narrow lanes, long turn lanes, wide intersections and vehicle speed under 30 while driving( eg 25 mph limits)." Then your Lane Keep/Lane Centering system is working exactly as it should.

If you check your Owners Manual, you will see that it will temporarily turn off during all of those situations. It must be able to see and read lane marker lines to operate and only operates above a certain speed, which I do believe is 30 mph.

Good luck.

I have an update... So, the dealership took a look at the vehicle and determined there was a wheel alignment issue and fixed that. But when the alignment was fixed it didn't also fix my lane centering issue. After a bit more troubleshooting and driving around we determined that the issue was me... I'm left handed.

The lane centering system applies torque to the steering wheel as a way to make sure your hand is always on it. This torque makes the steering wheel turn to the left. This is fine when you're a right handed driver because the weight of your hand counters the torque. When your a left handed driver the pressure from your left hand essentially makes the vehicle always go to the left.

Basically I changed driving hands and the problem was solved. 

21 minutes ago, AUPilot08 said:

I have an update... So, the dealership took a look at the vehicle and determined there was a wheel alignment issue and fixed that. But when the alignment was fixed it didn't also fix my lane centering issue. After a bit more troubleshooting and driving around we determined that the issue was me... I'm left handed.

The lane centering system applies torque to the steering wheel as a way to make sure your hand is always on it. This torque makes the steering wheel turn to the left. This is fine when you're a right handed driver because the weight of your hand counters the torque. When your a left handed driver the pressure from your left hand essentially makes the vehicle always go to the left.

Basically I changed driving hands and the problem was solved. 

Huh. Maybe that’s my issue as well.... I’m a lefty too (not politically though) so I’ll have to test the theory. 

hey, at least they gave ‘us’ the voice command button!

41 minutes ago, Professor1234 said:

Huh. Maybe that’s my issue as well.... I’m a lefty too (not politically though) so I’ll have to test the theory. 

hey, at least they gave ‘us’ the voice command button!

Hopefully switching hands works for you as well. I was very annoyed by it initially but now I'm getting comfortable with it. 

Ideally, if this is how they plan on implementing assistance systems, they should make a toggle for right or left handed people.