1993 F150 Inline 6

DonnyHacker

Why 93 specifically? They were essentially the same from 92 to 96. The later trucks getting OBD2 "lite", MAF's and driver's airbags. 

The six itself was pretty reliable. Typical sixes weep oil from the valve cover, lifter cover and pan. They need tune ups every 30k or so, even if you use "100k mile" plugs. Just do Motorcraft coppers and gap them properly. They run the best and last about as long. There is NO gain from whiz-bang wires. Run Motorcraft if available. IF it has ever been overheated, the long head on the six can crack. Use a 194 degree t-stat, not the shitty 180s or 160s. The PCM sees it as warmup mode and will throw more fuel at it. TFI Ignition modules were an issue for ANY Ford of that era. With 25 year old engine controls, be prepared for failures. Be sure to buy good quality replacements (Motorcraft if possible) as a lot of aftermarket parts are VERY sub standard. If it is a dual fuel tank, it can have cross flow issues, but they are not hard to diagnose if you know what you are doing. A lot of PCM's are showing their age. Be sure to remove it and take the cover off to see if the Capacitors are leaking. IF they are and it still runs ok, you can have about anyone who can solder install new ones.    

The E4OD auto was a pile Needs aftermarket help to make it reliable and tolerable as a daily. T/R sensors are an issue. The C6 was better, but only 3 speed. There were two 5 speeds. The ZF5 and the M5OD. Both could have issues with the slave cylinder. The M5OD's reverse ratio was REALLY high. Auto hublocks are turds and should be converted to manuals ASAP. Lots of "kits" to do so.  

If you live in a rust belt state, be sure to check the small bolts that hold the bumper to the brackets. NOT the brackets to the frame. It is not fun to drive over your own bumper when they rust off.  

I just happened to find a '93 near me that works with my budget and appears relatively clean. I can generally do my own work, so that's not a big deal. I'm not sure which transmission it has, all I know at this point is that it has the inline six (it's an XLT extended cab if that makes a difference). I'll get more information about it in the next couple of days. 

Thanks!