Turbo wastegate rattle?

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, vipersinu2 said:

I brought truck down to dealer,

They stated that 3 have 3 bran new raptors making the same noise and they dont know where the nose is coming from. 

On an aviation forum I'm on, a guy has a Raptor. He says his new Raptor and our new Navigators should have the new, redesigned phasers that fix the problem of the plastic pin failing. 

This thing is a head scratcher. 

So the dealership picked up the truck this morning.

I went by about 3pm to see what is going on. I seen the truck in the bay. I asked the technician what he found.

He stated he was waiting for cold start tomorrow 

I  asked if I can show him the rattle. 

I started the truck and reved it up. The tech heard the rattle and went right to the wastegate and disconnected the electrical connector and the rattle stopped.

For sure we know its the turbo.

Now the waiting game to see why and what the fix is.

• Like 1

Black Label,

Do you think its the turbos?

I have read in the raptor forum,

That a few guys got both turbos replaced and they have not had a problem scince. I am wondering if we got a bad batch of turbos?

Are you going to address that noise with the dealer on your next service?

14 minutes ago, vipersinu2 said:

Black Label,

Do you think its the turbos?

I have read in the raptor forum,

That a few guys got both turbos replaced and they have not had a problem scince. I am wondering if we got a bad batch of turbos?

Are you going to address that noise with the dealer on your next service?

I don't hear it normally. I was only listening to see if mine sounds similar. It was either on this forum or over on the Lincoln forum where the same issue was asked about. I have listened a few times on cold starts. Always sounds the same. I'm guessing it is just a normal sound until something happens that makes the noise go away. I was not planning on having it addressed because I don't think it's an issue for me. Does yours stop right around a minute?

On my truck, for sure I had excessive waste gate rattle.

Once the tech unplugged the electrical connector the rattling went away.

This will show you whats happening.

Odd the turbos are failing so quickly.

Edited by vipersinu2

Yes, I think I posted that video somewhere else. Mine is brand new. I don't have the rattle he shows on the deceleration. When Brian starts up the vehicle after the turbo replacement is what mine sounds like. He has worked on my Expedition btw. 

What happens at the dealership when other Navigators are starts, or have they done that for a comparison? Did you get the P0299 code he mentions?