Ford rediscovers 1966 Mustang mid-engine concept

Love the floor stand ash trays near the front of the car in the first picture....we had similar ash trays at my dad's TV store in the 70's ans 80's so smokers had a convenient spot to put their cigarette and ashes while shopping for a TV. My job as to wash out and clean them every night.... 

12 hours ago, twintornados said:

Love the floor stand ash trays near the front of the car in the first picture....we had similar ash trays at my dad's TV store in the 70's ans 80's so smokers had a convenient spot to put their cigarette and ashes while shopping for a TV. My job as to wash out and clean them every night.... 

I wonder how many people in my old building know what the four mortared-over holes in the brickwork next to each stairwell door were originally used for. The building was built in '75-ish, and the buildings were all declared smoke-free in '90 or so, so by the time I retired, those ash trays had been gone longer than they'd been in use...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LSchicago said:

Pretty sure this was a development Mule for the 1967 Mach 2 concept car. The front end structure is already curved down. Back end shortened. Probably early on in the rebody process.

You should contact Ford:  From the article:

"Because Ford doesn't have other information on the car, it's asking the wider world for help. If you have information about this car, send it to ClubHub@Ford.com. And if you can solve this mystery, Ford says it will provide a reward."

40 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Hard to believe Ford doesn't have some sort of annuitants newspaper?  How about it Olwiz?  

I would  think there should be quite a few people who would have worked on this.

It may have been a skunkworks project with only a few people working on it.  It's also been 54 years.  I'd guess that anybody who did work on it have long since retired.  Some (all?) may have passed away too.

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

It may have been a skunkworks project with only a few people working on it.  It's also been 54 years.  I'd guess that anybody who did work on it have long since retired.  Some (all?) may have passed away too.

Yeah, if you were fresh out of college working on this, you'd be in your mid 70s now. The guys who really knew what was happening would be quite a bit older, if they're even still alive.

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

Yeah, if you were fresh out of college working on this, you'd be in your mid 70s now. The guys who really knew what was happening would be quite a bit older, if they're even still alive.

Yeah guys-I'm putting it in my timeframe-sad to say your numbers are very true.  ?

Mystery solved!  It is an early version of the mid-engine Mach 2 concept car.  Apparently it was an after-hours engineering project done by a small group of engineers and stylists.  Some of the stylists are still alive who identified the car.  Here's the article:

https://jalopnik.com/ford-solves-the-mystery-of-the-mid-motor-mustang-1842795153

• Like 5

On 4/10/2020 at 7:38 PM, mackinaw said:

Mystery solved!  It is an early version of the mid-engine Mach 2 concept car.  Apparently it was an after-hours engineering project done by a small group of engineers and stylists.  Some of the stylists are still alive who identified the car.  Here's the article:

https://jalopnik.com/ford-solves-the-mystery-of-the-mid-motor-mustang-1842795153

I knew it.