New 2020 Aviator Owner, A question about Automatic Lowering and Lighted Greeting

RobAlatte

Hi all!

I am the new owner of a 2020 Lincoln Aviator Black Label with the air suspension. I have a question about it though. I thought when you walk in the vicinity with the phone as a key (iPhone in my case) or the key fob, the lights would come on and greet you along with the vehicle lowering. I have the settings turned on in the menu for the car to lower itself when you walk up to it but the only way this seems to work is if I press the unlock button first. The car rarely automatically turns the lights on or lowers itself. Does this usually only work with the unlock button being pressed?

Lincoln Calls this Approach Detection

https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-suvs/aviator/features/design/

Mine only seems to do this when I press unlock though. Phone as a key works fine when I press the door handle to open and the lights come on.

Edited by RobAlatte

I just took delivery of my BL with air suspension last week. I activated the PAAK at the dealer and have never used the key fob. With PAAK, the vehicle will greet me with the lighting but will not lower if I just walk up to it. If I unlock the vehicle with the app the vehicle will lower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobAlatte said:

Hi all!

I am the new owner of a 2020 Lincoln Aviator Black Label with the air suspension. I have a question about it though. I thought when you walk in the vicinity with the phone as a key (iPhone in my case) or the key fob, the lights would come on and greet you along with the vehicle lowering. I have the settings turned on in the menu for the car to lower itself when you walk up to it but the only way this seems to work is if I press the unlock button first. The car rarely automatically turns the lights on or lowers itself. Does this usually only work with the unlock button being pressed?

Lincoln Calls this Approach Detection

https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-suvs/aviator/features/design/

Mine only seems to do this when I press unlock though. Phone as a key works fine when I press the door handle to open and the lights come on.

Maybe you could return to the dealer with the car and the information you posted, and have them set-up the feature?

Thank you! Settings are correct. Thank you for confirming the unlock to lower, I've found the same. For some reason, in my garage it doesn't do the lighted Lincoln embrace greeting, Ive only owned it a few days now and haven't noticed how this performs out in the wild versus in my garage. It may be a situation where the key fobs and my phone are too close to the vehicle, about 30 feet away or so near my home office.

What a great ride! One of the best driving vehicles I've ever owned

Edited by RobAlatte
  • Like 1

Just now, RobAlatte said:

Thank you! Settings are correct. Thank you for confirming the unlock to lower, I've found the same. For some reason, in my garage it doesn't do the lighted Lincoln embrace greeting, Ive only owned it a few days now and haven't noticed how this performs out in the wild versus in my garage. It may be a situation where the key fobs and my phone are too close to the vehicle, about 30 feet away or so from my home office.

What a great ride! One of the best driving vehicles I've ever owned

I would love for the vehicle to automatically lower when you get close, but I can understand why it doesn't... Turning on the lights definitely doesn't use as much battery as raising and lowering the vehicle if you happen to pass near it without getting in multiple times a day. 

And yes, your keys might be too close to the vehicle. I've noticed that if I hang around my vehicle kind of walk away but then come back, the greeting does not always work. I *think* the greeting only works when the vehicle detects a new connection to your fob or phone so if it never disconnects because your close it probably won't work. My bet is that it's going to work properly out in the wild. If it does, you could invest in some Faraday fabric and line a kitchen or office drawer with it to try block the Bluetooth signals if you really want the feature to work at home. 

10 minutes ago, Black Label said:

But, from the link in the OP and this video review, the car should lower 15mm. It's a Canadian review. It appears the engine doesn't fire up until he gets in. Should be queued up around 4:00. If not, go to that point. 

But we don't know what he actually did. Did he simply walk up to the vehicle, or did he unlock it and walk up to the vehicle? For both my vehicle and the OP's, the vehicle only lowers if you do the latter. The former only triggers the lighting. 

Edited by AUPilot08
  • Like 1

Good question, but he says in the video, "...when you are approaching the car when it is locked...". 

I wonder what the Lincoln Concierge or the dealer would come up with. It seems that unlocking the door as you approach would defeat the purpose of the IAK or PAAK. 

Here is another video. It's in the first 30 seconds. He is talking only PAAK.  Within 10 feet, he says, all these things should occur. Does not say you need to unlock the doors first. 

Sounds like there is something amiss with your Aviators as they should, it seems, be lowering when you are within 10 feet. Of course, there are times when the system will deactivate. That is the second video below. Perhaps some fo these things are occurring to deactivate?

Edited by Black Label

9 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Here is another video. It's in the first 30 seconds. He is talking only PAAK.  Within 10 feet, he says, all these things should occur. Does not say you need to unlock the doors first. 

Sounds like there is something amiss with your Aviators as they should, it seems, be lowering when you are within 10 feet. Of course, there are times when the system will deactivate. That is the second video below. Perhaps some fo these things are occurring to deactivate?

Interesting. 

Just tried it with a key fob too. Same results as PAAK. Calling a concierge now. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Hope y'all get it sorted out. 

Talked with the concierge. She said her understanding is that the vehicle is supposed to lower for any of the following: if you unlock the vehicle, if the key fob is detected, if you use paak, or if you use remote start. 

Right now it only lowers for unlocking and remote start. So we're going to get it looked at by the dealer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUPilot08 said:

Talked with the concierge. She said her understanding is that the vehicle is supposed to lower for any of the following: if you unlock the vehicle, if the key fob is detected, if you use paak, or if you use remote start. 

Right now it only lowers for unlocking and remote start. So we're going to get it looked at by the dealer. 

Cool. Glad to hear you got the answer. Hope the dealer gets it straightened for you and the OP. 

I can confirm everything works as normal. The car senses my phone in the house (phone as a key connected) and must just stop operation until I drive it somewhere else. It works great out in the open and it works the first time I approach the car when at home, but unless I go somewhere, it won't continue to do the greeting or the lowering which has to be on purpose, to conserve battery drain. I would say this is all within the design and operation intended by Lincoln. My car does lower and the lights do their dance when I first return to the car after parking it, but if I don't move the car, it won't continue to do this every time I say hello to it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

Mine works every time as I approach, there are a few angles it doesn't do anything until I get to the door.  One problem I had is my extra remote was hanging just inside the garage and it would pick it up.  Once I moved it to the bedroom, everything worked again.

I just went and did some more testing and it appears to be working properly. I just walked up to it at a different angle than I normally do when home and the lights came on and the vehicle lowered as it is supposed to. Really weird. I'm going to mess around with it a bit more in my spare time. It really is a great vehicle - weird little quirks aside.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 11:48 AM, mustangchief said:

Mine works every time as I approach, there are a few angles it doesn't do anything until I get to the door.  One problem I had is my extra remote was hanging just inside the garage and it would pick it up.  Once I moved it to the bedroom, everything worked again.

How do you set it to lower before getting out after turning the car off?

4 minutes ago, RobAlatte said:

thats a good question, I don't know if you can. You can turn on Easy Entry/Exit but not sure if it lowers until you get out or open the 

I have Easy Entry/Exit turned on but my vertically challenged wife has to slide out because it doesn't lower after shutting down.  That's why I decided to order the running boards.  Should be called Easy Entry/Hard Exit!

1 hour ago, CoolScoop said:

Even our 98 Expedition with the now primitive 4 corner air suspension would lower for exit.  My guess is it doesn't lower fast enough for normal exit times so they just eliminated the exit part.

Oh wow, really? I have an '08 Expy still. If mine does that I never noticed lol.