New 2020 Aviator Owner, A question about Automatic Lowering and Lighted Greeting

RobAlatte

4 hours ago, Black Label said:

Oh wow, really? I have an '08 Expy still. If mine does that I never noticed lol. 

The first Expeditions had an optional 4 corner air suspension system that used air shocks in the front and air springs (bags) instead of coil springs in the back.  The system would squat when off for easy access, go to normal drive height when on, and raise an additional 2 inches when in low range for extra ground clearance.  Our current 09 Expy also has the optional air suspension, but it only has rear air bags that maintain a constant ride height, even when loaded or towing.  The Aviators Dynamic Handling Package is light years ahead of the old Expy systems... so with all that sophistication the question is why does it lower for entry but not for exit.

Edited by CoolScoop

13 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

The first Expeditions had an optional 4 corner air suspension system that used air shocks in the front and air springs (bags) instead of coil springs in the back.  The system would squat when off for easy access, go to normal drive height when on, and raise an additional 2 inches when in low range for extra ground clearance.  Our current 09 Expy also has the optional air suspension, but it only has rear air bags that maintain a constent ride height, even when loaded or towing.  The Aviators Dynamic Handling Package is light years ahead of the old Expy systems... so with all that sophistication the question is why does it lower for entry but not for exit.

Yep, my '08 has air suspension but does not lower. 

Edited by Black Label

I looked everywhere for a setting to automatically lower the air suspension after turning the car off and couldn't find one.  I would love it if mine did that, but I'm guessing that would make too much sense and be a very useful feature which is probably why it was overlooked.  The Easy Entry/Exit is only for driver seat and steering wheel.

On 4/13/2020 at 3:32 PM, pnewby said:

Per the manual the vehicle shuts the feature down if it senses a key fob (or phone) more than twice without a start cycle. If the key is too close this happens frequently. 

This is exactly correct and what my Aviator GT does.

If you have PAAK enabled, the range of the bluetooth on your phone is about 30-40ft so if your vehicle is in the garage or driveway and you are walking around in your house with your phone in your pocket and are within close enough range to the vehicle (even from inside) it will keep triggering the welcome lighting sequence.  If it does this more than 3-4 times it will stop doing it completely and the only way to get any reaction again is to unlock the door by pressing the handle.  When this "welcome override" kicks in it no longer lowers the suspension on approach, most likely because it the welcome sequence is disabled to save battery so it is not even monitoring the proximity and doesn't care how close you are anymore.  If that happens the only way to get the air suspension to lower is to push the unlock button on fob/PAAK.

An interesting twist is that if you approach from the back and open the tailgate it will still automatically lower the back end 4" as soon as the tailgate opens.  I think there is a separate built in logic that it has to lower the back end anytime the tailgate opens regardless if the welcome sequence was cancelled.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:00 PM, Black Label said:

Good question, but he says in the video, "...when you are approaching the car when it is locked...". 

I wonder what the Lincoln Concierge or the dealer would come up with. It seems that unlocking the door as you approach would defeat the purpose of the IAK or PAAK. 

FYI folks, it has to be LOCKED for the walk-up and lower feature to work. Walking up to it when it is UNLOCKED wont activate anything for lowering and the greeting lights. You have to be walking up to a LOCKED vehicle - though, if you press unlock it should then activate the lowering no matter if it is locked or unlocked. So, if it is in your garage UNLOCKED sitting for hours or days, get your key fob or PAAK-activated phone and press the UNLOCK button. Give it about 10 seconds and it will lower. 

18 minutes ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

FYI folks, it has to be LOCKED for the walk-up and lower feature to work. Walking up to it when it is UNLOCKED wont activate anything for lowering and the greeting lights. You have to be walking up to a LOCKED vehicle - though, if you press unlock it should then activate the lowering no matter if it is locked or unlocked. So, if it is in your garage UNLOCKED sitting for hours or days, get your key fob or PAAK-activated phone and press the UNLOCK button. Give it about 10 seconds and it will lower. 

Yes, I think that was my point from the comment you quoted. Must be locked. 

• Like 1