Max A/C

Getting up in the upper 70s here later, I'll try to check. I don't have a tool like that to do an accurate check, but I can say yesterday driving around before you posted this, my a/c seemed to be cold. In fact, I bumped it up a couple degrees in "AUTO" mode. 

Are you thinking they screwed something up during the cam phaser replacement? Also, did you mean to say you had it on max but your wife was uncomfortable?

I called the dealer, The service manager is going to ask the technician if he had to evacuate the A/C system.

Either way, The manager said bring in the truck to look at the rattle and A/C issue.

My wife is always cold and making her side warmer.

With max A/C on she should of been freezing!

So when she said she was comfortable I thought something was wrong. Lol

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, vipersinu2 said:

I called the dealer, The service manager is going to ask the technician if he had to evacuate the A/C system.

Either way, The manager said bring in the truck to look at the rattle and A/C issue.

My wife is always cold and making her side warmer.

With max A/C on she should of been freezing!

So when she said she was comfortable I thought something was wrong. Lol

Okay, gotcha on the wife thing, that makes sense now. 

Glad the dealer is going to get it figgered out for ya. ? I'll be curious to know what you find out. 

Those point and shoot thermometers are only for a larger area.   Our Fluke model can only focus in on about a five inch area.   The laser is to center your measurement but the collection area is much wider.   You are most likely reading the temperatures behind the refrigerant line and it is averaging.   If you want accuracy you should use an RTD or at lease a thermocouple wire.  Wrap it on the low side refrigerant line with tape to you don't get the ambient air.  

I will check what an RTD meter is.

On my mountaineer the low side is really cool to the touch.

The Navigator's low side is cool to the touch, as the mountanieer is very cold to the touch.

I attached photo of the mountaineer low side readings.

20200407_141047.jpg

In the shade at 6pm, it is 80° outside. The truck has been running 20 mins.

I would  say its safe to say blowing cool air between 49° to to 50° out of vents.

Do that seem correct?

I put both thermometers in ice water and calibrated to 32° the electronic meter was showing 34° in the ice water.

I took a picture of all three thermometers and the radio showing the outside temperature.

20200410_181936.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The tech could not remember when he opened the front cover to install the cam phasers if he evuaced the a/c system or not.

For good measure he put his gauges on and found low freon and then leak tested the system somehow and found no leaks. I think I heard him say he vacuumed it down.

He stated the A/C is good now.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:55 AM, vipersinu2 said:

The tech could not remember when he opened the front cover to install the cam phasers if he evuaced the a/c system or not.

For good measure he put his gauges on and found low freon and then leak tested the system somehow and found no leaks. I think I heard him say he vacuumed it down.

He stated the A/C is good now.

Wow. Couldn't remember? I mean, isn't that something that the procedure would tell him to do? Crazy. 

Hopefully it fixed, We really haven't had a hot day yet to test out the system.

Those a/c pipes under the hood aren't super hot or cold. There cool and warm. I dont know of thats something to do with this new type of freon or not.

It was 73° outside and blowing 44° inside. Got to 65 inside. But it was a cool day.

20200507_154034.jpg

20200507_154201_copy_1024x1365.jpg

Edited by vipersinu2