Whipple 7.3L Godzilla Supercharger

I have to admit I didn't think the aftermarket would touch this "truck only" powerplant. Ford did a really good job of packaging with this thing. Probably a better job than anything they have designed since the original smallblock.

It has all the basics covered: reasonably small physical size, lots of displacement, solid internals and decent cylinder heads. It will never flow like a Coyote with 4 valve heads but it has the cubic inches to make usable and reliable power.

5 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

I have to admit I didn't think the aftermarket would touch this "truck only" powerplant. Ford did a really good job of packaging with this thing. Probably a better job than anything they have designed since the original smallblock.

It has all the basics covered: reasonably small physical size, lots of displacement, solid internals and decent cylinder heads. It will never flow like a Coyote with 4 valve heads but it has the cubic inches to make usable and reliable power.

Well I would say  you weren't the only one.  After all, the chief engineer in all the intros continued to stress...."commercial"....".Medium duty truck". And I think plenty of other guys defended Ford's strategy for  breaking from 30 years  of OHC development....room for both, OHC high performance, push  rods for commercial.

12 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well I would say  you weren't the only one.  After all, the chief engineer in all the intros continued to stress...."commercial"....".Medium duty truck". And I think plenty of other guys defended Ford's strategy for  breaking from 30 years  of OHC development....room for both, OHC high performance, push  rods for commercial.

If what we have seen so far in such a short time since its introduction is any indication the 7.3 may have a few performance fans as well. With its smaller width it would be interesting to see how it fits in a late 60s - early 70s Mustang, Fairlane, etc. Can you squeeze it in one of those without all the modifications necessary for a Coyote swap? We already know how it fits in a Fox body. Could also be a great alternative to the LS craze. The greatest issue that will make that unlikely is the limited availability.

• Like 1