2020 Aviator Check Engine Light

rampagex7

Has anyone else had their check engine light come on randomly on their Aviator and then turn off?  

This happened to me last week on my Aviator GT the light came on when turning on the car and the Lincoln app sent an alert on my phone at the same time.  The light went off by itself the next morning.  I couldn't bring it to the dealer to check it out because they are closed because of the ongoing lockdown.  I eventually brought it to my own mechanic who checked the codes with his scanner and the trouble code that came up was "Lost Communication with ECM".   Hopefully just a random electrical glitch but I was curious if it happened to anyone else?

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_2999.PNG

Yes.  It came on three times for me when the charger was hooked up longer than 12 hours.  Probably a software glitch.  It always went away.  I snap a pic and will let the dealer look at it.  Take a pic and save it, so the dealer doesn’t give you the didn’t happen shrug. 

7DB74695-D501-497A-BDD9-7FEBCB29833A.jpeg

Edited by mustangchief

9 hours ago, mustangchief said:

Yes.  It came on three times for me when the charger was hooked up longer than 12 hours.  Probably a software glitch.  It always went away.  I snap a pic and will let the dealer look at it.  Take a pic and save it, so the dealer doesn’t give you the didn’t happen shrug. 

That's interesting I always leave the charger plugged in overnight and unplug in the morning before I leave so mine is usually connected for more than 12 hours (6pm-8:30am) every night.  I didn't think that could be related.  I like having it plugged in for the morning because if you remote start it preheats cabin/seat/wheel nicely while on AC power, it doesn't drain the battery and the engine doesn't come on. 

If it happens again I'll  try unplugging the charger before I go to bed at night so it's not left plugged in overnight and see if it goes away.

I already emailed my service rep at the dealer photos of everything and will bring it up with them when they reopen.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Had another instance of the check engine light coming back on today.  Went to plug in my Aviator to the charger when I got to work this morning it started charging normally and after about 20 minutes I saw the charge port light when solid red everywhere (which is supposed to indicate a charge fault of some kind?) so I unplugged it and left it alone for a few minutes.  I plugged it back in and then it started to charge normally again the lights went blue again and it charged it up to full.

When I left work and turned on the vehicle the check engine light was on solid and the Lincoln app chimed up as well.  Luckily I just recently got one of those BlueDriver Bluetooth OBD scanners so I scanned it myself and came up with several trouble codes U0100 and U0111 which looks like a loss of communication between the ECM and BECM.  (see attached report).

I'll bring it back to the dealer on Monday and let them look at it, maybe there's a loose wire harness on one of the modules or something.  @mustangchief are you still getting the check light coming up on yours?  What happened when you brought yours to the dealer?

scan_2020_10_30_07-27-14.pdf

IMG_3326.JPG

33 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

Did your GPS tracking device installation require a lot of wire splicing?  Could be a bad splice...

Nope, I didn't do any wire splicing at all for the GPS.  I used one of those add-a-fuses (basically a fuse tap) to take 12V+ directly from the fuse box and I tapped into the fuse for either the rain sensor or rear wiper motor (can't remember which).  I got 12V- ground from a nearby mounting bolt that was attached to the frame, just loosened the bolt and put a ring terminal with the ground wire connected to it.

I'm leasing the vehicle so I didn't want anything permanently wired in and that would be easily removable.  Even the GPS itself I just strapped down with velcro so I can pop it out quick if needed.

Edited by rampagex7

It is not storing the code and it was not in the history.  I have changed my charging circuit at the house and haven't had the light for a month now.  It has been in the 30's this week, so I have my departure time set so everything is nice and toasty before I leave.  Previously it was the air, so come to think of it, I have not had the light on cold days.  I also see a 30% reduction in battery efficiency now that it is cold.  I'm sure the seat heat and wheel has a lot to do with that.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 9:48 PM, CoolScoop said:

Did you take it back to the dealer and if so, what did they find?

Yes, when I brought it in the code had already cleared by itself so they really didn't do anything.  They checked it with their scan tools and couldn't find anything wrong with the modules, so they cleared the code from memory.  It has been working fine ever since so I guess it was a momentary glitch.

While I'm sure it's unrelated, I did notice that my Sync 3 software updated itself a couple weeks ago as well.