Ranger gets Ford Performance boost

The kit includes a K&N high-flow drop-in air filter and the equipment needed to upload the new engine and transmission tune. The company claims an extra 45 horsepower at 4,500 rpm and 60 pound-feet of torque at 2,500 rpm. Ford didn't specify if that's at the power and torque peaks, so we reached out for details and will update this post when we hear back. The tune also updates the shift timing and characteristics for the Ranger's 10-speed automatic, apparently giving it "crisper, more precise shifts." This isn't the first engine tune for the Ranger on the market, other companies have released their own, but a perk of the Ford example is that it's legal in all 50 states, yes, even California. It also comes with a 3-year/36,000-mile warranty when installed by a Ford dealer or ASE certified technician.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ford-ranger-gets-extra-power-132500161.html

• Like 3

SPEED MANUAL BRONCO ( now with a flash )….awesome sauce...I did the Mountune on the Fiesta ST and it woke the car up, and much like Fords flash, didn't void the warranty..this is fantastic news for product that has the 2.3 as a powertrain...now WHERES MY 7 SPEED BRONCO ( now with a flash. )

The Mustang GT gets one too:

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/16/2019-ford-ranger-2018-ford-mustang-engine-tune/

The Mustang kit isn't as ground-breaking, as it's basically the same kit for the 2015 to 2017 models, but now available for 2018 to 2020. In addition to the tuning equipment, it comes with a high-flow intake with cone filter, as well as a larger 87-mm throttle body and adapter. Peak horsepower rises from 460 to 479, and peak torque jumps to 438 from 420. The car also sees gains across the rev band, and Ford touts an extra 42 pound-feet of torque at just 2,000 rpm. Just like the Ranger kit, these Mustang parts are 50-state legal and warrantied with certified installers.

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

?...gonna have to explain that one...why?...drivetrain can take it no problem obviously...

Without starting a debate about filter material/oiling, or actual filtering ability, my biggest issue with them is most of their filters simply do not seal the air box correctly. They use hard rubber surrounds, not pliable foam rubber like the O.E. then use tape (which degrades) to make the final seal in some instances. With Ford trying to reduce warranty costs, it just surprises me. 

At least they (Ford) are trying to put some fun back into their boring ass products (next step is garbage interior upgrade)....on the negative side of things KN is the last brand i would ever choose for an air filter...utter garbage.. warranty claims lawsuit is sure to be right around the corner

1 hour ago, YT90SC said:

Without starting a debate about filter material/oiling, or actual filtering ability, my biggest issue with them is most of their filters simply do not seal the air box correctly. They use hard rubber surrounds, not pliable foam rubber like the O.E. then use tape (which degrades) to make the final seal in some instances. With Ford trying to reduce warranty costs, it just surprises me. 

their filters have been the go too for cold air systems, regardless of the OEM, for decades...Ive literally had on on every single car Ive owned with zero issues....I think they have the aftermarket filter market pretty much cornered...Im pretty sure there will be minimal if any warranty issues...

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Sensors (particularly the MAF) on modern cars really don't like K&N filters because they’re presoaked with oil. 

very very lightly...just don't drench...Ive cleaned and re-oiled mine several times...no issues at all....and all the factory Ford Cold Air systems Ive seen look suspiciously like K & N's..

16 hours ago, akirby said:

They have a new line of dry filters that don’t use oil.  That would make more sense.

considering all the eco boost engines would benefit from catch cans...Im quite sure a minute amount of filter oil would do diddly squat...I empty my catch can every 5000 miles...and its quite staggering the amount that would be blown through the engine otherwise...maybe the issue is where the "oil" enters the system...but like Ive said...every Ford Ive ever owned ( and theres been a few ) has had a cold air installed along with the requisite K & N....never had any issues at all..

6 hours ago, Deanh said:

considering all the eco boost engines would benefit from catch cans...Im quite sure a minute amount of filter oil would do diddly squat...I empty my catch can every 5000 miles...and its quite staggering the amount that would be blown through the engine otherwise...maybe the issue is where the "oil" enters the system...but like Ive said...every Ford Ive ever owned ( and theres been a few ) has had a cold air installed along with the requisite K & N....never had any issues at all..

Again, my comments were about their DROP IN filters. Their choice of surround materials simply does not work with Ford's choice in airbox design, especially over time. Plastic air boxes need SOFT foam rubber to seal the perimeter. K&N uses HARD rubber that cannot adequately match the tolerances (or lack of) of the box, or the fact that the plastic eventually warps. They can't use foam rubber because their oil will degrade the soft. 

Their noisemaker kits usually have cone style filters that clamp on, so they usually don't leak around the perimeter like their drop ins. And, at least they got that going for them. 

Never had a single issue with K&N Drop In air filters.  Put them in every Ford car, truck and suv I've owned plus every atv, dirt bike and street bike.  Started that many decades ago, back when K&N ruled.  I normally use the K&N sealing grease on the gasket, but I don't think it's really needed in most cases.  Never had a problem with stressing an airbox lid.  From my life long experiences it doesn't surprise me that Ford chose K&N for the Ranger performance kit... I know why they did it.

Clarification:  I'm not running a K&N on our '10 Fusion Hybrid because it has a lifetime air filter that isn't serviceable or even accessible, lol!

Edited by CoolScoop

18 hours ago, Deanh said:

What type of catch can do you use? Make it yourself? I haven't put one on my truck, but it worries me not having it. Makes me wonder about getting another Ecoboost engine.....except one of the few that added port injection.

Weird. Their website shows the same HARD *RUBBER* surround they have always run. I've replaced a lot of diesel engines and cleaned or replaced a lot of throttle bodies, IAC's and MAF's on gas as a direct result of filtration failures with those products. With manufacturers trying to meet increasingly difficult CAFE, wouldn't they run them from the factory? Does *any* OE?

Run what you want, it's your vehicle and I am not dogging you for wanting to better your vehicle. But remember gentlemen, 5 of 6 people who play Russian roulette never had a problem either. 

CoolScoop, on a side note, some PZEV Focus (NAAO "gen 2" cars) ran the same "lifetime" filter as your Fusion Hybrid and I've seen guys install the serviceable style airbox or fab other filter mounts on the end of the MAF. Those have to be made kind of specifically because the MAF sits so far down in the fender and can easily suck water with an open cone style filter. On the Hybrid because of the Atkinson cycle engine, they also have to have a hydrocarbon catcher, which gen 3 hybrids just have built into the airbox lid. Either way, I *think* I remember that Donaldson built them for Ford, but I could be wrong. 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 3:49 AM, 70 Stang said:

What type of catch can do you use? Make it yourself? I haven't put one on my truck, but it worries me not having it. Makes me wonder about getting another Ecoboost engine.....except one of the few that added port injection.

Mikimoto...works very well...only issue I have is I got the model before they rectified the mounting bracket, pain in the ass to remove...and the reason I got it was all the issues I heard Audis etc had with their DI enhgines...and based on what I empty, the investment was worth it.

• Like 1