No cost diesel option in 21 Escalade

blwnsmoke

interesting....

Pricing for the redesigned 2021 Cadillac Escalade was revealed yesterday, with the various trim levels ranging from $77,490 to $101,290 including $1,295 destination. And while we also learned that all-wheel drive will be a $3,000 option, what's surprising is that the optional 3.0-liter inline-six diesel engine will cost $0, this according to official pricing info released by Cadillac.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/report-diesel-engine-no-cost-154800556.html

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, tbone said:

The take rate will be interesting to see on that engine if it is in fact 0 cost. 

The 3.0L Duramax I6 is an excellent engine. But diesel engines are a lost cause for non-commercial cars, crossovers, and trucks in the U.S. market. Higher cost for diesel fuel vs. gasoline, extra maintenance for the diesel emissions control systems, and the lingering impact of VW Dieselgate suggest the take rate on Duramax will probably be low. I'm thinking 90% or more of U.S. customers for 2021 Escalade will choose the 6.2L V8 gasoline engine (which is excellent too). 

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The 3.0L Duramax I6 is an excellent engine. But diesel engines are a lost cause for non-commercial cars, crossovers, and trucks in the U.S. market. Higher cost for diesel fuel vs. gasoline, extra maintenance for the diesel emissions control systems, and the lingering impact of VW Dieselgate suggest the take rate on Duramax will probably be low. I'm thinking 90% or more of U.S. customers for 2021 Escalade will choose the 6.2L V8 gasoline engine (which is excellent too). 

Superduty 6.7s are 2 to 1(diesel to gas).. so much for a lost cause.  

20 hours ago, akirby said:

And most of those are commercial.  The take rate on half ton diesel trucks is abysmal.

As far as the f150, yes I agree.  As far as the SD, I don't believe that.  Look at all the Lariate Ultimates, Platinum, KR and Limiteds.  Majority are 6.7 and they are not commercial trucks.  

As far as commercial goes, yes I believe majority buy the 6.7 as well.

Now the question is, how much does the 7.3 bite into the 6.7 sales.

39 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

As far as the f150, yes I agree.  As far as the SD, I don't believe that.  Look at all the Lariate Ultimates, Platinum, KR and Limiteds.  Majority are 6.7 and they are not commercial trucks.  

As far as commercial goes, yes I believe majority buy the 6.7 as well.

Now the question is, how much does the 7.3 bite into the 6.7 sales.

He was referring to F-150

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

No he wasn't.  When I only mention the SD with a take rate of 2 to 1 (6.7 vs gas) and he says "most of those are commercial", it certainly didn't mean F150.

OK I see what you're saying.

When I say commercial I mean guys using them for work to pull trailers or haul cargo.  My brother in law and nephew have Lariats and Platinums but they tow a large trailer for work.  They don't have to be XLs.    I know some have them to pull big boats or RVs.   But the main reason to get a SD diesel is for the towing capacity and at least around me it appears that the majority of those are being used for their job not personal use.   And a diesel excursion would definitely be targeted at personal use not commercial.