Compact SUV Battle: Ford vs. Honda vs. Mazda vs. Subaru vs. Toyota vs. VW

May 2020 issue of Car and Driver compared 6 compact crossovers. Escape, CR-V, CX-5, Forester, RAV4, and Tiguan. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a32161895/2020-compact-crossover-comparison/

compact-crossovers-comparo-lead-15871375

compact-crossovers-comparo-scoring-15869

Spec sheet. https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/files/compact-crossovers-comparo-2020-complete-specs-1587391299.pdf

Edited by rperez817
Added spec sheet

So they basically picked the cheaper Escape with base engine compared to the others with more options. Then gave it last place because they thought it was noisy and had a bad interior. Got it! 

If you look at the scoring, it got destroyed in the most subjective scoring. The Mazda with the worst fuel economy and space won the comparo because it's pretty in their opinion and is the best to attack twisty roads. Make sense since that what people buy these for.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

The 2013 Escape and 2011 Explorer both finished dead last in these comparos also......just briefly looked at them.

I sense a certain thrill in the air with those posting these types of articles.

Exactly...seems like a certain person likes being a masochist when it comes to Ford products and only shares bad reviews. 

• Like 3

You could get a Titanium hybrid Escape for $35K - same price as the CR-V and CX-5.

As tested the Escape SE street price is about $28K.  Do they mention that even though the engine is boomy and the interior is cheap that you also save $7K - $12K?  Of course not.  

Did they point out that other drivetrains are available within the same as tested price range of the others with better materials and better engines?  Of course not.

Requiring base engines with no regard for price or trim levels gave Escape no chance.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

As tested the Escape SE street price is about $28K.  Do they mention that even though the engine is boomy and the interior is cheap that you also save $7K - $12K? 

Yes sir. Car and Driver said "The Escape SE wasn't as thoroughly equipped as the other vehicles in this test- the next-step-up SEL trim would have been more appropriate—but that's not what landed it in the basement."

Also, as a result of Escape's as-tested price being lower than the other 5 competitors, Escape got extra points in the "Vehicle" part of the scoring.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. Car and Driver said "The Escape SE wasn't as thoroughly equipped as the other vehicles in this test- the next-step-up SEL trim would have been more appropriate—but that's not what landed it in the basement."

Also, as a result of Escape's as-tested price being lower than the other 5 competitors, Escape got extra points in the "Vehicle" part of the scoring.

They never said "but the Escape is considerably cheaper" or "Escape was $5K cheaper" or "represents a good value for the money" or anything remotely similar to that.  People who didn't bother to look at the spec sheet would never know that it was that much cheaper than the rest.

The reality is, while they had some valid comments (I agree the door panels and especially gauges are cheap), there's also inconsistencies, as has been pointed out.

Gotta love this line:

Based solely on the objective results, the CX-5 would be dead last, but the data doesn't define greatness. It's the subjective categories—its design, interior materials, and driving character—that propel the Mazda into the winner's circle.

In other words, if we decide we like it, we'll make it win, regardless of other factors.  Not saying the CX-5 isn't a great product, but they admitted basically it'd be last if it were for their own subjective opinions.

That said, another way you could look at it - the "Toyota" approach - make it look decent, and not worry about the underneath will get you points.  I'm not implying Mazda did that, the point I'm trying to make is that if you put extra effort into the parts people see, your product will be viewed better, even if there are other shortcomings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Capture.PNG

I've expressed concerns over the new Escape (the door fit on several Escapes I've seen, for example, has been poor), but this test really doesn't give a true comparison of these vehicles. People who cross-shop vehicles tend to know what equipment and trim level they want, so they aren't going to compare an Escape SE to a RAV4 Limited. Any cost savings will not really influence their choice. 

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 2

Who the hell at Ford decided to send C/D a SE? 

CX-5 Grand Touring and CR-V Touring are comparable to Escape Titanium. 

MSRP (FWD): $25k--$27k--$29k--$33k [AWD is roughly $2k more across the board for everyone except Subaru which has AWD standard]

EscapeS--SE--SEL--Titanium

CX-5: n/a--Sport--Touring--Grand Touring (There is a Signature trim level that starts at $38k)

Tiguan: S--SE--SE R Line--SEL (there is a SEL Premium that starts at $38k)

CR-V: LX--EX--EX L--Touring

RAV4: LE--XLE--XLE Premium--Limited (there is a TRD Offroad that starts at $35k)

Forester: Base--Premium--Sport--Limited

But honestly, I'm not sure that would have changed very much. I think C/D has it right... this car was built to a price point, not built to impress.

In this talented group, everything counts, and the Escape's interior design and materials are uninspired and inconsistent. Some areas, such as the instrument panel and tablet-style infotainment screen, look like high-quality pieces, but others come off as chintzy: The door-trim panels are spare, hard plastic surfaces abound, and even the gauges look cheap.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

They could have sent a SE Sport Hybrid, or Titanium. Both would have fixed the complaints about the I3 engine and Both would have fixed the issue with the gauges. Ford problem of late is not having the right press cars around. Not sure who manages that but they need to be fired, they shouldn’t be sending preproduction vehicles to tests and need to be screened for problems ahead of time.

Escape is also getting upgraded trim material changes for the 2021 model year and Bronco and Bronco Sport interior materials have been updated before launch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

They could have sent a SE Sport Hybrid, or Titanium. Both would have fixed the complaints about the I3 engine and Both would have fixed the issue with the gauges. Ford problem of late is not having the right press cars around. Not sure who manages that but they need to be fired, they shouldn’t be sending preproduction vehicles to tests and need to be screened for problems ahead of time. 

Not allowed.  They specifically requested models with the BASE ENGINE.

Since we wanted the outcome to be as family friendly (read: financially responsible) as possible, we asked the manufacturers on the invite list to supply base engines and all-wheel drive. 

If the goal was really to be “family friendly” with regards to price they would have set a price cap and not allowed top level trims with base engines.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, akirby said:

You could get a Titanium hybrid Escape for $35K - same price as the CR-V and CX-5.

As tested the Escape SE street price is about $28K.  Do they mention that even though the engine is boomy and the interior is cheap that you also save $7K - $12K?  Of course not.  

Did they point out that other drivetrains are available within the same as tested price range of the others with better materials and better engines?  Of course not.

Requiring base engines with no regard for price or trim levels gave Escape no chance.

And this is why Ford doesn't pay for their '_____ of the year' awards 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

That said, another way you could look at it - the "Toyota" approach - make it look decent, and not worry about the underneath will get you points.  I'm not implying Mazda did that, the point I'm trying to make is that if you put extra effort into the parts people see, your product will be viewed better, even if there are other shortcomings.

But then again Toyota does have part ownership in Mazda now so undoubtably some of that culture has trickled over to them. 

This review backs up everything I’ve said about my experience with the escape, so I don’t think they are being unnecessarily harsh on ford. I don’t think going up to an SEL would have made a difference either. I agree mostly with everything in this review (can’t comment on the VW or Subaru since I’ve never been in one), but I’d place all the others in the order that CD had them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Not allowed.  They specifically requested models with the BASE ENGINE.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

If the goal was really to be “family friendly” with regards to price they would have set a price cap and not allowed top level trims with base engines.

Well the base engine in the SE Sport is the Hybrid and 2.0l is standard on the titanium. However it’s not like this matters with their “subjective” score. For all the small issues with trim and fit and finish they say how small the cargo area is then pick the vehicle with the smallest cargo area. The amenities score would have been considerably higher with a higher trim. They need to give price points and allow manufacturers to submit vehicles that meet that threshold. It also shows why these magazines are irrelevant to the majority of car buying population. CR for all its faults at least has some basic scientific methods  for scoring. 

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

all because some some NVH that the average consumer most likely won't even notice. 

Only if the average consumer is afflicted with hearing loss and numbness. Normal people will definitely notice noise and vibration when test driving a 3-cylinder Ford Escape. Car and Driver said the engine NVH is so pronounced "you'd swear you were being tailed by a low-flying chopper" and that "it makes you wish for earplugs".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Only if the average consumer is afflicted with hearing loss and numbness. Normal people will definitely notice noise and vibration when test driving a 3-cylinder Ford Escape. Car and Driver said the engine NVH is so pronounced "you'd swear you were being tailed by a low-flying chopper" and that "it makes you wish for earplugs".

So spend an extra $3k for the SE sport and you fix all that PLUS get even better mpg and performance and you’re STILL $3k less than the competition.

The only people buying a 1.5LSE are people who want the absolute cheapest vehicle or people who don’t care about the engine and it’s drawbacks.

• Like 2

Is anyone actually surprised the Escape came in last? We know it's just not that good. We've talked about it since it's release. 

Sidenote: Just looking at the interior compared to the rest speaks volume of how much effort was put in this. I don't get it. If I were a part of this company other than being a fan, it's no way in hell I would've released the Escape as it is.
It's not bad but it just doesn't stack up to the rest in it's class in design (subjective) or quality. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

So spend an extra $3k for the SE sport and you fix all that PLUS get even better mpg and performance

Yes sir, SE Sport Hybrid is the sweet spot in the 2020 Escape lineup. The reduced engine NVH alone in that version compared to 3-cylinder SE is more than worth the extra money. Better fuel economy and performance become icing on the cake.

Escape SE Sport Hybrid won a previous Car and Driver comparison test against Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29878756/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-vs-2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid/

It would be nice to see a comparison between those 2 and the new CR-V Hybrid.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1