Water Spots After Washing

Maybe this isn't the best sub forum for this, but the 2 times I have washed my Navigator, I get water spots that are nearly impossible to remove. Yesterday, I washed it in the sun, which was stupid, but it was a cool, morning sun. I kept the windows wet and rinsed as I did the vehicle. I have never had that issue where windows spotted up so badly, and I grew up in Fort Worth, a hot climate.  After all, if a vehicle is outside in the warm months and it rains, then the sun comes out, are we to expect that we end up with permanent water spots?

I tried Windex and one of those aerosol can foaming glass cleaners. Microfiber cloths only. Nothing. What ended up getting the spots out was Dawn detergent and water. Oh, same problem on most of the chrome as well. 

The 2 or 3 dealer washes I have had, they get the windows spotless. Am I relegated to always being in the shade or in my garage to wash the truck? Anyone else ever have this problem or am I the only one who washes my own truck sometimes lol?

Thank you!

Just FYI you can use barkeepers friend powder on glass (comet too I think but not 100% sure) to remove stubborn stains and oily films.   Works great and won't scratch the glass.

Mr. Clean used to have a nozzle attachment that provided soft water for the final rinse - that eliminates any spotting.   You can also just put in a filter system in the garage if you have the room and access to soften the water.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

Just FYI you can use barkeepers friend powder on glass (comet too I think but not 100% sure) to remove stubborn stains and oily films.   Works great and won't scratch the glass.

Mr. Clean used to have a nozzle attachment that provided soft water for the final rinse - that eliminates any spotting.   You can also just put in a filter system in the garage if you have the room and access to soften the water.

Okay, so I pulled up a video from my Google Fu with a guy touting the liquid BKF. I called one of  the Lincoln dealers who had washed my car. He said he is not a detailer but didn't recommend foreign products like BKF. Probably telling me that for liability purposes. My concern is with the HUD and if there is any special coating on the Navigator windshield. Obviously the other windows would be no problem. 

To my original question, though, it just seems odd how susceptible these Nav windows are to spotting. More than any vehicle I have had, I guess I'll just always have to be in the shade. 

Could it be your water source?  I wash my own from time to time and haven’t had this issue at all, I just dry with a Chemical Guys drying towel. The only time I specifically do the windows is when I need to clean the inside... there is some video floating around that has a good process, it involves a magic eraser but I only use it on the windshield as my other glass has tint.

4 hours ago, boredinbirmingham said:

Could it be your water source?  I wash my own from time to time and haven’t had this issue at all, I just dry with a Chemical Guys drying towel. The only time I specifically do the windows is when I need to clean the inside... there is some video floating around that has a good process, it involves a magic eraser but I only use it on the windshield as my other glass has tint.

We have Lake Michigan water. I am not aware that it is particularly hard, but it may be. I have washed cars around here in the past and done it in cool sun and had no issues like I experienced with the Navigator several days ago. I have 3 Chemical Guys towels on the way. 

I'll try to get a pic and pos it, but I have noticed when the windshield is wet, and you wipe it, there appears to be some sort of circular looking logos or something that are in the windshield. I wonder if there is some sort of costing having to do with the HUD and the infra red coating or whatever it is that is discussed when talking about mounting a toll road transponder. The specific hashed area, and I have seen elsewhere that the windshield is hight tech. 

2 hours ago, Black Label said:

We have Lake Michigan water. I am not aware that it is particularly hard, but it may be. I have washed cars around here in the past and done it in cool sun and had no issues like I experienced with the Navigator several days ago. I have 3 Chemical Guys towels on the way. 

I'll try to get a pic and pos it, but I have noticed when the windshield is wet, and you wipe it, there appears to be some sort of circular looking logos or something that are in the windshield. I wonder if there is some sort of costing having to do with the HUD and the infra red coating or whatever it is that is discussed when talking about mounting a toll road transponder. The specific hashed area, and I have seen elsewhere that the windshield is hight tech. 

FYI - At the very end of this

https://owner.lincoln.com/support/how-tos/interior/dashboard/using-the-head-up-display-feature.html#

they comment implying there is an infrared filter in the windshield that interferes with toll tags, etc.  My experience with my 2018 Navigator (with HUD) there is NO location on the windshield on which my toll tag (NTTA) will work.
 I believe the special heat blocking and/or HUD support properties of these windshields are embedded within and not in surface coatings so should not be the cause of your spotting issues.

In my younger years I washed my cars and used chamois skins to do wipe down after rinsing, especially on all the glass (windows, mirrors, lights) to avoid spotting.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, Black Label said:

Maybe this isn't the best sub forum for this, but the 2 times I have washed my Navigator, I get water spots that are nearly impossible to remove. Yesterday, I washed it in the sun, which was stupid, but it was a cool, morning sun. I kept the windows wet and rinsed as I did the vehicle. I have never had that issue where windows spotted up so badly, and I grew up in Fort Worth, a hot climate.  After all, if a vehicle is outside in the warm months and it rains, then the sun comes out, are we to expect that we end up with permanent water spots?

I tried Windex and one of those aerosol can foaming glass cleaners. Microfiber cloths only. Nothing. What ended up getting the spots out was Dawn detergent and water. Oh, same problem on most of the chrome as well. 

The 2 or 3 dealer washes I have had, they get the windows spotless. Am I relegated to always being in the shade or in my garage to wash the truck? Anyone else ever have this problem or am I the only one who washes my own truck sometimes lol?

Thank you!

I think it's best you wash it in the shade. However I recommend checking your Microfibre Cloth Make sure your using one for washing and ANOTHER Seperate one fro Drying.  Rinse,  Clean Solution, then Rinse Again , then a new Clean Microfiber dry.  When your drying only dry in horizontal and vertical direction make a clean streak do not swirl I repeat "DO NOT SWIRL DRY or do any circular motion!" you will get spots especially easy that way. Process is a big part of cleaning the car correctly. I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Black Label,

I found great washing and detailing tips from Apex. His videos are informative. He also test and proves what soap and waxes work.

Its neat when he gets the blow torch out to test the durability of the products. 

I now use eagle one products b/c of his videos.

Edited by vipersinu2
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I can relate to this problem dude! Any time I actually tried to wash my mustang by myself, I would always get those stupid spots! I really hate them actually, but what is really interesting, any time I get the car to the dealer washes, it is perfect, and I am actually trying to use the same solutions and do everything in the same way! I guess I will go to the https://www.newportnewsmobiledetailing.com/ detailing center, and maybe they would be able to help me with this ... issue, I guess. I just do no understand how and why those spots keep on appearing.

Edited by Ireul
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, Black Label said:

https://crspotless.com/

I used to get bad water spotting all over our cars due to the towns hard water.  To minimize it I had to wash them in the evening shade, keep them wet until finished, then dry them quickly with several towels.  Since purchasing this system I wash them way more often because I no longer have to dry them... just wash and rinse, with no water spots!  Its pricey, but its been worth every penny for what it saves in time and aggravation.

Also, the special coating for the HUD isn't on the outside of the windshield.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

https://crspotless.com/

I used to get bad water spotting all over our cars due to the towns hard water.  To minimize it I had to wash them in the evening shade, keep them wet until finished, then dry them quickly with several towels.  Since purchasing this system I wash them way more often because I no longer have to dry them... just wash and rinse, with no water spots!  Its pricey, but its been worth every penny for what it saves in time and aggravation.

Also, the special coating for the HUD isn't on the outside of the windshield.

Cool! Thanks I’ll check that out!