No Escape ST planned

On 4/26/2020 at 1:03 PM, silvrsvt said:

Forgot that the Ti models went that high-which is another reason why a $39k Escape ST would be a non starter. Just look at the Fusion Sport-never a big seller and it was around the same price. I think the sub $40k market isn’t conducive to a sporty product that can make money, because the Escape is sold more or less at a price point around $30k. The Bronco Sport should hopefully push that higher because of the cashe will help push pricing higher because of its bigger brother. 

I’d rather see them offer an Escape Sport model with a better suspension and some different wheels and styling. Make it a $2-3500 markup and it should sell decently and keep margins up. 

An Escape Sport with sport suspension and the 2.0 EB/auto with paddle shifters would be good enough for most people.

11 hours ago, AGR said:

An Escape Sport with sport suspension and the 2.0 EB/auto with paddle shifters would be good enough for most people.

The thing is that alot of people don't know how powerful even the last gen 2.0L ecoboost is in the Escape-My parents have a 13 Ti FWD that chirps the tires no problem and my wife's 2017 AWD has no issues accelerating or dealing with traffic on the highway. 

I just wonder how much suspension tuning there is that can be done to improve the ride without compromising comfort with it. 

I still see small compact CUVs as mid size sedan replacements and performance models in that segment have never been a big seller. The orginal SHO and maybe the Grand National come to mind, but one was pretty expensive and the other was a coupe. Given the target market is younger professionals and that segment not being really into cars generally (painting with a board brush), I still don't see how it can be practical, given Ford's lack of success with the RS (which a Escape ST would be slighter cheaper then) or even to a lesser point the Focus ST...which topped out under the Escape Ti in pricing. They seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place with pricing...they can't bring in something cheap and good...the Ecosport is just ok. 

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The thing is that alot of people don't know how powerful even the last gen 2.0L ecoboost is in the Escape-My parents have a 13 Ti FWD that chirps the tires no problem and my wife's 2017 AWD has no issues accelerating or dealing with traffic on the highway. 

I just wonder how much suspension tuning there is that can be done to improve the ride without compromising comfort with it. 

I still see small compact CUVs as mid size sedan replacements and performance models in that segment have never been a big seller. The orginal SHO and maybe the Grand National come to mind, but one was pretty expensive and the other was a coupe. Given the target market is younger professionals and that segment not being really into cars generally (painting with a board brush), I still don't see how it can be practical, given Ford's lack of success with the RS (which a Escape ST would be slighter cheaper then) or even to a lesser point the Focus ST...which topped out under the Escape Ti in pricing. They seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place with pricing...they can't bring in something cheap and good...the Ecosport is just ok. 

I saw Focus STs everywhere here, though I realize I'm not in a "normal" market.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

EcoSport raises its hand.

They'd make more on a Puma than EcoSport.

The price point of the Ecosport is entry level product for the NA market. The Puma would slot too close to the Escape in price to be profitable IMO. 

I guess Ford is aiming at the high low end and mid-mid range for its new products? The Bronco Sport, Maverick Pickup should be all over $25K starting price. 

Unless Ford is still planning on coming out with another CUV for SA/NA market that will slot between the Escape and Ecosport or be a better fit for the entry level market. 

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

EcoSport raises its hand.

They'd make more on a Puma than EcoSport.

Isn’t the Ecosport also manufactured in India? That probably helps it turn a profit (I’d guess a small one). Subcompact suvs aren’t as popular as other size vehicles either. If you have kids, you aren’t looking at one of these. They are probably a bit more popular in urban areas with lots of small parking spots and single people. I just don’t see the need for vehicles that small. 

On 4/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, silvrsvt said:

I used to see a decent amount of them but they’ve seems to have disappeared 

Kids buy them and beat the crap out of them. Most are probably in a pick a part before the payments are finished.

15 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

Kids buy them and beat the crap out of them. Most are probably in a pick a part before the payments are finished.

Thats exactly what I was thinking also-these types of cars don't have long lifespans because they are used hard and put away wet or crashed into a pole lol

On 5/2/2020 at 5:35 PM, T-dubz said:

Isn’t the Ecosport also manufactured in India?

Yes sir T-dubz, the Ford India plant in Tamil Nadu is one assembly site for EcoSport. Others are the Ford Romania plant in Craiova, the Ford Brazil plant in Camacari, and the Changan Ford JV in China. EcoSport was also assembled at AutoAlliance Thailand until 2018.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:32 AM, jpd80 said:

Yet Ford sees fit to build and sell Corsair with the 2.3 EB, Also the latest Focus ST has the 2.3 EB and it's pretty good....

But the Corsair also has a much higher price point too. The Corsair Reserve starts at $49K with the 2.3L Ecoboost.

You can get into the seat of an Edge ST for that much or for a little more, an Explorer ST. 

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But the Corsair also has a much higher price point too. The Corsair Reserve starts at $49K with the 2.3L Ecoboost.

You can get into the seat of an Edge ST for that much or for a little more, an Explorer ST. 

Not everyone wants a big SUV. You can make the same exact argument for any Escape trim level vs. Edge. The price spread is pretty consistent across the range. 

Quick Google search shows the Corsair 2.3EB is a 6.5 0-60, while the Edge ST is 6.1 seconds.  So fairly close.

I'd argue the Corsair will be a better car luxury wise.  And I personally would rather have the smaller vehicle.  But that is subjective.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what the Corsair GT is going to come back acceleration wise.  If it's the same as the 2.0EB, I think that may be my next car.

15 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Not everyone wants a big SUV. You can make the same exact argument for any Escape trim level vs. Edge. The price spread is pretty consistent across the range. 

Right, but also not many takers (outside of the luxury market) for a say a $42-45k price performance version of a 27K CUV either. I don't see at least in the US, going by past history how an Escape ST would be successful at a 40K price point. The Focus ST is a bit different since it was around $25K or so-decent increase over the base model, but still "affordable" The Fusion ST (don't ever recall seeing one on the road to be honest) was in the mid to high 30K range and didn't sell either. 

I can see possibly a higher end Bronco Sport or maybe the EcoSport or whatever replaces it as a performance version, as long as its under $35K or less. 

Edited by silvrsvt

We’re in a watch and see market now, I can understand no 2.3 ST in Escape when a new Edge is on the way, lots of other new products coming too, so maybe a time to gauge interest and sales interaction before any further changes.

as others have said, the 2.0 EB may be sufficient for most, maybe hybrids will be where the action is in the next year

On 5/2/2020 at 5:35 PM, T-dubz said:

Isn’t the Ecosport also manufactured in India? That probably helps it turn a profit (I’d guess a small one). Subcompact suvs aren’t as popular as other size vehicles either. If you have kids, you aren’t looking at one of these. They are probably a bit more popular in urban areas with lots of small parking spots and single people. I just don’t see the need for vehicles that small. 

A lot of people buy Souls, HRVs, CHRs and whatever the other competition is called.

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

A lot of people buy Souls, HRVs, CHRs and whatever the other competition is called.

CHR - 10k sold, $21,295 base price

RAV4 - 97k sold $25,950 base price

HRV - 19k sold, $20,820 base price

CRV - 71k sold, $25,050 base price 

Soul - 20k sold, $17,490 base price

ecosport - 13k sold, $19,995 base price

escape - 48k sold, $24,885 base price

Looks like this size vehicle is good for 80-100k units a year. Compared to 200-400k for compact SUVs.

Having 2 vehicles in this category doesn’t make any sense. Replacing Ecosport with puma might be ok, but from what I’ve heard, it’s more premium so it would cost more. If it cost more, then it would be more expensive then it’s competition and closer to the escape in price. If it stays the same price as the Ecosport, then ford probably wouldn’t be making as much money off it.