No Escape ST planned

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Having 2 vehicles in this category doesn’t make any sense. Replacing Ecosport with puma might be ok, but from what I’ve heard, it’s more premium so it would cost more. If it cost more, then it would be more expensive then it’s competition and closer to the escape in price. If it stays the same price as the Ecosport, then ford probably wouldn’t be making as much money off it.

The Ecosport is brought over purely over as a Focus/Fiesta replacement price wise (while costing more then them)

There's been talk of a 3 row CUV based on the B or C class platform being built in Mexico, but Hermosillo is going to be a very busy place with the Bronco Sport, Transit Connect and the expected Compact pickup. Something like that might be a better fit for the US and EU markets then the EcoSport that is made for BRIC countries. Once again, due to the pricing, where does Ford build it to make money?

Ford is also seems to be having two-three entries that meet different needs per segment...does this carry over into the low end of the market for the US?

For example:

Subcompact 

Sporty: Puma

CUV: EcoSport

Compact:

CUV: Escape/Kuga

Tough:Bronco Sport

Midsize:
CUV:Explorer

Tough: Bronco

Sporty: Fusion Sportback

Subcompact: Fiesta Active /Puma / EcoSport

Compact: Focus Active / Escape / Bronco Sport

Midsize: Fusion Active / Edge / Bronco

Large: Flex  ?  / Explorer / Everest

Fullsize: Expedition

Emerging market subcompact: Ka Freestyle 

Emerging market compact: Territory

Emerging market midsize: S350

8 hours ago, T-dubz said:

CHR - 10k sold, $21,295 base price

RAV4 - 97k sold $25,950 base price

HRV - 19k sold, $20,820 base price

CRV - 71k sold, $25,050 base price 

Soul - 20k sold, $17,490 base price

ecosport - 13k sold, $19,995 base price

escape - 48k sold, $24,885 base price

Looks like this size vehicle is good for 80-100k units a year. Compared to 200-400k for compact SUVs.

Having 2 vehicles in this category doesn’t make any sense. Replacing Ecosport with puma might be ok, but from what I’ve heard, it’s more premium so it would cost more. If it cost more, then it would be more expensive then it’s competition and closer to the escape in price. If it stays the same price as the Ecosport, then ford probably wouldn’t be making as much money off it.

Oh, I think Puma should replace EcoSport, not having both.

The Puma is FWD and manual transmission only currently where the ecosport can be had with 4wd, also where the Ecosport is sold it can take more of a beating than you would think of a vehicle it’s size.  Not saying the Puma couldn’t be upgraded but that’s even more cost in an already price sensitive market Point.

ford can’t build small cars in the EU and sell them and hope for any profit in the US market. It’s challenging enough to build them in an emerging market and sell them for a profit here. 

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

The Puma is FWD and manual transmission only currently where the ecosport can be had with 4wd, also where the Ecosport is sold it can take more of a beating than you would think of a vehicle it’s size.  Not saying the Puma couldn’t be upgraded but that’s even more cost in an already price sensitive market Point.

ford can’t build small cars in the EU and sell them and hope for any profit in the US market. It’s challenging enough to build them in an emerging market and sell them for a profit here. 

Automatic transmission Puma will be available in Europe and ROW  late this year, or at least was before cv-19,

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Automatic transmission Puma will be available in Europe and ROW  late this year, or at least was before cv-19,

Was odd from the beginning, automatics now make up 50% of the sales in the EU and that number gets higher every year. 

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Not sure how that is gonna work when that would be basically an Escape :)

Should be one size smaller.   C2 will have multiple sizes from small C to mid C (Escape, Corsair) and large C (Mondeo/Fusion).

Another sport based (plastic and stickers of course) truck...wth...yet this is what we can expect going forward...no cars will bite at some point...asnine management decisions only way i can describe how much of a failure ford has become...i hope it works out for them-not convinced

I can visualize a Sport version something like my Sport Hybrid that has no chrome, only black and piano black trim. Add in a 2.3L turbo 4cyl. with some racier wheels and suspension parts and I think it would get attention and some sales once the economy starts to improve. However, I can't visualize an ST version that would be far more expensive.