Yahoo article on Fusion Active

If this thing is going to cost $30-40k, it’s a failure from the start.

if it’s basically a mach-e with a different face and an ICE, it would probably do ok at that price range. But a wagon has no chance at that price. The Subaru Outback that they mention in the article is pretty much the only wagon that sells in any volume worth mentioning and it starts at 26k. Does ford think they can out-Subaru Subaru? I don’t think so.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Ford is too expensive and doesn't lack the brand or product value to back it up outside of their trucks.

But maybe the Bronco and these other products will prove us wrong... Time will tell.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:14 AM, T-dubz said:

The Subaru Outback that they mention in the article is pretty much the only wagon that sells in any volume worth mentioning and it starts at 26k. Does ford think they can out-Subaru Subaru? I don’t think so.

Took a look at one of the local Subaru dealership and 95% of the Outback models where in the $30-40k range. I wouldnt read into the pricing too much on this Ford product, since it should be right around that. As for Ford competing with Subaru-I’m sure they are planning on using the same techniques they are going to use against Jeep with the Bronco Sport and Bronco. Ford identified these markets that have limited competition and a decent profit margin-that’s why they are going after them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

I take what C&D writes with a grain of salt.  You probably will not see this car any time before CY 2022.  With that being said, this would be a great vehicle for FRAP to build.

Most likely will be at Hermosillo with the upcoming Small pickup, Transit Connect and this. Should be about 250-300k units a year between the three. 

I kinda like this idea. I mean it's been out there for a while. I think Subaru's do a good job of providing a great AWD wagon experience. Their AWD systems are top notch. Now their interiors (which have gotten somewhat better) and engines have been the real disappointments. A 250hp AWD wagon with the 8 speed would be a nice option for people who don't necessarily want to drive an SUV/CUV. If they are developing it for Europe, it doesn't sound like it would be a huge financial lift to bring it here. Now, I just don't know how it would sell as the wagon market is really Suburu, Volvo, and VW.

This vehicle really doesn’t appeal to me, and I really don’t understand the necessity of it, since it is so close to an SUV. I know this has been debated ad nauseam, but the Fusion should just remain a sedan and simply improved enough to look new on the exterior and interior, with minor mechanical changes, to keep the costs down. 

• Like 2

Wasnt the fusion supposed to be one of those “white space” vehicles? I don’t consider a wagon a white space vehicle, even if it has extra plastic cladding on it, so I’m hoping this will be something different. A four door coupe with a hatch and a lift might be interesting.

I don't know why some of you keep obsessing with the word wagon. It's just the 3rd midsize utility that completes Farley's vision of having 3 in each segment.

"Sporty" - Fusion Active

"Family" - Edge

"Rugged" - Bronco

This thing will be marketed as a CUV just like Outback which is also not a wagon. 

Edited by bzcat

On 4/26/2020 at 2:19 PM, silvrsvt said:

Most likely will be at Hermosillo with the upcoming Small pickup, Transit Connect and this. Should be about 250-300k units a year between the three. 

I think that Hermosillo is building the Bronco Sport as well so there may not be much more capacity there. 

On 4/26/2020 at 1:19 PM, silvrsvt said:

Wouldn’t OAC make more sense - essentially replace production lost with the end of the Flex/MkT and likely shares more with CD4 Edge than C2 Vehicles at Hermosillo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sullynd said:

Wouldn’t OAC make more sense - essentially replace production lost with the end of the Flex/MkT and likely shares more with CD4 Edge than C2 Vehicles at Hermosillo. 

I doubt that it shares much of anything with CD4 other than powertrains.  Of course the new Edge and Nautilus will also be on C2 in a couple of years so probably depends on timing and how many other vehicles they need to produce at each plant.   That should be the advantage of having all of it on C2 - easier to move production around between at least 3 factories (OAC, Hermosillo and Louisville).

"Just don't call it a station wagon, okay? That's why the Active will likely be butched up with chunky lower body cladding for tackling the trail to Costco."

This is exactly what the people where I live want.  My neighbor's kids all want the Crosstrek because to them it 'looks' rugged and 'cool' without being a truck or Jeep.  Outback is insanely popular here at the many trailhead parking lots and ski resorts all racked up for gear.  Compete in that space, make it affordable, and Ford can definitely hit a sweet spot- for young active buyers who might become loyal into their old age.   

Subaru has an un-earned loyal following.  My Independent loves Subaru's -they keep him in business.  He always has a few in the shop.  This is anecdotal, but he chuckles:  "After 100k miles they constantly break and need repair, but the owners love them so much they just keep fixing them."  Good for his business, they all have the same problems and he has become really good at fixing them over and over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

"Just don't call it a station wagon, okay? That's why the Active will likely be butched up with chunky lower body cladding for tackling the trail to Costco."

This is exactly what the people where I live want.  My neighbor's kids all want the Crosstrek because to them it 'looks' rugged and 'cool' without being a truck or Jeep.  Outback is insanely popular here at the many trailhead parking lots and ski resorts all racked up for gear.  Compete in that space, make it affordable, and Ford can definitely hit a sweet spot- for young active buyers who might become loyal into their old age.   

Subaru has an un-earned loyal following.  My Independent loves Subaru's -they keep him in business.  He always has a few in the shop.  This is anecdotal, but he chuckles:  "After 100k miles they constantly break and need repair, but the owners love them so much they just keep fixing them."  Good for his business, they all have the same problems and he has become really good at fixing them over and over. 

Id say Subaru is a regional brand and does well in areas where AWD is needed. Specifically the northwest, northeast, and Colorado. I couldn’t tell you the last time I actually saw one on the road around me. Unless they nail the styling on this thing, I could see it being another freestyle. What benefit will this provide you over an awd edge if they are priced right around the same? The edge is pretty conservatively styled as it is so does that mean they are going to make this more rugged then the edge? That seems hard to do with a wagon. With the bronco sport and escape, there’s a clear difference and you can tell what market they are after, but an edge and a wagon that’s roughly the same size would both seem to be in that middle area competing in the same market.

just to refresh your memory, here is the focus active wagon. It looks terrible

ford-focus-active-wagon.jpg

3 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

Subaru has an un-earned loyal following. 

Subaru offers customers a unique value proposition unmatched by any other automotive brand. Its vehicles come standard with boxer engine and symmetrical all-wheel drive (except BRZ), which are not offered by other mainstream brands. Subarus generally have good to excellent ratings in safety and reliability tests, offer lots of features for the money, and are designed to be very user friendly. On top of that, Subaru's U.S. sales and marketing team does a great job building long term relationships with customers.

So the loyal following Subaru has isn't unearned. Subaru really does things differently than the rest of the auto industry, and its customers appreciate that. That's why other automakers are unable to "out-Subaru Subaru" as T-dubz said. 

With Fusion Active, Ford will have to come up with its own value proposition for prospective customers. It should not try to emulate Subaru. Making Fusion Active a BEV, maybe using some components from Mustang Mach-E, is the way to go. Ford is ahead of Subaru right now when it comes to BEV development.

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I'm pretty sure Fusion active will look just like a bigger Escape.   :stirpot:

You’re killing me!!  Actually, I think you’re correct. Going forward, all of Ford’s new models will be based on the Escape’s looks. It will be Ford’s take on “the beatings will continue until morale improves”.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Subaru offers customers a unique value proposition unmatched by any other automotive brand. Its vehicles come standard with boxer engine and symmetrical all-wheel drive (except BRZ), which are not offered by other mainstream brands. Subarus generally have good to excellent ratings in safety and reliability tests, offer lots of features for the money, and are designed to be very user friendly. On top of that, Subaru's U.S. sales and marketing team does a great job building long term relationships with customers

But your basically parroting their marketing, which why they are so successful, not what they actually are. 

• Like 1