Yahoo article on Fusion Active

14 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But your basically parroting their marketing, which why they are so successful, not what they actually are. 

Subaru is successful because the engineering applied to their vehicles give those products technical advantages unmatched by other automakers. And because Subaru's marketing people do a good job explaining those advantages to both prospective customers and current owners.

Edited by rperez817

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Subaru does well because they put dogs in every ad.

Correct..they are marketing driven. The boxer engine and AWD doesn't mean shit to the typical consumer who doesn't even change their own oil and there are other products that offer AWD that they compete against.

IMO their styling isn't anything to write home about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trailhiker said:

I think it will be a raised Mondeo Wagon with tasteful side cladding. I doubt styling will chnage much.

You are assuming there will be a Mondeo wagon. Or a Mondeo sedan. Neither of those things are a done deal.

Fusion/Mondeo Active may in fact be a CUV only offering. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, akirby said:

I doubt that it shares much of anything with CD4 other than powertrains.  Of course the new Edge and Nautilus will also be on C2 in a couple of years so probably depends on timing and how many other vehicles they need to produce at each plant.   That should be the advantage of having all of it on C2 - easier to move production around between at least 3 factories (OAC, Hermosillo and Louisville).

EUCD was based on C1. C1>C2 EUCD>CD4

OAC built CD3 and D4, then CD4 and D4, which are more different than whatever this ends up being. 

On 4/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, rperez817 said:

Subaru offers customers a unique value proposition unmatched by any other automotive brand. Its vehicles come standard with boxer engine and symmetrical all-wheel drive (except BRZ), which are not offered by other mainstream brands. Subarus generally have good to excellent ratings in safety and reliability tests, offer lots of features for the money, and are designed to be very user friendly. On top of that, Subaru's U.S. sales and marketing team does a great job building long term relationships with customers.

So the loyal following Subaru has isn't unearned. Subaru really does things differently than the rest of the auto industry, and its customers appreciate that. That's why other automakers are unable to "out-Subaru Subaru" as T-dubz said. 

Yeah all that, but they sure do break down a lot.  I know several folks who own one and they say the same:  We love the car, but it needs to be repaired much more than expected...

30 minutes ago, tzach said:

Can someone please tell me how the boxer engine and symmetrical all-wheel drive are unmatched by any other automotive brand?  

Yes sir.

Boxer engines have pistons that are horizontally opposed. This engine type is balanced because piston movement in one bank of cylinders is countered by the opposite piston movement in the other bank. Boxer engines also have a lower center of mass compared to inline and V engines, which can help improve handling.

smooth_boxer.jpg

Subaru's all-wheel-drive system, in which longitudinally mounted boxer engine is an integral part of the design, achieves almost total side-to-side symmetry. This provides better fore, aft, and lateral balance compared to AWD systems that are "add ons" to FWD or RWD. 

image_awd_physics.jpg?t=1439839769159

Subaru is the only automaker to employ both of these technologies in production cars. Porsche is the only other automaker that still uses boxer engines. 

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir.

Boxer engines have pistons that are horizontally opposed. This engine type is balanced because piston movement in one bank of cylinders is countered by the opposite piston movement in the other bank. Boxer engines also have a lower center of mass compared to inline and V engines, which can help improve handling.

smooth_boxer.jpg

Subaru's all-wheel-drive system, in which longitudinally mounted boxer engine is an integral part of the design, achieves almost total side-to-side symmetry. This provides better fore, aft, and lateral balance compared to AWD systems that are "add ons" to FWD or RWD. 

Subaru is the only automaker to employ both of these technologies in production cars. Porsche is the only other automaker that still uses boxer engines. 

Just to add. I am almost 100 percent sure that most if not all of their AWD systems have coolers so no differential overheating from using. Something as a Ford AWD owner, I can't say.

I honestly hope that Ford...if the Fusion Active (my opinion: should just be called the Fusion - leave off "active") makes it as capable or more capable than the Outback. 

Also...any idea if there would be a Lincoln version? High priced wagon segment is dominated by the Germans and word on the street is Caddy is about to jump back in. 

28 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Borg is saying over on GMI that the Fusion Active is Europe only. Hope that’s incorrect. 

Has Borg/Assimilator left this forum? Haven't seen him post here for awhile. I also hope that the Fusion Active being Europe-only is incorrect as I like the idea of it here. But then again, who knows if there is even a market for it here in the US nowadays.

10 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Has Borg/Assimilator left this forum? Haven't seen him post here for awhile. I also hope that the Fusion Active being Europe-only is incorrect as I like the idea of it here. But then again, who knows if there is even a market for it here in the US nowadays.

Haven't seen him in awhile, but he's prone to the occasional tantrum and exits this forum when we hurt his feelings.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

As mackinaw said, he'll reappear from time to time, and while a lot of his info is good/informative/right, sometimes it's incorrect (nobody can be right 100% of the time) and when that's pointed out, he'll leave for a while and then reappear months later.

He's also saying the US won't get the next gen Ranger until 2024?  Which seems rather far off.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Haven't seen him in awhile, but he's prone to the occasional tantrum and exits this forum when we hurt his feelings.

He never said anything this last time, just disappeared.  He’ll be back when he thinks he has some juicy inside info to impress us with.

18 minutes ago, akirby said:

He never said anything this last time, just disappeared.  He’ll be back when he thinks he has some juicy inside info to impress us with.

I actually do enjoy having him around, as even if the info isn't always correct, it gives us more to discuss.

The problem lies with when there's any sort of disagreement or alternate viewpoint with him/the info, it's the end of the world and means he decides to leave.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

He's also saying the US won't get the next gen Ranger until 2024?  Which seems rather far off.

Rumors were it was supposed to be 2023, but with the forced shutdown it wouldn't shock me if it (along with pretty much EVERYTHING) was pushed back at least 6 months to a year. 

On 5/1/2020 at 4:10 PM, rperez817 said:

Yes sir.

smooth_boxer.jpg

My last two vehicles had Boxer engines....a Porsche Boxster with 2.7L flat 6 and a Crosstrek with 2.0L 4 cylinder. Only Advantage  I saw and felt was the lower center of gravity and the wonderful sounds of the Porsche flat 6 over 4,000  RPM. Reliability very so so and would have been worried about the head gasket on the Subaru if I had kept it and approached 70,000 miles or so.

For me, it's the wonderful Symetrical AWD that makes the Subaru worth a consideration. However, there lack of technology is starting to hurt them IMO. Not much in turbo engines and the plug-in Crosstrek is an overpriced disappointment. I found the infotainment in mine nonintuitive and placed too low. The system in my Escape is placed much higher and much easier to use and keep eyes on road. Add in the hybrid and very little loss of cargo space and the Crosstrek becomes uncompetitive going forward IMO.

A Crosstrek Limited will run $30,000+ and very easy to get the Forester and Outback up to $40,000+ without even trying. And Subaru dealers often do "dealer markup adjustments" and very little in incentives. Guess they will use Toyota to add hybrid models, but if the Crosstrek plugin is an example....then good luck.

42 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I actually do enjoy having him around, as even if the info isn't always correct, it gives us more to discuss.

The problem lies with when there's any sort of disagreement or alternate viewpoint with him/the info, it's the end of the world and means he decides to leave.

I enjoyed his contributions too. It was nice to get a bit of “insider” info every now and again.

• Like 1