New F150 tailgate step?

Hopefully it doesn't drop down low enough to interfere with a trailer hitch or trailer tongue.  Looking at the sketch it appears as though it might. If so, I assume you would also have the option of not folding the tailgate when a trailer is attached.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

Hopefully it doesn't drop down low enough to interfere with a trailer hitch or trailer tongue.  Looking at the sketch it appears as though it might. If so, I assume you would also have the option of not folding the tailgate when a trailer is attached.

Looks like it'd definitely interfere with a hitch.  It looks to be right where the hitch would go.  I'm not sure there's a way to avoid that short of the tailgate sliding underneath the bed floor.

• Like 1

It appears Ford feels obligated to get into the tailgate wars. I have the current tailgate step and I find it very simple and useful. I can’t say whether this new type of tailgate is useful without using it of course, but overcomplicating things worries me.  The one thing I never liked about the GM design is the ability for the tailgate to hit a hitch, so perhaps they Can figure out how to avoid that. 

• Like 2

Advanced issue found

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I'm not sure there's a way to avoid that short of the tailgate sliding underneath the bed floor.

Which negates the whole "step" part.

Ford should have come up with the "Dutch door" system that Ram now offers.

3 hours ago, tbone said:

It appears Ford feels obligated to get into the tailgate wars. I have the current tailgate step and I find it very simple and useful. I can’t say whether this new type of tailgate is useful without using it of course, but overcomplicating things worries me.  The one thing I never liked about the GM design is the ability for the tailgate to hit a hitch, so perhaps they Can figure out how to avoid that. 

If anything, Ford started it by being the first one to offer the tailgate step.

2 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

I've see exactly one of those on the road.  I don't see that being a solution to much.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

the Only thing ford needed to change on their tailgate was add the option for it to swing open like the Honda Ridgelines tailgate does. If it had that, it would be the best out of all the tailgates.

This is probably the only overall solution because I don’t see how they would be able to incorporate a similar step to what they have now with the Dutch door setup. 

i like this , my idea of a great tailgate would be one that once lowered could be pushed or even mechanically pulled under the bed.

this would of course be where the spare is located. this would allow no obstructions when using the bed . the spare could possibly still 

be located there, a thinner tailgate would surely work.  and  include a step that drops down from the rear bumper. hey maybe.

11 minutes ago, beerat29 said:

i like this , my idea of a great tailgate would be one that once lowered could be pushed or even mechanically pulled under the bed.

this would of course be where the spare is located. this would allow no obstructions when using the bed . the spare could possibly still 

be located there, a thinner tailgate would surely work.  and  include a step that drops down from the rear bumper. hey maybe.

That would be cool, but it wouldn’t work. Just imagine all the dirt/rock/gravel that could get in there and jam everything up. Also if you get a good dent in the bed floor, that kinda messes everything up too.

agree about the debris. could have a rubber seal that wipes the tailgate as it retracts in, although it would most likely miss some and jam anyway.

the tailgate has so many uses. i do like the idea of left and right side rear bumper retractable steps, like the side steps.  

just the specs of the diagram is what gave me the idea. if it can have a retractable hinge that drops the gate down that far that space could 

hold a gate.  even though that is the spare location. lower the spare or even raise the bed a little higher than the bumper.

a 3" box in between the bed and spare would hold a gate without the wide top .

a big dent would affect it at the back of the bed , depending on the depth of the dent.

i like it.. 

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

I’ve never understood why tailgates don’t work like my moms old Chevy wagon where it could drop down or swing out. 

My moms 1972 LTD Country Squire did the same thing. it was cool AF but I was 9 years old too.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

I really wish Ford would add this as an option.  I would be awesome for unloading my fifth wheel hitch, and would be great to be able to load things into the back of the truck when the fiver is hooked up.

• Like 1

I wish that they would just quit making the pickups so tall. When I park my '13 F150 next to a mid seventies F150 (or even F250) mine is about 4 inches higher. Even worse, when standing at the tailgate of my '59 F250 I can reach over the tailgate and pick up a pair of pliers off of the bed floor, with my '13 F150, I cannot reach halfway down the inside of the tailgate. (both are 4x4).

I myself think "tailgate ingenuity" is out of control.  How much does that GMC "swiss army knife" tailgate add to  the cost- and pity the poor guy who backs into something.  Granted there will always be those who must have the latest in cool factor- and will pay whatever.  But the older I  get, the more I like the idea of at least the step in the corner of  the bumper-and maybe a pop up grab handle.  Even my FX4 Ranger with stock 31's is a PITA if I  have the gate down and have to climb up to get in bed-  and that is frequently when I'm carrying something that I loaded with a chain and now  have to get the hook off.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, sullynd said:

I’ve never understood why tailgates don’t work like my moms old Chevy wagon where it could drop down or swing out. 

Most likely because those wagon gates don't have to take the loads or abuse that a truck's tailgate does.

On 4/26/2020 at 6:17 PM, rmc523 said:

If anything, Ford started it by being the first one to offer the tailgate step.

I've see exactly one of those on the road.  I don't see that being a solution to much.

the tailgate lift assist with the 2004 model and the tailgate lock in 1997.

This "war" is competitors catching up.